Morrells Severe laquer for floats....

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Bit of a long shot, this............

Unfortunately, I am unable to obtain the above product under Code NO 8203/362 in anything like small quantities (the smallest at 5L for the princely sum of £35!) as my friendly supplier no longer supplies it.

Since being recommended this company by George 387 many moons ago it has been my 'go to' finish for floats and it has stood the test of time, and has always been reliable.

For my limited use I cannot justify £35 for 5L when 1L would last me for ages. If I cannot obtain it I will need to find an alternative which offers the same 20% sheen and gives zero colour.

If anyone has any ideas around the Morrells (or a proven alternative) I would be most grateful if they would let me know on here or via a PM

Thanks for any help/advice...........

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting Morrells directly? A nicely penned letter explaining your dilemma must just get a result.

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
If there are others on here who like to make floats as well, and live in your area, why not but a 5L tin between a few people? Buy one and split it.

B

binka

I bought mine in 1 litre bottles from Thirsk Decorating Centre, Tony.

Their website has been down and displaying a maintenance notice for some time but it does say to give them a ring on 01845 440668, the only issue was that it was a flat rate postage cost due to the weight and I think this was £6 so I ordered two litres which would probably be around two thirds of the cost you've been quoted for five.

Cheaper on the face of it but not as good value in the bigger picture but having made well over a hundred floats with it, plus having varnished numerous float boxes and other things, I still have plenty left and I have no idea what I'd do with 5 litres.

john r stockburn

Reaction score
Bit of a long shot, this............

Unfortunately, I am unable to obtain the above product under Code NO 8203/362 in anything like small quantities (the smallest at 5L for the princely sum of £35!) as my friendly supplier no longer supplies it.

Since being recommended this company by George 387 many moons ago it has been my 'go to' finish for floats and it has stood the test of time, and has always been reliable.

For my limited use I cannot justify £35 for 5L when 1L would last me for ages. If I cannot obtain it I will need to find an alternative which offers the same 20% sheen and gives zero colour.

If anyone has any ideas around the Morrells (or a proven alternative) I would be most grateful if they would let me know on here or via a PM

Thanks for any help/advice...........

use two pack auto motive laquer , very hard wearing and cheap

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and suggestions...

Steve; Strangely, I went to the actual Morrells workshop in H. Wycombe yesterday to double check on sizes and was told catagorically that this product only came in 5/25L cans. I even asked if they did 'sample pots' for customers to try, or if they where able to sell me a small quantity, and the answer was just as helpful.

I also checked on ebay and found a supplier of Morrells products (but not this one!) so lateral thinking had me sending him a message asking if he knew of a supplier, or could he obtain 1L cans, and he has just replied with a price of £24.50 delivered for the 1L

I was a little concerned that he could supply it in the 1L but if you have obtained it on the high street so to speak then it must be kosher.....Are you bale to tell me what you paid including delivery, by PM if necessary?? (If it's cheaper vis your source then I would go with them as you have already bought from them.)

(As an aside; This is a great product, but as you probably know it only has a shelf life of +/_ 1 year before it starts to break down, which my existing stuff has done, and this was confirmed by Morrells technical dept. when I contacted them to ask if anyhting could be done to extend the life - again the answer was negative!!)

I too have made loads of floats, but even then then amount used is so minimal that even a 500mg can would probably be too much!!

One last question, if I may; Do you agree with the product number (Morrells own) shown in my post, or do you use (say) a different one? Maybe the photo graphs, but your floats seem to have a higher gloss level than mine with the 20% level??

Thanks once again for your help..................

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
John Stockburn....Thanks for your reply; I'm always looking for alternative float finishing products and am intrigued by what you suggest. I'm assuming you must have used an 'auto motive laquer' on floats, so if you've a mind are you able to say which one, and if it is readily available??
If not, I can Google it and check it for suitability.............

ps At the moment I am about to experiment with an Osmo 'protection oil' external product (420 clear) someone has given me as a possible alternative, but being an oil I don't think it will work. Needless to say I'm only testing it on some odd float materials at this time, and NOT floats!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
S63; As noted above I have contacted Morrells directly and in particular the technical department. Always very helpful with information (they confirmed the shelf life) but as soon as I mentioned the its application to fishing floats they understandably became rather vague and to be honest, with the number of differing float materials in question, I could hardly expect them to approve the use if their product for such a purpose.......

Anyway, thanks again for all the help.

What would we do without FM,eh??

B

binka

Tony...

I've done some digging around and this is the receipt for mine from Thirsk Decorating Centre, it clearly shows the 1 litre quantities which work out (with shipping) at around £15.50 per litre.

I think the LS2 product code is correct for all the different levels of finish, I think I had 90% gloss...

Last edited:

john r stockburn

Reaction score
John Stockburn....Thanks for your reply; I'm always looking for alternative float finishing products and am intrigued by what you suggest. I'm assuming you must have used an 'auto motive laquer' on floats, so if you've a mind are you able to say which one, and if it is readily available??
If not, I can Google it and check it for suitability.............

ps At the moment I am about to experiment with an Osmo 'protection oil' external product (420 clear) someone has given me as a possible alternative, but being an oil I don't think it will work. Needless to say I'm only testing it on some odd float materials at this time, and NOT floats!![/QUOTE

I use "two pack clear" any shop that sells auto paint will keep it in stock and you can buy 1/2 litre , don't forget to buy some thinners as well

it is incredibly hard wearing