Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Giving up is easy.

Who said "Giving up smoking is easy - I've done it lots of times"?

I did manage to ditch the cigarettes first time, but I've also said I've got enough fishing rods and I don't want any more.

Well, I was just helping out an FM member with their search for a rod. I had no intention of buying anything - selling some, if anything.

5 minutes later I've come across and bought an unknown USA market Shimano rod, brought here by a person who reckons it's a great barbel float rod.

It's a Shimano Clarus 13' 4 piece, with a short 20" all cork handle, sliding bands (hi, Sam) and a trad look, which sold it to me.
    It's described as having an action between float and Avon, lines 8-12lb.

It wasn't massively expensive, and is not a top range rod by any means. I'm annoyed with myself for buying it, but looking forward to seeing what it's like.

Giving up buying fishing rods is easy......

Default Re: Giving up is easy.

At the third attempt I managed to ditch smoking, I hadn’t returned to fishing then, just as well, did enjoy a smoke which often brought a bite.

I could most probably buy a rod every week for the cost of the fags.......hang on, I think I do.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    At the third attempt I managed to ditch smoking, I hadn’t returned to fishing then, just as well, did enjoy a smoke which often brought a bite.

I could most probably buy a rod every week for the cost of the fags.......hang on, I think I do.
    You could definitely buy a rod a week at today's tobacco prices. I can't claim massive willpower - after I was wheeled out of work 11 years ago on a stretcher with chest pains, I was so terrified I wasn't even tempted to light another one. I was nonplussed to find it wasn't all that tough, either. I'd fought shy of giving up because I'd heard and believed it would be such an ordeal.

Do you ever crave one?

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Do you ever crave one?
    For a while, in the classic circumstances: after a meal, with a beer in the pub, and as an angler, on a crisp winter morning.

But it slowly mutated into a real aversion, and I couldn't face one now. How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    For a while, in the classic circumstances: after a meal, with a beer in the pub, and as an angler, on a crisp winter morning.

But it slowly mutated into a real aversion, and I couldn't face one now. How about you?
    Exactly the same as you, took the best part of three years I’d guess, from craving to loathing.

Shows what a weird habit it is...was. There was no way I’d light up a fag before a mid morning coffee but when I went fishing as a lad I’d happily light one up at 5am with a coffee before rigging up.
    Last edited by s63; 30-07-2018 at 17:46.

Well done Kev! I wouldn't have a clue what a pack of cigs costs now or what they cost when I gave up on 01/01 /1983. I do not miss them though!

About a tenner a pack having said that I use to spend an entire year smoking tax free fags I’d smuggle in from regular holidays to Lanzarote.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Well done Kev! I wouldn't have a clue what a pack of cigs costs now or what they cost when I gave up on 01/01 /1983. I do not miss them though!
    I like the date. Just had a look online. Seems like they range between £8 and £10 for a pack of 20. You'd have to be keen.

Can’t quite recall the year but I also gave up on the 1st of Jan and it wasn’t a New Years resolution either, just a light bulb moment.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast