Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  119
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Default Re: Drennan Acolyte rods

A mate of mine imports telescopic sights, under his own brand name, from one of the Chinese optics factories. They are built to his own unique specs. Unsurprisingly, you can buy scopes, from other brands, that look superficially quite similar. Chinese factories will generally do as the customer requests. If the customer pays for it, that can include top level QC and different levels of exclusivity. If the customer wants cheap, they can do that, but QC and exclusivity is likely to go out of the window.

Just because a blank might be sourced from China doesn't mean that is available for any other brand to buy. Drennan blanks may, or may not, be sourced from a Chinese factory, but they could easily have a tight exclusive deal. An exclusivity deal may be the reason why Drennan are reticent to even admit where their blanks are sourced. However, if the Acolyte blanks appeared under another guise, I'd happily take a look. The design and lightness of them should mean that they'd be fairly easy to spot, even with different graphics, colour schemes and handle designs.

It raises 2 basic questions the first being the $64,000 one as such : - ARE the blanks available either separatly or under a different guide elsewhere ?.. and I wonder if Drennans relucntance to shed any light may be a clue or an attempt to protect that…and who can blame them !

And second what really makes a rod , is it the blank or the build ?

Probably a combination of both but, for me, the blank is the heart of a rod not the dressing they add after.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Chinese optics factories.
    Would that be the brand with models bearing the names of snakes Chris?

4. Default Re: Drennan Acolyte rods

If a company will not reveal details when asked it usually means they think their customers won't like the answer.

5. Default Re: Drennan Acolyte rods

Taken from Drennan's own web-site

All research and tackle development remains in the UK together with some of the more complex high-tech production, however, the company now has six purpose built factories outside of Europe in an economically competitive location. This low-cost location allows the company to offer the bulk of its range of tackle at prices which are comparable with Chinese manufacture but which are of superior design and have a much higher quality of build.

Whilst they not saying what country they're not exactly hiding the fact it's made overseas. I'm sure I saw an interview with Peter Drennan where he said most of there stuff was made in Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by stillwater blue View Post
    I'm sure I saw an interview with Peter Drennan where he said most of there stuff was made in Malaysia
    I suspect that you are confusing Malaysia with Mauritius.

7. Default Re: Drennan Acolyte rods

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I suspect that you are confusing Malaysia with Mauritius.
    I suspect you're correct

Sam/ Guys',

I often wonder if this damage thing is a bit like Chinese whispers, one chap breaks a rod, and it gets around that all the rods are a problem. I honestly think if Drennan had this problem we would have known about it bigger time, as we anglers love to moan.
    I have to concede the lightness must come at some price, but design is coming on leaps and bounds. I'm touching wood now, but in 50 years and maybe over 100 rods in have never broken a rod, apart form one. That was a wrap around with braid, it had no chance really.

The Acolytes are amazing rods, I have two and love them both.

Rich.

I don’t see any reason to think acolytes have any more of a problem than other float rods, especially fine tipped carbon ones with hollow tips. eBay always seems to have a few with a few inches missing from their tip.

I’ve never broken one casting a float or playing a fish, so can only presume they don’t take kindly to having other things done to them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dicky123 View Post
    Sam/ Guys',

I often wonder if this damage thing is a bit like Chinese whispers, one chap breaks a rod, and it gets around that all the rods are a problem. I honestly think if Drennan had this problem we would have known about it bigger time, as we anglers love to moan.
    I have to concede the lightness must come at some price, but design is coming on leaps and bounds. I'm touching wood now, but in 50 years and maybe over 100 rods in have never broken a rod, apart form one. That was a wrap around with braid, it had no chance really.

The Acolytes are amazing rods, I have two and love them both.

Rich.
    Rich my Acolyte Ultra tip section suddenly decided to fold itself into ‘several’ pieces along about a foot of the blank one morning while threading line through it’s rings; after only being out of its bag a couple of times before, and without it ever suffering from any wrap rounds or being hit against anything or being unduly stressed.

When looking at the broken pieces it looked fairly obviousl to me that it must be a fault with the blank and the Carbon was as thin as a cigarette paper in places and how they even managed to whip the rings on in places was baffling to me.

During my 56-plus years of fishing I have owned many different light float rods and I too have only ever had one rod break before, and that was a Shakespeare match international back in the late 70s which broke near its tip while I was playing a fairly large Roach but that was because I had previously caught a branch when striking, but believe me this recent break was not caused by any mishandling of the rod by me.

Fortunately Drennan seem to have fixed the fault that plagued their first batch of the rod and their ultras now seem to be fine, so I just put it down to a temporary glitch that was quickly sorted.
    I have owned many Drennan rods before and every one of them have been excellent rods so I was a little surprised when this fault happened to me.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 29-07-2018 at 18:48.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast