How Do I ?

thecrow

Reaction score
As suggested by Simon i have started this thread to try to sort out how to catch the Carp that were in my swim today.

I fish about 20ft out, there is Canadian pondweed for around 15ft of that 20ft the water is 10ft deep where the pondweed is, the bottom is fairly clear as is the water, i have trees very close to each side of the swim, Carp show here regularly sometimes close to the trees but i cannot fish there because of the weed, they also show out in front of me where i fish.

There is a good head of Carp in the water and the largest i have seen would be a common into the high 20s, i have seen this fish twice in front of me.

Tackle is a rod with perhaps a 1.5 tc with a through action coupled with a TFG classic centrepin loaded with 6lbs Maxima which is fished straight through to a 8s korum, float is a 10" waggler taking 4 SSG it is fished as a slider 1ft over depth with 2 BB 6/8 inches from the hook to counter the undertow which this lake seems to have all the time even when there isn't much wind.

Bait is 3/4 inch cubes of Spam Hot and Spicy, i have been using this on here ever since i started fishing the lake and have taken plenty of Tench on it all be it on much smaller cubes.

Last week i lost 3 Carp on much lighter tackle while Tench fishing so today i went back with the above tackle to try to fish only for the Carp, i had no Carp but did have 10 Tench.

Question. the lake has a large head of silvers, could they be whittling the bait down to a size small enough for the Tench to take before any Carp has chance to take it, i have though caught Tench almost immediately after casting in on the 3/4 inch cubes so i am not sure, i have even had them take it on the drop.

So that's the problem, what if anything can i do to not catch so many or no Tench and catch one of the Carp, i don't care how big it is i just want to try to sort out a method that is a bit more Carp targeted.

Sorry about the long post.

Ps i forgot to mention that i had missed a number of bites before deciding to wait until the line tightened to the rod which seemed to work.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd throw in pieces of slightly squeezed bread, squeezed just enough so it sinks slowly. Then i'd hook a piece on and cast it to the spot of the freebies and just free line it, no weights, no floats, just the baited hook.
I used to do the same with casters and they worked a treat also. I'd squeeze the casters so their guts came out and the slime sealed up the hole made by the hook. For the casters i'd use a hook of about 14s and I'd put several or more on the hook, then switch to one and bury the hook in it.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Try a Tiger nut.

All in all it sounds to me like your not doing much wrong and the issue is basically a large head of Tench in there. If your catching the Tench and lost 3 Carp already then I’d be inclined to just carry with the heavier tackle, wade through the Tench and a Carp will turn up eventually.

Last edited:

Another Dave

Reaction score
Maybe try lightly frying the cubes of meat if you're worried about whittling. I've only used Plumrose luncheon meat and i've not noticed any whittling going on but then i'm only dealing with minnows and micro dace.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I assume you've tried surface fishing for the carp? Yes, you have quite deep water but if you can see the carp............................

With all that weed I think I would start on, or up in the water, late evening or early morn. Just a guess...

laguna

Reaction score
Avoiding the tench? I have never heard of such a thing!
I would fish up in the water or use a zig at the depth where carp would normally cruise, and avoid bottom where tench tend to grub about.
You could also try feeding maggots which have been soaked in a tray of shallow water for a few minutes - this will make most of them float or sink very slowly.
Another way would be to use a pellet waggler for the splash to attract carp or a bagging waggler.
*Tench will also come up in the water to intercept feed, but I imagine most will happily stay on the bottom.

thecrow

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers.

Anything that is softish or small will be seized upon by the massive head of silvers that are in the water, maggots are a no no as small Perch abound and take them as soon as they hit the water. Nuts are banned. I have thought about frying the meat to give it a skin probably my next move.

Surface fishing I haven't tried and at the moment I wont because of all the mallard chicks that are on the water, any disturbance on the surface made by an angler sees them skittering across the surface in search of food, its amazing how quickly they have learned.

Zig rigs are another option but would need to be fake because of the silvers and I am not sure that they are allowed, this is a predominantly none carp run club.

While the water was flat yesterday I did see on several occasions fizzing in front of the next swim but much further out than I fish, its also where Carp show as well, I could fish a lead but would prefer to catch one on the float, with this in mind I have thought about using a heavy missile type float with a fixed spool reel instead of a pin that would enable me to reach the area.

I know that I am handicapping myself as well as being handicapped by club rules, its a challenge that I am determined to overcome though.

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
Pellet waggler with banded pellets. I’ve been having quite a lot of success with it for carp with 12mm Robin Red pellets on a number 8 hook. If you don’t like the intensity of casting and loose feeding, you can slow down the cadence, which has worked for me. I also like the tackle simplicity by using a weighted float, doubled up line stops, and a hook - nothing else required.

thecrow

Reaction score
Pellet waggler with banded pellets. I’ve been having quite a lot of success with it for carp with 12mm Robin Red pellets on a number 8 hook. If you don’t like the intensity of casting and loose feeding, you can slow down the cadence, which has worked for me. I also like the tackle simplicity by using a weighted float, doubled up line stops, and a hook - nothing else required.

It isn't the type of water with the big stocks that of Carp that would make it viable, I have however thought about using a dropper with pellet and fishing a large pellet over them on a very short hair that would keep the pellet next to the hook shank.

iain t

Reaction score
One of the ponds i fish has some nice Carp but is full of Rudd too. What i found is to heavily feed an area away from where my hook bait is. I lightly feed the area which am fishing. I find that the Rudd concentrate on the heavily baited area for a long time, leaving my hook bait a better chance to catch the Carp.

mikench

Reaction score
Graham why would you prefer carp to tench, rudd and roach? I catch carp but most often by default as I am after silvers and tench! Crucians are exempt from my dislike/ambivalence but I would happily swap waters with you!:)

thecrow

Reaction score
Graham why would you prefer carp to tench, rudd and roach? I catch carp but most often by default as I am after silvers and tench! Crucians are exempt from my dislike/ambivalence but I would happily swap waters with you!:)

Simple Mike its a challenge, I have had some success with other species in there just not the Carp, I am also looking for a bit of revenge for the times they have had the upper hand on lighter tackle :)

Once I have caught one I wont bother what comes along but for now?

thecrow

Reaction score
Having another bash tomorrow and having taken some of the advice offered I have decided to try 2 things.

Toughen the meat up, I have salted some cubes to draw moisture out of them and placed them in the sun to dry it out as much as I can, it seems to be working the only worry I have is if the meat will rehydrate.

Take only pellets as feed and fish some 12mm halibuts I have on a very short hair, I am a little bothered that fish might be hooked outside of the mouth doing this so I shall be reducing my hook size in order to try to avoid it.

I have another thing to try when I can get to a nursery centre but that will be another day.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
It sounds to me like the tench are in good numbers here and are thus quite hungry, so perfectly prepared to take any bait that fits in their mouth.

You mentioned 3/4 inch cubes of meat. How about doubling that? I think it would then make a bait that your 3lb tench is genuinely going to struggle to eat, whereas that's a delightful morsel for a 20-plus carp? Or.... a 22mm halibut pellet?