eBay Listing Term?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I've been using eBay for nearly 10 years, so feel I ought to know the answer to this - is "off" a general auction site term employed for multiple listings of the same item, e.g. "6 off used FLYING "C" spinning lures"?

The first few times I saw this, I assumed the seller meant "of" and couldn't spell (!), but I see it so frequently now, and from different sellers, that this can't be the case...

I can't say I've encountered this anywhere other than on eBay, but maybe I've just led a sheltered life!?

wetthrough

Reaction score
I use the term all the time. It probably comes from 'cut me # off will you?' or 'take # off the pile'.

mikench

Reaction score
You can buy a float off the seller but he may only have one of them in stock!

I check quantities carefully!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't believe that is has any particular significance beyond being an indicator of a generally poor command of English and grammar. You can see similarly poor standards in all sorts of sources, even from otherwise well educated and qualified individuals. Once upon a time, this would have been a concern to many, but the numbers of those that give a damn are steadily diminishing. I'm not particularly convinced that it is a big issue unless the writer is doing so in a professional capacity.

iain t

Reaction score
A lot can't spell properly these days due to the shortcuts when using text on smartphones.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If it is advertised as "6 off" then one would reasonably expect to receive a total of 6 (in quantity) FLYING "C" spinning lures . . . . .

As others have noted however, this is more than likely to be the result of a poor command of the English language, as you see it all the time; there instead of their, your instead of you're, of instead of have, and vise-a-versa . . . . .

If you are considering a bid then it would be advisable to contact the seller for clarification.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies - I think I might go back to my original supposition that it's just another example of poor use of English!

theartist

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I see far more 'worser' grammar than the odd misplaced letter especially when I'm buying stationery stock from high volume sellers in the far east, I'll pay slightly more for the listing that doesn't have the item description in pigeon English, just in case I have to contact the seller.

In some cases there's the excuse that with some many different listings to keep track of the odd typo is going to get through unnoticed

and in other cases the sellers are uneducated oiks who just sell art cos they woz no good at writing at skool ;)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Agree with wet through and Peter, "off" is used quite commonly when ordering stock or selling a quantity of stock.

6 off spinning lures means there are 6 of them.
A customer ordering goods from a supplier will often say eg. " The green lures (I'd like) 6 off".

Nothing to do with bad spelling at all...

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Ah, that's what I wanted to know! It's just not something I've come across anywhere other than eBay, so I wasn't sure about it.

It's funny the things that can put you off about eBay listings - I always appreciate those that just give a good description of the item without trying to claim that it's "rare" or "immaculate" when it clearly isn't. Or that start off with "Here we have", "Up for sale is" or "Welcome to my auction for".

nottskev

Reaction score
I've noticed "off" used in quantifying items. It always seems to be in situations where items are ordered/supplied in factory/workshop/stores. I assumed it was not a mistake, but a convention in specific contexts or amongst what linguists call a "speech community" - a bunch of people who share habits of language. Work contexts often have language uses that strike the rest of us as odd.

I'm always reluctant to go for the "bad English" explanation. By and large, native speakers of a language don't get their own language wrong - but many speech communities have usages which differ from the Standard English encoded in text books - informal terms, regional grammar and vocab, idioms, slang, occupational language etc. That's not to say people don't make mistakes - like thinking "should have" is "should of".

I can't fathom "3 off" etc - maybe it's related to the common expression for "unique" - a "one-off" (never heard anyone question that use) and the meaning is something made to order/bespoke? Or else implies 3/4/5 etc off the stock list, because used or sold?

Here's a another bunch of people discussing it, for those that care

Why do people say "off" referring to quantity? - Page 2 - The Lounge - PistonHeads

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not buying the "it's commonly used, it's not an error" argument. Grocers have had a rather famous tendency to use random apostrophes, that doesn't mean that anyone copying them is somehow correct. I know that "off" is used quite deliberately in certain situations (engineering companies and some stock control scenarios), but that still doesn't mean that it's not born out of an original error. I still don't believe that all the sellers on ebay that use "off" are doing so for any specific reason, or that they wouldn't be better off using "of".

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm not buying the "it's commonly used, it's not an error" argument. Grocers have had a rather famous tendency to use random apostrophes, that doesn't mean that anyone copying them is somehow correct. I know that "off" is used quite deliberately in certain situations (engineering companies and some stock control scenarios), but that still doesn't mean that it's not born out of an original error. I still don't believe that all the sellers on ebay that use "off" are doing so for any specific reason, or that they wouldn't be better off using "of".

I'm not really selling it. :) There's no reason not to say that whilst " n off" has a history of legitimate use in specific work contexts, it's being used out of context on eBay, perhaps by people thinking it's the right or professional-sounding way to quantify items. Perhaps it's uncommon enough now to draw attention to itself and look weird.

But such changes are always on the go, and in the end, usage is king, and if enough people use a word in an altered sense or new context, it ceases to be a "mistake".

Words broaden their range - a holiday was a HOLY DAY; now it's any time off or a trip abroad etc

They narrow it - a girl was a child of either sex in the middle ages. (No kidding)

They pick up better meanings - nice used to mean sly and sneaky

They pick up worse meanings - cowboys were the good guys in the film world of the post-war period; now they bodge your building repairs.

Imbecile, idiot and moron were once technical terms denoting IQ levels in the language of primitive psychology.

The range of meanings and behaviour of words has always been more fluid than is popularly thought. People respond to this in different ways. For some, language is what people do; for others, what they ought to do. Most appreciate, intuitively, the tension between those poles. People come up with all kinds of new uses; others fight rearguard actions against them. It's a jungle out there.

Spelling/punctuation - the apostrophe business, eg - is a very different matter, as it's relatively stable and limited, and a sphere where you can say that's a mistake. Equally, if enough people stop bothering to use apostrophes on the basis that they're confused and don't care, it could fade out of use. There is a society dedicated to preserving the apostrophe.

The world of vocabulary meaning and use is much less clear-cut and far more open to variety and change.

Excuse the long reply - I'm debating whether to go fishing or not, and hanging around the laptop.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Language does indeed evolve. What was once incorrect can become correct in time. Perhaps some using "off" in an ebay listing are doing so in a considered and intended manner. Unfortunately, I suspect that the majority simply don't know (or don't give a damn about) the difference between "off" and "of". Acceptance of this may result in the further evolution of our language, though I'm not entirely convinced. There's obviously a certain acceptance that it doesn't really matter that much, which I see, with a certain resignation, as a shame.

nottskev

Reaction score
Indeed. Wouldn't disagree. How many people get the difference between "Uninterested" and "disinterested", for instance? It does seem a shame when subtleties appear to get lost.

And I'm happy to admit that despite my liberal take on language change, and my recognition that people will say what they like and not care less what I think, some things get right up my nose. I buy catfood in a petfood store where the girl on the till can say "No worries!" 5 or 6 times in the minute it takes to put a card in the machine, pick up the food and scarper. I can forgive the greengrocers their apostrophe errors - but not this inane s*** :)

mikench

Reaction score
Brilll post Kev innit!:) . I am reluctant to comment on grammar but it irritates me considerably when I feel our wonderful language is being abused! The chairman of one of my clubs sent an. email to all members( it is on their website) which still makes me cringe! His computer must have a faulty h key ie it doesn't work! He as retired sic!!!!! This abomination is repeated many times!!!!

sagalout

Reaction score
I have to point out that we ain't all had the fantastic education that some have had or perhaps our brains are wired differently and we get maths were there are strict unbending rules but struggle with the English language and it's lack of rules. I leave you with i before e except after c, what a load of bullshine!

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
the girl on the till can say "No worries!" 5 or 6 times in the minute it takes to put a card in the machine, pick up the food and scarper.

Aussie soaps (Neighbours and Home & Away) to blame, I think. I remember many years ago listening to a Johnny Morris radio account of a visit to the USA, where everyone he encountered said "Have a nice day" (in those far-off days of innocence that phrase hadn't yet reached these shores). Eventually he felt obliged to respond, and wished a nice day in return to the checkout girl in the supermarket who had just wished him one. She immediately glared at him and growled in a broad Bronx accent, "I gotta woik!!"

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I leave you with i before e except after c, what a load of bullshine!

I was taught "When the sound you say is "e", it's i before e except after c", which takes account of exceptions to the rule like "weird". All good clean fun, innit?