Drennan Acolyte rods

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've little doubt that there were issues with an early batch of 15' Acolyte Ultras. There were simply a few too many of them reported to have broken very early after release and after little to no use. The dilemma for Drennan is that there has been a certain amount of bandwagon jumping since then on the back of it. Every man and his dog that has broken any kind of Acolyte since has tried to jump on, regardless of whether there's been a genuine problem or one that might have been in some way self inflicted. I can't really blame anyone for it, it's no surprise that someone would prefer to believe that there's been a flaw in a rod rather put it down to accidental damage, especially if there's a chance of getting a replacement for free. I'm not surprised that Drennan will have to draw a line in the sand somewhere. Those that are unfortunate are those with little used early 15' Ultras, or those with a genuinely flawed Acolyte of any type, that are being denied due to those chancing their arm. Whilst some seem to think that Drennan should be replacing anything and everything to preserve their reputation, I feel that their reputation would be in tatters if they simply accepted liability for every break regardless of model or the nature of the breakage. Dig a little deeper into some of the stories of Acolytes breaking and you find a fair amount of Chinese whispers, mates repeating tales of woe that didn't actually happen to them. There are also a few anglers that have broken rods several months, and several heavy uses, into their ownership. I'm afraid that flaws in rods don't usually manifest after several uses and hundreds of pounds of fish caught, but some seem to think they do. Barring the early 15' Ultras, I very much doubt that there have been any greater percentage of genuinely flawed Acolytes than any other brand or type of rod. My conversations with several local tackle dealers suggest that they believe that returns are actually lower than they might anticipate for the numbers sold.

Rest assured, if I manage to break one of my six different Acolyte float rods, I'll not hide the fact. I may well like them a lot, but that doesn't mean I have a blind loyalty to Drennan, I'm not getting the things for free. I actually held off buying Acolytes for a fair while after their initial release because I was wary that, whilst damned impressive in a shop, they might be a bit too light for their own good. I do rather suspect that the Ultra models are a bit too light for many folks more modern idea of float fishing and modern ideas of what a float rod should be capable of. However, these tales of woe didn't stop me buying the last one very recently, and it won't stop me buying one more if the right deal comes along.

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
Even ‘ultra ultra’ thin carbon fibre used on modern built rods doesn't suddenly collapse and bend along a foot of the blank (before and after whipped on rings) without being under any stress whatsoever, no matter how thin walled it is.

Keith

So it didn't actually snap then ? It collapsed or flattened over a length.

Keith M

Reaction score
So it didn't actually snap then ? It collapsed or flattened over a length.

The splits were lengthwise (all the way around the blank) over around 10 to 12 inches and there was also a break at the thinner end; without being under any stress at all while I was threading my line.

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The splits were lengthwise (all the way around the blank) over around 10 to 12 inches and there was also a break at the thinner end; without being under any stress at all while I was threading my line.

Keith

Did drennan sort you out ok Keith?

Keith M

Reaction score
Did drennan sort you out ok Keith?

I will find out very soon as the Drennan rep is picking it up from my local tackle shop to have a look at it the next time he visits.

I had only used it once before; for a half days light waggler fishing after Roach and Rudd; and that was over 12 months before I took it out again and it decided to disintegrate on me as I was threading my line through its rings; and that happened quite a while ago.

It had spent over a year resting horizontally on its own rubber wall pegs amongst all of my other rods. Because I’m usually using one of my slightly heavier float rods after Barbel, Chub, Carp or Tincas and I’m rarely fishing specifically for smaller fish, plus I was laid up for a couple of months after having my knee replaced.

I had bought it new from Leslie’s of Luton just before it closed; and it had passed its guarantee date when it gave up its ghost.

So Im keeping everything crossed.

Last edited:

davebhoy

Reaction score
The top section of my 13’ plus snapped about 10” from the top when I was tackling up recently

I bought it in December of last year, although I hadn’t used it more than 7 or 8 times. Drennan changed it no problem.

Richox12

Reaction score
Doubt it. I understand Drennan will collect from your shop with their own carriers. No need for the rep to do anything. Any lengthy delay after taking a rod/pole section etc into the shop is likely to be due to the shop itself (or, dare I say it, the carrier losing something).

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It may vary shop to shop. Mine was a four week turnaround based on the rep visiting the shop

davebhoy

Reaction score
I bought mine online from fishing republic, it took a couple of days for them to get approval from drennan for the replacement but from them sending me a postage label, to drennan contacting me for my details and me receiving the tube was less than a couple of weeks

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has snapped a replacement section? That really would be a concern

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
So my brand new Accy compact Ultra arrived this morning, started to put line on it, pulled it through the tip eye with hardly any pressure and I now have a 3 piece rod. Totally gutted :(

IMG_2985 2.jpg

IMG_2984 2.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
And yet still Drennan dont seem to accept there is a fundamental flaw with the Acolytes. I cannot think of any other rod ever with such a reputation for unexplained catastrophic failures.....and I also cannot believe that it has nothing to do with the thinness of the blank.

It is all very well producing an incredibly light rod but what is the point if as a consequence it is so fragile ? Wish I'd never bought mine now....seems its only a matter of time.

mikench

Reaction score
Nick that is very worrying! The break looks like a serious product defect and not just a snapped tip! I hope you seek and obtain proper redress!

rob48

Reaction score
This is getting beyond a joke now.
I've got a 14' Ultra but it hardly seems worth the risk of trying to put line through it.
I've only used it once and it looks like it's going to remain that way.

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
Nick that is very worrying! The break looks like a serious product defect and not just a snapped tip! I hope you seek and obtain proper redress!

You know Mike I hardly touched it to be honest i was pulling line off the spool through the tip without hardly any bend in the rod, cannot believe how easy it went, I'm thankful it went, as I was planning on fishing with it tomorrow. Yet my Compact plus gets so much abuse its unreal. I can only assume its older stock? This has right put me off, think I will go and buy a Mach 3 instead.

The redress is in hand