Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  119
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Default Drennan Acolyte rods

Are these rods in all their guises to be regarded as primarily river float rods or equally at home on stillwaters?

Default Re: Drennan Acolyte rods

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Are these rods in all their guises to be regarded as primarily river float rods or equally at home on stillwaters?
    Either or Mike, they're equally as good on both still and running water imo at least.

I tended to feel that their fast action was better suited to trotting. However, after giving them a good go for stillwater waggler work, I've changed my mind a bit. They'll do either pretty comfortably. Some folks won't think they are tippy enough for trotting, some will think they are a bit too tippy for waggler work. It all comes down to individual preferences.

The one thing I am wary of when using them is wrap arounds. They seem to suffer more than most rods. It's very easy to notice before it's too late when trotting with a pin, but it's not so easy when casting a waggler overhead. Trying to belt out even a fairly small float can be disastrous if you've got a wrap around.

I recently bought an Eleven foot Acolyte Carp Waggler going cheap. Enjoy using it for my tench fishing on the estate and a few days ago used it for my Rudd fishing.

I was impressed with its ability to handle the smaller fish with a nice softness in the tip but when a few double figure carp snaffled the bait the rod was amazing, admittedly I lost a few only using a 2lb hooklength but I put that down to my lack of experience and a lack of patience!

I’m certain the rod will be equally at home on the river catching roach and chub.......hopefully!

I use mine for both, I've sold almost all of my float rods because I like it so much, its an absolute pleasure to use

Shame about the fragile tips, though. Mine broke off last week when I was tackling up, so its gone back for a replacement

There is a sale on at Fishing Republic at the moment - 20% off everything online, including, from what I can gather, Acolytes. I'm extremely tempted to buy a 15' plus and I'm looking for something longer and the Shimano Technium Specimen Match is a bit too heavy for my dodgy shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    I I'm certain the rod will be equally at home on the river catching roach and chub.......hopefully!
    It is, i've used the 11ft carp waggler for that purpose on a number of occassions. I did swap it for another 13ft plus rod though but finnished up getting a 12ft carp waggler to replace the 11 footer as I prefered the extra foot for my venues.

It's the fear of a wrap around which puts me off! I thought this susceptibility had been sorted !

It's the fear of a wrap around which puts me off! I thought this susceptibility had been sorted !
    Mike, seriously now, forget about the wrap rounds. I've got three 13ft plus's, a 14ft plis and a 12ft carp waggler and despite having had the line wrapped round my rod tip (as I have with all my rods) the tip hasn't snapped off any of them .
    Just get one, i'm confident you'll love the rod !

Oh, don't blame me if the tip breaks LOL.......only jokin, it won't .

As mentioned above probably much depends upon the user. I feel equally at at home with the Ultra trotting or margin fishing ponds/pits for crucians/roach.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Wrap arounds alone don't break rods. Failing to pay attention and trying to cast with a wrap around is what causes breakages, or weakening of a blank which leads to a breakage. Wrap arounds are a product of the action with a smidge of help from wind, ring geometry and inattention. To sort the susceptibility would mean a redesign and change of action. Doing that would mean it wasn't the same rod. The only rumoured change was to the very early 15' Ultra that was supposed to be especially delicate. The rumour that did the rounds was that the rings may have been whipped a little too tight. That may have weakened the blank.

I've got five Acolyte float rods now, including the supposedly dodgy 15' Acolyte Ultra (and both 11'/13' Ultras and 17' Acolyte Float). I've given them an awful lot of use/borderline abuse (I doubt Mr Drennan had big Polaris floats and 1oz feeders in mind for them.) as I've become more confident in them. As yet, I've successfully failed to break any of them.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast