The art of fishing sucessfully

Jelster

Reaction score
Do these days only happen to anglers?

You wouldn't believe some of the things that have messed up photography trips for me, such as hiking up a very steep hill in the Lake District, only to find I had packed the wrong filters, so that dreamy, creamy slow exposed waterfall shot was never going to happen. Or travelling into London to take some shots on the Southbank, and I left the camera battery in the charger on my desk....

I have to be honest, I haven't had a really bad fishing experience since I was a teenager, other than catching naff all....

Philip

Reaction score
What I don’t understand is why is it when I lose an item of tackle like a float or a lure or whatever it always ends up dangling over the water at a distance of exactly 1 inch further than me at full tippy toe stretch + whatever my longest item of tackle is. I swear its like a law of physics. Einstein shold have written a formulae for it..

Humans max reach(HMR) + Longest tackle item(LTI) + 1 = your getting soaked

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I can carry on fishing unsuccessfully now without feeling like a complete Bonzo.
Just an aside, one of my sisters emailed me yesterday and told me how she came across a couple of blokes magnet fishing in a canal, she asked them how they caught fish using magnets, I bet when she walked off they couldn't contain themselves-dozy mare and I have 4 more just the same and I had to grow up with that, it runs in the family.
Onwards and sideways is my motto; kept me going through the years. :)

Last edited:

Jelster

Reaction score
I have only just returned to the hobby after a break of around 5 years. The other day, I said to my wife, "Do you fancy a couple of hours by the river?" and to my surprise she agreed...

So there I am, knocking out little Roach, when a larger Perch decided it was his turn, and it took the hook down. I then realised that my discorger was in my bag, which was out of reach (yes, poor oganisation on my part). I asked her to pass me my bag, and when I opened it, it was on a slope and a number of items fell out. She quickly picked them up and asked "Are you this awkward when you are on your own?"

I chose not to rise to the bait!!:rolleyes:

john step

Reaction score
I have only just returned to the hobby after a break of around 5 years. The other day, I said to my wife, "Do you fancy a couple of hours by the river?" and to my surprise she agreed...

So there I am, knocking out little Roach, when a larger Perch decided it was his turn, and it took the hook down. I then realised that my discorger was in my bag, which was out of reach (yes, poor oganisation on my part). I asked her to pass me my bag, and when I opened it, it was on a slope and a number of items fell out. She quickly picked them up and asked "Are you this awkward when you are on your own?"

I chose not to rise to the bait!!:rolleyes:

That made me chuckle.

Not a fishing howler this, but worth mentioning amongst these foulups.........
A colleague told me about how his wife was told by the doctor to use bicarbonate of soda in her ear for wax.
She complained to him that it made sleeping uncomfortable because the grains poured back out onto the pillow overnight and were itchy.

Keith M

Reaction score
I remember using floating crusts for Carp one night on a small pond and Casting right across to the far side in the dark, and after a few minutes I had a good take which I struck, and my line was strangely going up into the sky; I had hooked a duck which had flown upwards and I had to play it down again, before trying to unhook it.

I remember that on another night on the same pond I cast two leger rods over to the other side and waited; and waited; and waited till the light of the dawn had arrived and swinging on a branch close to (but not in) the water where both of my baits and end tackle.

I also remember Pike fishing with my mate Terry on a gravel pit using legered spratt’s one winters morning and it was so slow going that after a few hours I decided to wander around the lake, with my mate looking after my rods.
As I wandered I saw our baits sitting in about two or three inches of water as we had both cast right on top of a submerged gravel bar.

I could recount lots of similar things that have happened over the years like the time when I ended up in the Thames after the bank I was on decided to collapse into the water etc. :doh: