Drennan Acolyte rods

greenie58

Reaction score
Oh perfect timing then finding this thread..
Iv had my Acolyte Ultra 3 section 14ft rod for about 4 years but not used it a lot maybe a dozen times, I look after my gear and keep the rod in a protective tube.

I was out last week and the middle section broke on the cast, I was sickened but luckily had a another rod with me, a quick google when I got home and I found that its not been an uncommon occurrence, a few years ago there seemed to be others having this happen but less so recently which points to there being a problem initially but its been put right?

I rang Drennan customer services yesterday but they are a waste of time, they denied there ever being a problem and advised me to order a new section from a tackle shop as they dont deal with the public, have to say that I was disappointed with the reply that there has never been an issue and advised him to google it.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
After 4yrs i wouldn't expect any help from drennan or any other company for that matter.

sam vimes

Reaction score
After four years and twelve or so uses, I'd not expect any shop, or manufacturer, to supply a free replacement section. Others may think differently, but unless your tackle shop and/or Drennan disagree, you've got no hope. Drennan have never officially dealt direct with the public, they don't even list a phone, or email, contact on their website.

greenie58

Reaction score
After four years and twelve or so uses, I'd not expect any shop, or manufacturer, to supply a free replacement section. Others may think differently, but unless your tackle shop and/or Drennan disagree, you've got no hope. Drennan have never officially dealt direct with the public, they don't even list a phone, or email, contact on their website.

Read my last post

thecrow

Reaction score
If the rod was purchased from a tackle shop then the contract is with the dealer, its for him to sort it out with the customer and also for him to deal with the manufacturer.

Four years is to long a period there is no way the dealer has of knowing what has happened to the rod or how many times it has been used ( I don't disbelieve that this particular rod had only been used 12 times) I believe that the law say's that any goods should be of merchantable quality, how long any merchandise should last though isn't as far as I know laid down in the law, if the rod had broken in say the first 6 months of use then I would think that it would have failed any merchantable quality test but after four years I am afraid its done and dusted.

greenie58

Reaction score
If the rod was purchased from a tackle shop then the contract is with the dealer, its for him to sort it out with the customer and also for him to deal with the manufacturer.

Four years is to long a period there is no way the dealer has of knowing what has happened to the rod or how many times it has been used ( I don't disbelieve that this particular rod had only been used 12 times) I believe that the law say's that any goods should be of merchantable quality, how long any merchandise should last though isn't as far as I know laid down in the law, if the rod had broken in say the first 6 months of use then I would think that it would have failed any merchantable quality test but after four years I am afraid its done and dusted.

I rang Drennan to ask about a replacement section to buy, not a freebie. Im not expecting a free section after 4 years, I mentioned i`d only used it that many times to illustrate how many times Iv used it and not as an excuse. Customer services couldn't even give me a price for a section, thats poor in my opinion.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh perfect timing then finding this thread..
Iv had my Acolyte Ultra 3 section 14ft rod for about 4 years but not used it a lot maybe a dozen times, I look after my gear and keep the rod in a protective tube.

I was out last week and the middle section broke on the cast, I was sickened but luckily had a another rod with me, a quick google when I got home and I found that its not been an uncommon occurrence, a few years ago there seemed to be others having this happen but less so recently which points to there being a problem initially but its been put right?

I rang Drennan customer services yesterday but they are a waste of time, they denied there ever being a problem and advised me to order a new section from a tackle shop as they dont deal with the public, have to say that I was disappointed with the reply that there has never been an issue and advised him to google it.

Problem here is that if you know that you've never banged the rod etc and even if you've used it 50 times the rod rod shouldn't have snapped in 4yrs.
I've been lucky up to now and have given my accy rods some stick, but if they're snapping after four years that isn't good at all !

Are you 100% sure you've never banged the rod etc during the 4yrs?

I think drennan should have a contact number, I think not having one is a bit evasive.

thecrow

Reaction score
I rang Drennan to ask about a replacement section to buy, not a freebie. Im not expecting a free section after 4 years, I mentioned i`d only used it that many times to illustrate how many times Iv used it and not as an excuse. Customer services couldn't even give me a price for a section, thats poor in my opinion.

I agree its very poor customer service, there are though more expensive rods that did have good customer service and now don't, why I don't know staff cutbacks perhaps, poor training or just couldn't give a toss, couldnt your dealer find out a price for you?.

thecrow

Reaction score
This is from the Drennan website.

How can I get a replacement rod or pole section?

To order a replacement rod or pole section, simply visit your local Drennan stockist and they will be able to order you a replacement.

thecrow

Reaction score
This is also from the Drennan site

I have an issue with an item of Drennan tackle I have bought

We operate very strict quality control measures and procedures to ensure all Drennan tackle is of the highest quality and consistency. If you need assistance on an item of tackle that you believe may be damaged or faulty, your first port of call should be with the place of purchase, as your contract of sale is with the retailer. The retailer will need to inspect the item and advise you accordingly. The retailer may then choose to decide to return the item to Drennan for further inspection and will again advise you accordingly.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Read my last post

Sorry, but it wasn't even there to read when I started to type. As I've said elsewhere in this thread, what looks like a big issue on the forums does not necessarily equate to a problem to Drennan. There's no doubt that there have been breakages, whether the numbers actually cross the line into problem territory is another matter entirely. It's unlikely that we'll ever know, because you can't get solid numbers from forums, and Drennan aren't going to let on any time soon.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Customer services couldn't even give me a price for a section, thats poor in my opinion.

As far as I'm aware, Drennan don't even have a customer services. They consider the tackle dealers to be their customer services. That's the way it has been for years. This often seems antiquated in this day and age, but there are plus points for the customer in the way that they operate.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As far as I'm aware, Drennan don't even have a customer services. They consider the tackle dealers to be their customer services. That's the way it has been for years. This often seems antiquated in this day and age, but there are plus points for the customer in the way that they operate.

That's all very well but what does one do when the retailer you bought the item from goes belly up...as many have done and will continue to ? Drennan ( and others to be fair) cant just wash their hands of any kind of customer service responsibility surely ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's all very well but what does one do when the retailer you bought the item from goes belly up...as many have done and will continue to ? Drennan ( and others to be fair) cant just wash their hands of any kind of customer service responsibility surely ?

That's a very good point!