Drennan Acolyte rods

sam vimes

Reaction score
Where are these acolytes made?

I can't honestly say. There's nothing on the rods themselves that I've seen. I've seen nothing on the website. My assumption has always been that they'll be made in the Drennan factory in Mauritius. However, there's still a fair chance that they'll be made somewhere in the far east.

thecrow

Reaction score
I messaged Drennan asking where they are made I received a very prompt reply..........

We Cannot Disclose Any Product Information was the answer I received.

Do they not release information that they want anglers to read in order to promote their products?

I find this answer to be interesting to say the least. Is there something they don't want prospective customers to know?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I messaged Drennan asking where they are made I received a very prompt reply..........

We Cannot Disclose Any Product Information was the answer I received.

Do they not release information that they want anglers to read in order to promote their products?

I find this answer to be interesting to say the least. Is there something they don't want prospective customers to know?

The chances are they are made in China as that's the biggest supplier of rods now by a mile. Very few UK manufacturers left - top-end Daiwa, Harrison, Tricast and Bruce and Walker - all catering for the top end of the market.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The chances are they are made in China as that's the biggest supplier of rods now by a mile. Very few UK manufacturers left - top-end Daiwa, Harrison, Tricast and Bruce and Walker - all catering for the top end of the market.

Thing is I have all those rods except bruce and I walkers and I wish I could say they're the best but if i'm being totally honest I find the drennan float rods are better by a country mile.

Philip

Reaction score
If they are made in China then would it be resonable to assume there is a fair chance that the blanks are being sold under a different guise as well ?

I would be very surprised if Drennan have some sort of exclusivity on whats being churned out of the factory.

thecrow

Reaction score
If they are made in China then would it be resonable to assume there is a fair chance that the blanks are being sold under a different guise as well ?

I would be very surprised if Drennan have some sort of exclusivity on whats being churned out of the factory.
e blanks Chinese and the rods made somewhere else I wonder?

That's what I thought when Drennan wouldn't say where they were made, are th

Philip

Reaction score
blanks Chinese and the rods made somewhere else I wonder?

That's what I thought when Drennan wouldn't say where they were made

I suggested similar in the past and got quite a scolding from the Aco-holics. :wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
e blanks Chinese and the rods made somewhere else I wonder?

I'd suggest that there's a pretty good chance of the blanks being made in China and complete rods assembled in Mauritius.
One thing I'd be pretty sure of is that they aren't made or assembled in the UK. I've not seen a sub £200 rod that is for quite a few years.

Truth be told, I couldn't care less where they are made.

sam vimes

Reaction score
could anyone say how the acolyte compares to the daiwa connoisseur rods ? both I think are similar priced,
or to the cadence rods ?

I think you might struggle to find anyone that has used the new range of Connoisseur rods enough to make the comparison. They only hit the market in the last few weeks. Bare weight figures don't give the full picture, but the Connoisseur specs aren't overly impressive in comparison to Acolytes of the same lengths. However, the line ratings of the Connoisseurs are higher.

A Cadence comparison might be similarly difficult. I've seen and waggled a couple now, but not used one in anger. Based on nothing more that the feel, balance and weight, I'd not be chopping in any of the rods I favour, including Acolytes, for a Cadence. I'd suggest that the Cadence probably punch above their price tag, but not to the extent of topping an Acolyte.

I have alternatives to the Acolytes, but I still feel that, despite a reasonably hefty price tag, the Acolytes offer the best value for money when it comes to match/float rods.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Thanks Sam, I have waggled a couple of cadence rods at the northern angling show, the tip recovery seemed good
as for weight I cant comment, there was no reel fitted, One of my match rods is the Daiwa SR3,
Tip recovery good, line pick up on the strike good, will handle both small and large fish, decent line rating,i am thinking of
getting another rod and was looking for comparisons.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I currently own Drennans IM9 13' Compact rods in FInesse and Classic models, a 12ft Matchpro Ultralight Float Rod and Matchpro medium feeders ..... Are the Alcolytes that much better than what i have??

sam vimes

Reaction score
I currently own Drennans IM9 13' Compact rods in FInesse and Classic models, a 12ft Matchpro Ultralight Float Rod and Matchpro medium feeders ..... Are the Alcolytes that much better than what i have??

In reference to the float rods, probably not. They might be a smidge better (depending on your preferences), but they are a fair bit lighter. I think that you'd notice a difference in the actions.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
In reference to the float rods, probably not. They might be a smidge better (depending on your preferences), but they are a fair bit lighter. I think that you'd notice a difference in the actions.

I agree. Ive got an Im9 Classic, a Matchpro Ultralight and an Acolyte Plus. I bought the plus because I didnt think the Ultra was that different to the Ultralight action wise. The Acolyte is definately lighter but its all relative as neither of the others are what I would call heavy and balance ( with a reel on) is more important imo. I like both the IM9 and the Ultralight very much.

The Accy plus is a bit fiercer than I expected but its meant to be. Not sure I really like it tbh....not even sure why I bought it either. Using up vouchers in desperation as I recall.

Dont know about the Accy feeder rods. Incredibly light but they looked rather fragile to me and as I rarely feeder fish I wasnt tempted.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Truth be told, I couldn't care less where they are made.

Nor would most other anglers I would imagine as it must be almost universally accepted that blanks are made in China making it even stranger to me that Drennan wont say where they are made, perhaps they think that anglers wont purchase stuff made there.

Philip

Reaction score
I do wonder if anglers knew if the same blanks were being sold under a different guise for a cheaper price whether they would still buy the Drennan "build" of the rod or go for the cheaper version.