My, it is hot!

B

binka

Once again I've had the best job of all considering the weather, namely clearing out the other of the two greenside pools that we have on one of the courses and this one is choked with reeds and rushes.

A bit unnerving at times considering it's a par 3 and several balls came crashing in around me straight off the tee :eek:mg:

I'm not as daft as I look and I was wearing my chainsaw helmet and I reckon it's nothing more that a bruise if one clocks me anywhere else.

Lovely job to be doing in this weather though, I even had a couple of nice catches...

Tomorrow is set to be the peak for temperatures around here so we're going for a 5am start and 1pm finish, I've got two more days in the pool so I'm happy enough :cool:

I'll try and get some before and after pictures tomorrow and Friday, plus of course any specimen Gudgeon that happen along.

Yours Sincerely...

Gudgeon Magnet.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It beat me.

Went to Westgate On Sea in the hope of luring a bass or two. Hundreds of fish cruising around, I guess a mix of schoolie bass and mackeral but they weren’t interested in feeding. After thirty minutes I put the rod back in the car and joined the fish for a cooling swim, luvvly jubbly.

theartist

Reaction score
I see the rain predicted for Saturday has now disappeared from the forecast, so now hoping for the hit and miss thunderstorms Friday to actually hit for a change. Supposed also to be 23c at the weekend, here's hoping as it was 21c last night!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I see the rain predicted for Saturday has now disappeared from the forecast, so now hoping for the hit and miss thunderstorms Friday to actually hit for a change. Supposed also to be 23c at the weekend, here's hoping as it was 21c last night!

You just can't rely on the bbc weather reports, it didn't forecast any rain here the other week when it hissed down. It has rained since a number of times not heavy, mostly just fine dropplets but they did wet everything and even soaked the ground a little but none of that was forecast either. I thought they had satelites showing where the cloud cover is and wind directions etc.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The only forecast I ever look at is the Met Office. The BBC allegedly uses the MO too but its invariably hours out of date in my experience. The thunderstorms forecast for here tonight at 6 am this morning have now morphed into a 30% chance of a light shower overnight.

10 degrees cooler by Saturday thank God. This heat is crippling me.

theartist

Reaction score
The only forecast I ever look at is the Met Office. The BBC allegedly uses the MO too but its invariably hours out of date in my experience. The thunderstorms forecast for here tonight at 6 am this morning have now morphed into a 30% chance of a light shower overnight.

10 degrees cooler by Saturday thank God. This heat is crippling me.

Didn't BBC and Met Office sever links a year ago? Think you'll find their weather is supplied by someone else now, could be wrong

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Didn't BBC and Met Office sever links a year ago? Think you'll find their weather is supplied by someone else now, could be wrong

You may well be right, Rob. That might explain why the BBC weather is so unreliable. I use the Met Office because its what they do and it gets updated regularly....every 3 hours or so I think ?

My only niggle is that they changed the info displayed and it doesn't now show the barometric pressure

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
In the main section of the Saturday Telegraph last weekend (page 20) we have an article entitled 'The hotshots forecasting the heatwave' which offers some insight, as you might guess, into weather forecasting. worth a read, if you've a mind..

I quote excerpts from the article: The Met office have giant screens where the heatwave is played out in real time. A team of 20 stare at satellite loops, radar imagery and computer model outlets showing temperatures soaring all over Britain. The cavernous HQ employs 1800 people in total.
In the bowels of the building Cray XC40 supercomputers - installed at a cost of £97m - quietly churn away in rows. Said computers are capable of making some 14,000 trillion arithmetic operations PER second to allow the forecasting service to take in 215 billion weather observations from all over the world every single day.

Further on it states: Today's forecasters draw on data from 4500 observational sources, including 16 operational radar and 330 monitoring stations in the UK, plus 19 satellites and other national meteorological services around the world.

It then goes on to say the BBC recently ended its 95 year relationship with the Met office in favour of an international forecasting (privat) company 'Meteogroup' in a cost cutting exercise, BUT the Met office still provides ITV/Sky and the MOD in times of extreme weather.
I guess this is why forecasts shown on one station such as ITV differ to that on the BBC.............

You will be pleased to know that the mapping of grids of some 85km in the past has now been replaced and they can monitor down to
1,5km or even 300m in some parts of London such as Heathrow.

However, Paul Gudderson (chief Ops meteorologist) admits they dare not claim infallibility, as 'light rain' still remains the greatest challenge. They can say scattered showers will fall over a region but not which towns will experience them....Which is why tigger, myself and many other on FM experience rain not forecasted the evening before, or even that same morning prior to setting off.

According to the forecast, we can expect cooler weather over the weekend followed by a resumption of very hot weather going into August and in earnest.

We are not done with it yet, that's for sure...............................................Grrrrrr

mikench

Reaction score
I crave some rain and cooler weather ! Why go to the south of France for more of the same save that there I have aircon and more shorts!!

I know we shouldn't moan but I like cold weather !!!:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I crave some rain and cooler weather ! Why go to the south of France for more of the same save that there I have aircon and more shorts!!

I know we shouldn't moan but I like cold weather !!!:rolleyes:

Sounds like you'd be as well selling the french gaff Mike and getting a place back over here in the sticks.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
[
Doubled up on my post so deleted the double.

Last edited:
B

binka

We're hopefully going to get some heavy thunderstorms today, I say hopefully as it really needs to break the heat for the respite that we're supposed to be having over the weekend before temperatures climb again into next week.

It will make little difference to me as i'll be up to my waist in a greenside pool again so getting wet won't be an issue :eek:mg:

It's turning into quite a job now, it was in danger of becoming a bog due to being solid from one side to the other with reeds which we've been pulling by digging beneath the silt and lifting with the roots and it's choked in between with Canadian Pond Weed but we're just over halfway through now.

I reckon we've bagged well over four hundred golf balls, not that they're any use to me!

mikench

Reaction score
I doubt that Ian! There is far more to France than the weather but if we could rely on summers like this we would live differently and our homes would have aircon, blinds and ceiling fans as a matter of routine! We could gear up for dryer periods and not have hose pipe bans! I think it would be a choice between France or er indoors! Now there's a thought:rolleyes:

theartist

Reaction score
You may well be right, Rob. That might explain why the BBC weather is so unreliable. I use the Met Office because its what they do and it gets updated regularly....every 3 hours or so I think ?

My only niggle is that they changed the info displayed and it doesn't now show the barometric pressure

The BBC actually manage to even contradict their tv forecast with their internet one, think they got some dude in a broom cupboard doing the latter considering it doesn't get updated over the whole weekend

B

binka

The BBC actually manage to even contradict their tv forecast with their internet one, think they got some dude in a broom cupboard doing the latter considering it doesn't get updated over the whole weekend

Yes I've noticed that too, there's obviously some delay between the two.

On a positive note I did get a brief but very welcome drenching early this morning whilst out on one of the courses, and in a polar opposite of the what I would normally exclaim I could only look skywards and utter...

Thank you!

lambert1

Reaction score
Had ours too and it is Heaven! My son has totally disowned me after my rain dance. I had my shorts on, so I don't see what his problem is personally.

Aussie Bob

Reaction score
If the heat returns again ...tips to keep cool.
Fill small sandwich zip lock bags with ice cubes , you can take them out of the freezer wrap them in a tea towel you can wipe yourself down with them cools you down really quickly. If you are out and about and have a small cooler box you can put your bags of ice cubes in them . I have resorted to putting a ice bag under my hat when playing cricket in 40 degree temps.
THe neck coolers are really good ProChoice Cooling Neck Tie - Royal | WorkwearHub
If you are trying to sleep in the heat get a fan aim it at where your head will be on the pillow and put in on a fairly low speed if you do start to sweat at night it will cool you down straight away , you will get used to the noise of the fan quick enough.