Giving up is easy.

nottskev

Reaction score
Who said "Giving up smoking is easy - I've done it lots of times"?

I did manage to ditch the cigarettes first time, but I've also said I've got enough fishing rods and I don't want any more.

Well, I was just helping out an FM member with their search for a rod. I had no intention of buying anything - selling some, if anything.

5 minutes later I've come across and bought an unknown USA market Shimano rod, brought here by a person who reckons it's a great barbel float rod.

It's a Shimano Clarus 13' 4 piece, with a short 20" all cork handle, sliding bands (hi, Sam) and a trad look, which sold it to me.
It's described as having an action between float and Avon, lines 8-12lb.

It wasn't massively expensive, and is not a top range rod by any means. I'm annoyed with myself for buying it, but looking forward to seeing what it's like.

Giving up buying fishing rods is easy......

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
At the third attempt I managed to ditch smoking, I hadn’t returned to fishing then, just as well, did enjoy a smoke which often brought a bite.

I could most probably buy a rod every week for the cost of the fags.......hang on, I think I do.:eek:mg:

nottskev

Reaction score
At the third attempt I managed to ditch smoking, I hadn’t returned to fishing then, just as well, did enjoy a smoke which often brought a bite.

I could most probably buy a rod every week for the cost of the fags.......hang on, I think I do.:eek:mg:

You could definitely buy a rod a week at today's tobacco prices. I can't claim massive willpower - after I was wheeled out of work 11 years ago on a stretcher with chest pains, I was so terrified I wasn't even tempted to light another one. I was nonplussed to find it wasn't all that tough, either. I'd fought shy of giving up because I'd heard and believed it would be such an ordeal.

nottskev

Reaction score
Do you ever crave one?

For a while, in the classic circumstances: after a meal, with a beer in the pub, and as an angler, on a crisp winter morning.

But it slowly mutated into a real aversion, and I couldn't face one now. How about you?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For a while, in the classic circumstances: after a meal, with a beer in the pub, and as an angler, on a crisp winter morning.

But it slowly mutated into a real aversion, and I couldn't face one now. How about you?

Exactly the same as you, took the best part of three years I’d guess, from craving to loathing.

Shows what a weird habit it is...was. There was no way I’d light up a fag before a mid morning coffee but when I went fishing as a lad I’d happily light one up at 5am with a coffee before rigging up.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Well done Kev! I wouldn't have a clue what a pack of cigs costs now or what they cost when I gave up on 01/01 /1983. I do not miss them though!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
About a tenner a pack :eek:mg: having said that I use to spend an entire year smoking tax free fags I’d smuggle in from regular holidays to Lanzarote.

nottskev

Reaction score
Well done Kev! I wouldn't have a clue what a pack of cigs costs now or what they cost when I gave up on 01/01 /1983. I do not miss them though!

I like the date. Just had a look online. Seems like they range between £8 and £10 for a pack of 20. You'd have to be keen.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can’t quite recall the year but I also gave up on the 1st of Jan and it wasn’t a New Years resolution either, just a light bulb moment.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I gave 'em up when they went up to 4s 6d for 20 - wasn't going to pay that rip off price.........................

wetthrough

Reaction score
March 2014 for me so I'm a novice but use an eCig. There's no way I'll ever smoke a fag again.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My last cigarette was on September 9th 2010.
In those days I was smoking between 30 and 40 a day every day.

I got home that night feeling very unwell with what I thought was a bad dose of flu.

I told old my daughter I was not too well and was going to bed early.

I remember going upstairs and then, nothing.

I woke up from the coma in Intensive Care some 12 days later having been taken in there by ambulance and suffering from Legionnaires Disease.

I laid there promising myself that if I got out of this then I'd never smoke again.

That was almost 8 years ago and I still sometimes think to myself, 'I'll just finish this then have a cigarette'

Even so I'll never light up again.

john step

Reaction score
I am absolutely amazed at the price quoted for a pack of twenty. Thats a mortgage every month.
I am equally amazed at the youngsters who stand outside the school gates at lunch time puffing away considering how much information is out there about what it does to ones health.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I am absolutely amazed at the price quoted for a pack of twenty. Thats a mortgage every month.
I am equally amazed at the youngsters who stand outside the school gates at lunch time puffing away considering how much information is out there about what it does to ones health.

Doctors and nurses often smoke. I wonder if anyone has stopped or not started smoking due to the grisly pictures on the pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
In my case er indoors became pregnant with our first and I promised I would give up!

thecrow

Reaction score
Stopped and started again twice because I wanted to so I did, if I feel like packing up again I shall but at the moment I don't want to so I keep on rolling :)

B

binka

About a tenner a pack :eek:mg:

And the rest!

I had another relapse over the weekend, calling at a local filling station for 20 B&H and along with a small box of matches it cost me...

£12.25! :shocked:

nottskev

Reaction score
And the rest!

I had another relapse over the weekend, calling at a local filling station for 20 B&H and along with a small box of matches it cost me...

£12.25! :shocked:

You could nearly have had a kilo of worms for that!