Giving up is easy.

B

binka

You could nearly have had a kilo of worms for that!

Given my session on Saturday afternoon Kev I reckon the fags probably did me more good :eek:mg:

It's storm poles that should carry a health warning :laugh:

bracket

Reaction score
Apart from a tentative dapple as a child, 67 years ago, convincing me what a silly practice it was, I have never smoked. I do appreciate how difficult it is to quit and I applaud anyone who manages to. It is by far the best thing you can do to protect your health. Unfortunately my Son in Law, who I fish with when he visits, is a lost cause. He manages to smoke upward of 50 a day and will regularly get up three or four times in the night for a fag. He has always been the same ever since I have known him. When he work down the pit he would, as many others did, use chewing tobacco to get round the no smoking rule. Hopeless case sadly. Pete.

daniel121

Reaction score
I've gave up and gone back more times than I can count ciggies. I have no addition I can pretty much take it or leave em, I don't know if I'm just man but I really don't see the issue people have with them. However sugar ask me to give that up and I'm screwed not a hope mate :D

As for buying fishing kit, I think you always buy new stuff, it's the new toy thing isn't it?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And the rest!

I had another relapse over the weekend, calling at a local filling station for 20 B&H and along with a small box of matches it cost me...

£12.25! :shocked:

Shut the front door!:surprise:

Jelster

Reaction score
Both my parents and both my sisters smoked, I hated the smell as a kid so have never touched them. Lost both parents to tobacco, and one of my sisters is almost there. My other sister packed up over 20 years ago. I couldn't even date a girl that smoked, luckily my Mrs feels exactly the same as I do.

I sometimes wish I had, then I could give them up and find some extra money :) But in all seriousness, I don't envy those that want to give up and struggle.

As for buying kit, it's a bit like photography and GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), and I suffer that badly....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I had a stroke in October 2012, was in hospital for around 10 days, Doctor said if I carried on smoking I would be back in hospital but would not be leaving it, I gave up the day of my stroke, Not had one since, no patches, or e cigs, I was 58 at the time, started smoking at 14 and was on between 20 -30 a day in the end, I never smoked in the house and never smoked in the car when my kids were in it or if a non smoker was in it, I can stand with someone who is having a cig and it does not bother me, I am happy with the amount of money I have saved by stopping, I thought I would struggle at first when I started back fishing, but after a few visits I don't think about it. Sometimes having a life changing health scare will bring you to your senses,

seth49

Reaction score
Used to smoke a lot, thirty or forty roll ups a day,first thing I did in a morning, and the last thing at night, then on the 5/11/2011 I went to bed with a bad case of flu, completely lost three days, when I got up after that I thought if I can do without for three days I can manage without them.

Have never smoked since, so that was the best thing that could have happened, did miss them for a long while, but not anymore.
Anyone else think they catch more fish since stopping, and there hands don’t stink of nicotine.
I seem too.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’d like to think I feel much healthier and my taste buds have improved since quitting but that just isn’t the case, don’t feel any different. I wasn’t a heavy smoker, maybe that’s the reason.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Well as this is a fishing forum here is a fish...

34509175212_0013e15518_c.jpg

Now I have done right by the forum, back to smoking. I gave up smoking last century, after spending the best part of a month in Florida with my late dad, who at that time, smoked like a chimney. Sitting in the car with him in the passenger seat and the ladies in the back, doing the driving, we would smoke almost one after the other. On the way home, It almost killed my dad to do the nine-hour flight without a smoke, but he made up for it by moaning... I, on the other hand was relieved to be in a smoke free atmosphere. I got home and stashed the obligatory couple of boxes of duty free packets. 200s I think they were, and went about the unpacking. The next day I was listening to the radio and there was a bloke on there saying the only way to stop smoking was to decided you did not smoke. Saying you would give up usually lead to someone tempting you by offering a smoke. If on the other hand, if you said you did not smoke, people would apologise and back off waving the smoke away.

So at that point I told myself I did not smoke any more, and from that day to this I have never smoked again. Months later I gave the fags to my dad. Funny thing is, other people smoking around me does not offend me at the time, it is the smell of stale smoke in clothing or in a car that I hate. It was not until I gave up smoking that I realised I could taste my food and drink and that people who smoke, stink - just like I must have done for decades!

Ralph.

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to be able to buy cigarettes very cheaply in the Royal Navy back in the days when when ‘Blue Liners’ (Navy Cigs) were 6d per 20 and I could buy 300 for 7 shillings and 6 pence old money (in the early to mid 70s) plus normal duty free cigs when we were at sea, and I smoked around 30 or 40 cigarettes a day right up until around 2002 when I was 52.

Then one day after giving my daughter a lift to work I started to climb my stairs and stumbled a bit then I fell unconscious a couple of times and then woke up in hospital a day later after having a stroke and I couldn’t feel the right side of my body.

I spent 3 months in hospital and had to learn to walk all over again and learn to do things with my right arm and hand and even to eat solid foods again, plus I had to learn to talk all over again; I knew what I wanted to say but it just came out as a slur.
I had had a bleed in my brain and a blood clot in my leg.

And I have not smoked ever since then and I feel a lot better although I still start to slur a bit when I get tired and I often have trouble holding a large fish when it’s being photographed.

One positive thing though; is that I can hit a golf ball much straighter than before although not as far; so I lose a lot less balls :)

So if you smoke I’d seriously advise you to think about giving it up before something like that happens to you.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I like bracket had the experience of both parents and my sister smoking,mum and dad died of smoking related diseases but I always hated the bloody things and have never touched one,I've watched production workers where I work and can't believe they are paying around what they earn an hour,or more for a packet,absurd...

thecrow

Reaction score
There is no doubt that smoking does one no good however please don't think that not smoking will have you avoiding heart attacks or strokes, my mother didn't smoke and died from lung cancer, my father had been stopped for 40 years and died 12 months after a stroke left him bed bound, I saw plenty in cardiac units that didn't smoke that had had a heart attack.

One things sure though dying from the above will stop you from buying any more rods.

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
I packed in proper roll up smoking, several years ago, I am a Vaper and feel so much better for packing in the tobacco.
Actually don't vape that much when compared to smoking, still enjoy a smoke though, especially after sorting out the tackle, casting out, then sitting back and having a smoke.

Will I ever pack in totally? I can go several hours without, did a couople of days earlier this year when I was ill with man flu. I do like it though.

Anyway I'm off to the Trent today, got batteries, got spare vape, got juice. This smoking lark is a faff :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
When I look back and recall the age I started smoking I shudder. In those days it was easy to buy them from wall mounted machines in underground stations and the like in packs of five/ten. My brand was 'Players Weights'... Nobody talked about the Big C in those days but I remember my mum saying 'they are not good for you'
My father, bless him, often wagged his finger with "Don't let me catch you smoking" but would then go down my pockets to pinch one of mine when he had run out!

Staggering price people pay these days and I'm always amazed to see these people sometimes interviewed on television bleating on about how hard it is to make ends meet, and yet they have a fag in hand, with the reason "It's the only pleasure I have in life" or some such.

Why they are still sold at all is beyond me....(Yes, I know the Chancellor sees the tax as income)

mikench

Reaction score
I never smoked many but started at about 14 buying 10 No 6 or worse, 5 ParkDrive. I look back and cringe when i think of the bare faced lies i made, swearing blind to parents and teachers alike that i had not been smoking when i stank of tobacco and often had a half smoked fag in my blazer pocket! What an idiot i was.

I stopped when i went to uni but resumed around 22 when i thought having a packet of Dunhills, Marlborough or Rothmans looked cool! I stopped for good at 29!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I never smoked many but started at about 14 buying 10 No 6 or worse, 5 ParkDrive. I look back and cringe when i think of the bare faced lies i made, swearing blind to parents and teachers alike that i had not been smoking when i stank of tobacco and often had a half smoked fag in my blazer pocket! What an idiot i was.

I stopped when i went to uni but resumed around 22 when i thought having a packet of Dunhills, Marlborough or Rothmans looked cool! I stopped for good at 29!

Same here Mike, "No, Mum/Dad I have not been smoking" and trying to get the smell off your clothes before you got home,
Players No6 were the choice of many a youngster, also 5 Park Drive, A packet of 5 and a small card of matches ( remember those ?) came to 1s 1d ,In my 5th year at school a couple of us used to go to the Bay Horse pub in Warrington for a pie and a pint at dinner, then it was a case of "No I have not Been drinking" when I started work at 16 some of the fitters I worked with smoked Capstan Full Strength, Players Navy or Woodbines and would always give you a couple if you had none of your own,

Keith M

Reaction score
When I was at senior school back in the early 60s we used to spend our one shilling a day dinner money on a plate of chips from our local cafe and a single Cadet Cigarette from the local sweet & tobacco shop who used to keep them loose in a sweet jar.

Sometimes I bought a packet of 5 cadets and went without my chips altogether but I usually had to share them out with my mates, so I quickly learnt to carry two packets on me; one with only one cigarette in it so that I could say “sorry it’s my last one” when there were cadgers about.

When I was a teenager and started going out with my mates in the evenings my dad used to smell my fingers when I got home to make sure that I hadn’t been smoking.

I remember one night when the ‘Who’ had been playing at our local Mods youth club (the Lynx) and when I got home my dad found a cigarette stub in my pocket and I tried to tell him that Roger Daltry had stubbed his fag out and I had picked it up as a momento, but he didn’t believe me of course.

Those were the days :)

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
There is a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to the government wanting people to stop smoking, pictures on packets, stopping sponsorship, hiding them behind cupboard doors in shops, but still being quite willing to take billions in tax from them, I have to wonder how much more would have to be made up by income tax should everyone stop, or would they just increase that already massive tax burden on fuel?