Drennan Acolyte rods

mikench

Reaction score
Are these rods in all their guises to be regarded as primarily river float rods or equally at home on stillwaters?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are these rods in all their guises to be regarded as primarily river float rods or equally at home on stillwaters?

Either or Mike, they're equally as good on both still and running water imo at least.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I tended to feel that their fast action was better suited to trotting. However, after giving them a good go for stillwater waggler work, I've changed my mind a bit. They'll do either pretty comfortably. Some folks won't think they are tippy enough for trotting, some will think they are a bit too tippy for waggler work. It all comes down to individual preferences.

The one thing I am wary of when using them is wrap arounds. They seem to suffer more than most rods. It's very easy to notice before it's too late when trotting with a pin, but it's not so easy when casting a waggler overhead. Trying to belt out even a fairly small float can be disastrous if you've got a wrap around.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I recently bought an Eleven foot Acolyte Carp Waggler going cheap. Enjoy using it for my tench fishing on the estate and a few days ago used it for my Rudd fishing.

I was impressed with its ability to handle the smaller fish with a nice softness in the tip but when a few double figure carp snaffled the bait the rod was amazing, admittedly I lost a few only using a 2lb hooklength but I put that down to my lack of experience and a lack of patience!

I’m certain the rod will be equally at home on the river catching roach and chub.......hopefully!

davebhoy

Reaction score
I use mine for both, I've sold almost all of my float rods because I like it so much, its an absolute pleasure to use

Shame about the fragile tips, though. Mine broke off last week when I was tackling up, so its gone back for a replacement

There is a sale on at Fishing Republic at the moment - 20% off everything online, including, from what I can gather, Acolytes. I'm extremely tempted to buy a 15' plus and I'm looking for something longer and the Shimano Technium Specimen Match is a bit too heavy for my dodgy shoulder

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I I'm certain the rod will be equally at home on the river catching roach and chub.......hopefully!

It is, i've used the 11ft carp waggler for that purpose on a number of occassions. I did swap it for another 13ft plus rod though but finnished up getting a 12ft carp waggler to replace the 11 footer as I prefered the extra foot for my venues.

mikench

Reaction score
It's the fear of a wrap around which puts me off! I thought this susceptibility had been sorted !:confused:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's the fear of a wrap around which puts me off! I thought this susceptibility had been sorted !:confused:

Mike, seriously now, forget about the wrap rounds. I've got three 13ft plus's, a 14ft plis and a 12ft carp waggler and despite having had the line wrapped round my rod tip (as I have with all my rods) the tip hasn't snapped off any of them ;).
Just get one, i'm confident you'll love the rod !

Oh, don't blame me if the tip breaks LOL.......only jokin, it won't :).

barbelboi

Reaction score
As mentioned above probably much depends upon the user. I feel equally at at home with the Ultra trotting or margin fishing ponds/pits for crucians/roach.

sam vimes

Reaction score

Wrap arounds alone don't break rods. Failing to pay attention and trying to cast with a wrap around is what causes breakages, or weakening of a blank which leads to a breakage. Wrap arounds are a product of the action with a smidge of help from wind, ring geometry and inattention. To sort the susceptibility would mean a redesign and change of action. Doing that would mean it wasn't the same rod. The only rumoured change was to the very early 15' Ultra that was supposed to be especially delicate. The rumour that did the rounds was that the rings may have been whipped a little too tight. That may have weakened the blank.

I've got five Acolyte float rods now, including the supposedly dodgy 15' Acolyte Ultra (and both 11'/13' Ultras and 17' Acolyte Float). I've given them an awful lot of use/borderline abuse (I doubt Mr Drennan had big Polaris floats and 1oz feeders in mind for them.) as I've become more confident in them. As yet, I've successfully failed to break any of them.

Philip

Reaction score
I mulled about it as I quite like the idea of a 15 foot + rod for trotting and stret pegging & everyone raves about them but I just cant be worrying that I'll break it everytime I use it. I dont pamper my rods and when I use them they stay set up and I just store them in the Garage or shed and then straight into the car. They will get banged around a bit and basically used and abused. I just get the feeling the Acolytes wont work for me.

I'm someone whose happy to trade off a bit on the weight & action for more robustness.

iain t

Reaction score
I used my 14 plus float rod on stillwaters and trotting on the rivers. Works perfectly for both waters. There was problems with the first batch with the tip being fragile. Mine was from that batch and didn't have any problems. Maybe because am gentle when casting floats. Handled light waggles with ease. Regreting i sold it now.
If i do the washing up and hovering for a few months perhaps the wife may let me buy the 17ft version.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I mulled about it as I quite like the idea of a 15 foot + rod for trotting and stret pegging & everyone raves about them but I just cant be worrying that I'll break it everytime I use it. I dont pamper my rods and when I use them they stay set up and I just store them in the Garage or shed and then straight into the car. They will get banged around a bit and basically used and abused. I just get the feeling the Acolytes wont work for me.

I'm someone whose happy to trade off a bit on the weight & action for more robustness.

They're not that delicate, infact they're no more delicate than any other propper match rod.
I wouldn't leave em made up all the time though.
Sounds like your better off with an old avon style rod that your not worried about it getting broken. Strange though as it seems the more you cherish something the more chance it has of getting damaged.....soda law I suppose.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Like Tigger, I don't believe that the Acolytes are any more delicate than other comparable float rods. I do not treat or use them any differently to other comparable rods I own. However, similar to Tigger, I don't leave anything lighter than an Avon type rod made up, nor do I use rod wraps/tip tops and transport them on the outside of a quiver.

Philip

Reaction score
Out of interest, how do you guys transport your rods to the water ...horse drawn carridge ?

I jest. :)

But really, in terms of carrying made up rods I actually think there is less chance of breaking something like a typical match rod n transit than say a standard Carp or Avon rod. The reason is because for the most part although match rods are longer they will break down smaller than an Avon or Carp rod. ...usually into 3 parts rather than 2. The fact its in a smaller package means there is less chance that you going to break a bit of it as you slam a car door or boot or stab it into a bush as you carry it in your hand along the river bank.

sam vimes

Reaction score
That ignores the fact that the blank of a float rod is much less robust than any Avon rod I've encountered, let alone a barbel or carp rod.
There's little doubt that a longer rod is more likely to have a boot or door closed on it, but, as I've not managed that yet, I don't take it into consideration. My float rods, of any brand, are transported in their bags or in their bags on the outside of a quiver, with landing net pole(s) as a protective screen, at the very least. However, that's a rarity, I'd sooner put them in protective sleeves or rod tubes. I have always considered transporting proper match rods with bands/tip tops on the outside of a quiver to be asking for trouble, regardless of the make or model of rod.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Out of interest, how do you guys transport your rods to the water ...horse drawn carridge ?

I jest. :)

But really, in terms of carrying made up rods I actually think there is less chance of breaking something like a typical match rod n transit than say a standard Carp or Avon rod. The reason is because for the most part although match rods are longer they will break down smaller than an Avon or Carp rod. ...usually into 3 parts rather than 2. The fact its in a smaller package means there is less chance that you going to break a bit of it as you slam a car door or boot or stab it into a bush as you carry it in your hand along the river bank.

Everything about a match rod is more delicate than an avon rod, especially the guiedes and the top section/tip in particular.
Regarding the car door, just pay attention and don't trap it.
I do usually take my match rod made up and banded together when fishing on my own but it's in the car on the back seat or passenger seat secured with a towel or something on top of it to stop it falling about. I usually assemble it on arrival and carry it in my hand. I take my tube and bag in the car and dissasemble the rod when I get back at the car and put it away safe in its bag and hard tube.
I never leave rods made up, no matter what rod it is. I might make a rod up before I go but imo leaving a reel strapped to a rod isn't a good thing. The rods reel holder is under constant pressure along with the reels foot. Also having the rod blanks strapped together and having a constant pressure on small points of the blank can't be a good thing and may cause weak spots in the blank.

Took me yonks writing that through watching Bellator so missed Sams post !

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Yes, I cant say its really a surprise we all disagree :)

I am not doubting a typical match rod is more delicate generally than say a typical Avon or Carp rod. What I am saying is that as the match rods generally break down smaller its easier to stock and carry.

Ian I cant say I agree about the reel seat. Whilst keeping the reel on the rod may add a miniscule about of stress to the blank I have yet to see a rod snap at the reel seat or a rod blank to suffer due to leaving reels on.

If anything the constant loosening & tightening of the reel seat you do by taking the reel off each time is probably doing more damage to the blank than just leaving it on.

Of course for storage its easier to take the reel off if you dont have the space but as I say I like to leave my rods setup.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I cant say its really a surprise we all disagree :)

I am not doubting a typical match rod is more delicate generally than say a typical Avon or Carp rod. What I am saying is that as the match rods generally break down smaller its easier to stock and carry.

Ian I cant say I agree about the reel seat. Whilst keeping the reel on the rod may add a miniscule about of stress to the blank I have yet to see a rod snap at the reel seat or a rod blank to suffer due to leaving reels on.

If anything the constant loosening & tightening of the reel seat you do by taking the reel off each time is probably doing more damage to the blank than just leaving it on.

Of course for storage its easier to take the reel off if you dont have the space but as I say I like to leave my rods setup.

I only answered your question Philip, I didn't say we'd agree on things.
Regarding avon rods being more awkward to carry when made up I have no problems at all if I take one of mine made up in exactly the same fashhion as I do with the match rod. I do have a 11ft avon smuggler rod so that would be nice and short for you if you wanted to carry that made up lol.
I also use several two peice match/float rods...a hardy supero 11ft 6inch rod and a 12ft acolyte carp waggler....no prob's with transporting them made up.

Last edited: