My, it is hot!

fishplate42

Reaction score
Tomorrow I had planned a day fishing, with my brother, at Monk Lakes. The news tonight was talking about today (Monday) being the hottest day of the year so far. They were also saying that it could be even hooter tomorrow with highs of maybe 35ºC.

Needless to say we called it off and instead have decided to spend the day fishing the Medway in the shade of the trees at the bottom of my brother's garden. That is the advantage of having a river at the bottom of the garden... Jammy beggar!

Ralph.

john step

Reaction score
Best idea. Judging by the small number of threads there are not so many venturing out at the moment. Let us know HDYGO.

lambert1

Reaction score
I saw on our local news that fish are having to be netted and moved from a river in Dorset, that has dried up in some places and too shallow in others. With no rain in sight I fear we may lose some valuable fish stocks in some rivers.:upset:

mikench

Reaction score
That has happened in a few places! Fish were dying in shallow pools almost devoid of oxygen and being eaten by birds! On farming today over 500 fish were rescued from one stretch of river alone by netting after mild electrocution!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The stream mentioned by the BBC, the Tarrant, often dries up although usually a bit later in the year and the EA rescue the fish and place them in teh Stour nearby. When the stream recovers in the winter the fish return up the stream.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I am supposed to be fishing tomorrow but it is looking doubtful now.
I for one have had enough of this heat now.
Nice to see the weather forecasters have got it right this year but then again they have been predicting a scorchio summer for the past 5 years so the law of averages say they were going to be correct sooner or later.:wh

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It's so hot here in Metroland I thought I'd buy an ice cream but....

image.jpg

floatfish

Reaction score
Fished yesterday,was said 27 degrees top temp, they were wrong. 31 Degrees C from around late morning. Got myself under the trees in the shade plus a bit of a breeze, so did not feel to bad.
Fished ok, nothing major, but steady all day. Going home Car thermometer showing 31C
all the way, Climate Control running a steady 22 C. Till I got home, turned the engine off and
a stream of warm air entered the car from all parts. Warm to say the least.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I had a door frame to finish painting today after abandoning it yesterday because it was too hot. Thought I'd start early but tbh by 8 am it was already too hot. I'd have needed to start at about 3 am like the Binkster.

Its finished now but so am I . I cannot take this heat and that's indoors with about 15 fans going. The thought of fishing in this....even in the shade....fills me with horror. Its bloody dangerous.

theartist

Reaction score
It's not the fishing that's keeping me at home after all I know plenty of shady places to fish, it's the driving, the thought of getting stuck in traffic, imagine the M25, the six lane bit by the airport - ouch!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh I know that stretch extraordinarily well. I hate it with a passion.

Your not alone, when a chauffeur it was like part of my office, I dare not think just how many hours I must have spent stationary on it over a span of thirty years!
Just thinking about it now gives me the heebie jeebies.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It looks like good news/bad news on the weather front...

I heard last night that thunderstorms, and possibly very, very heavy rain for some, is likely for some across the middle of the country, but probably not the south east to any great extent. Come Saturday we could see a significant drop (as low as 22!) which might just last through Sunday. That's the good news....

The bad news is that temperatures are due to rise to new levels of high next week. Grrrrrr

Today, apparently, we could see localised highs of 35 or even 36 somewhere in the south east, which is a drop on the 36/37 that I heard sometime yesterday, possibly on the radio. Obviously someone in the met office was getting carried away....

..............it's not so much the heat/humidity that I mind, but more the sapping of energy which leaves one lethargic, particularly in the afternoons around 3/4.30. I think the old saying 'like a wet dishcloth' covers it nicely. In the past, having lived in very hot countries, I have always managed hot weather in the UK without much problem, but this time it has become hard to deal with. Likely as not age has something to do with it - the slower movement that comes with increasing years mixed with soaring temps - not great!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Might actually take my coat off now.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This morning on the BBC News there as an item that noted that it has "been Hot" officially for the last 50 days in a row . . . .

Good to know that but it is something I actually had already worked out for myself . . . . .

theartist

Reaction score
News had the London underground temps at 39.6c that's over 100f in old money and apparently 10 degrees hotter than livestock are allowed to travel.

It's hot enough down there in winter - who'd work in the city eh!

Another Dave

Reaction score
Decided to play in the river with the kids and their friend today. I haven't built a dam for decades, quite pleased with how it went! There were plenty of old bricks from a long collapsed structure and by the end we had a lovely deep pool going.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I went for a shufti along one of the local sunficate stretches yesterday afternoon.

There is a really deep run by the bridge and there is a local "rule" that in the summer the local kids are allowed to swim in the river there.

They had rigged up a rope to swing from and drop into the deeper water . . . and I have to say it looked like a hell of a lot of fun . . .