eBay Listing Term?

Keith M

Reaction score
One thing that really gets my goat up is when people say something like “I ain’t got no idea who dunnit” when they mean “I ain’t got any idea who Dunn It.
Or “I don’t know who did it

Maybe it’s because I wos tort to speek proper inglish.

Keef

wetthrough

Reaction score
Someone pulled me up about something not long since. "Since when did a house become a build" as in 'Is it a new build'. Something I'd never even given a second thought to as it's so frequently used.

nottskev

Reaction score
Someone pulled me up about something not long since. "Since when did a house become a build" as in 'Is it a new build'. Something I'd never even given a second thought to as it's so frequently used.

Yes - this type of thing does sound odd at first. Linguists call it "conversion". A word in one class ( a verb, to build) starts to be used in another class ( a noun, a build). It's a common process. Eg "Can they get 5 points from 2 games? It's a big ask." That's another verb to noun. "He had the chance but he bottled it" shows noun to verb conversion, as does "He's gaming the system".

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agree with wet through and Peter, "off" is used quite commonly when ordering stock or selling a quantity of stock.

6 off spinning lures means there are 6 of them.
A customer ordering goods from a supplier will often say eg. " The green lures (I'd like) 6 off".

Nothing to do with bad spelling at all...

No, it's bad spelling Peter, of and off have two different meanings.

Con't ear, that nose wor I mean dunt a cockle.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
"He had the chance but he bottled it" shows noun to verb conversion

It's even more complicated than that, as it's derived from Cockney rhyming slang: Bottle & Glass = Ar*e, which progressed to "His bottle dropped out" as a scatological description of someone in a state of fear or anxiety.

Come a long way from "off" now, ain't we?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Many, many ( and several more) years ago when I was doing part of my early training in a Drawing Office I was taught never to use 'off' after a number against a certain item on a manufacturing drawing as this could be (and had been) confused with 'O' being confused with '0'.

For example; 60FF REQD could be confused with 6 OFF REQD and if looked at quickly could end up with 60 being made instead of 6. For this reason I was taught to use 'No' after the figure and to read 6 No REQD.

Of course I'm talking pre the dawn of the computer age when drawings where hand drawn on a drawing board and all notations the same......

Just thought you might like this bit of useless information....................(I'm not expecting any 'likes' btw)

ps All of the above happened at a time when, as draughtsmen, one had to write in a clear and precise manner and spelling needed to be correct (a dictionary was kept in the office, (I kid you not) otherwise the Chief Draughtsman would simply ring the offence with red pencil on a copy of the drawing sent for checking, and throw it back at you!! None of your 'spell checkers' in those days..........................

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I am not the worlds best at spelling or grammar but it does annoy me when I see “course fishing” instead of “coarse fishing” on this website.
Just one of the many errors brought about by spell checker.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
More than one angling club website is guilty of this one and you'd think they'd know better!

"In addition to this over the years the waters have been stocked with a variety of course fish species to achieve the excellent fisheries we have today."

Naming no names...