Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  54
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In God's County: Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,950
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: The most incompetent celebrity angler on tv....

    While we are all free to have our choices, and favourites, I would have to say that (while you may disagree with some of his views) to name Keith Arthur on a thread for "incompetent celebrity anglers" is harsh in the extreme.

    Keith is an excellent angler who can, and has, turned his hand extremely well to virtually all forms and methods of angling.


    I'm not too sure if I could think of any "celebrity" angler who could be described as "incompetent" although some of Matt Hayes fly casting, when he started out, left a lot to be desired . . . . . so maybe more unedcated than incompetent . . . but then again, who are we to cast the first stone?

    Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

    Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

    Patrick F. McManus






  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Azide the Stour
    Posts
    3,773

    Default Re: The most incompetent celebrity angler on tv....

    Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Gosh, well done young Phil! Still, I'm sure old Jack got over it, and fell back on his extraordinary career in writing, radio and tv broadcasting that included, amongst other things, making popular tv programmes that ran for 15 years and 20 years respectively.

    Young protege match angler beats elderly generalist ... .doesn't quite fit under "incompetent celebrity angler" for me.
    Hargreaves realised his angling shortcomings and relied heavily on much better anglers including Ollie Kite, Owen Wentworth, Barrie Welham and Dave Swallow, all of whom could and did catch fish to order for the camera.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In God's County: Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,950
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: The most incompetent celebrity angler on tv....

    As for Paul Young, I have met him on the Test a few times and had lunch with him.

    He is the first to tell you that he is not an "expert" angler, and that he simply "fronts" his TV shows that are more aimed at the location and the species rather than his angling prowess.


    Once his programme was taken up by Discovery it ran for a full 6 seasons, so it must have had some appeal to the viewers . . . .

    Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

    Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

    Patrick F. McManus






  4. #14

    Default Re: The most incompetent celebrity angler on tv....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    Hargreaves realised his angling shortcomings and relied heavily on much better anglers including Ollie Kite, Owen Wentworth, Barrie Welham and Dave Swallow, all of whom could and did catch fish to order for the camera.
    Indeed. He was a broadcaster with a phenomenal career, rather than a celebrity angler. It just seemed a bit uncalled for to big up one of your favoured match anglers for catching more, whilst implying he deserves to be considered an "incompetent celebrity angler" - the theme of the thread.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    South West Wilts
    Posts
    110

    Default Re: The most incompetent celebrity angler on tv....

    I met Keith Arthur once. He & Bruno Brookes were wandering around a day ticket fishery I was on. At the time I had hooked what probably would have been my PB Carp, a huge common which I had on for around 15 minutes. Just as I was getting it into the net it turned violently and the hook pulled

    I let out a sting of 4 letter words, kicked my chair over and threw my rod onto the bank. He made a funny one liner comment which made me see the funny side of it. They both of them then spent 15 minutes or so chatting about the water, bait tactics etc. He was quite a nice guy actually.

    I always loved the enthusiasm of both John Wilson and Rex Hunt when on TV. Rex Hunt used to make me laugh, and goes on to prove that we shouldn't take life too seriously....

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Azide the Stour
    Posts
    3,773

    Default Re: The most incompetent celebrity angler on tv....

    Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Indeed. He was a broadcaster with a phenomenal career, rather than a celebrity angler. It just seemed a bit uncalled for to big up one of your favoured match anglers for catching more, whilst implying he deserves to be considered an "incompetent celebrity angler" - the theme of the thread.
    Locally to me (Dorset) he was very much regarded as a celebrity angler rather than a broadcaster. Phil Coles was set up for a prat fall in that Wentworth and Hargreaves fished from a boat on the best swim on the stretch leaving Phil to fend for himself on the bank. Wentworth was keen to show what he regarded as a young whippersnapper who was boss. It was certainly the day that my eyes were opened to Hargreaves' true level of expertise and Wentworth's dogmatism. Years later when I fished with Dave Swallow a lot I found out much more about Jack Hargreaves, the side of him that the viewers didn't see, nor did the biography of him cover. I also watched and fished with Wentworth and found out much about him. Maybe Jack Hargreaves is your hero?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Old Arley home of the Crows
    Posts
    7,607
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The most incompetent celebrity angler on tv....

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    While we are all free to have our choices, and favourites, I would have to say that (while you may disagree with some of his views) to name Keith Arthur on a thread for "incompetent celebrity anglers" is harsh in the extreme.
    Peter I never said he was incompetent I actually said "Celebrity angler I most dislike is Keith Arthur."
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

  8. #18

    Default Re: The most incompetent celebrity angler on tv....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    Locally to me (Dorset) he was very much regarded as a celebrity angler rather than a broadcaster. Phil Coles was set up for a prat fall in that Wentworth and Hargreaves fished from a boat on the best swim on the stretch leaving Phil to fend for himself on the bank. Wentworth was keen to show what he regarded as a young whippersnapper who was boss. It was certainly the day that my eyes were opened to Hargreaves' true level of expertise and Wentworth's dogmatism. Years later when I fished with Dave Swallow a lot I found out much more about Jack Hargreaves, the side of him that the viewers didn't see, nor did the biography of him cover. I also watched and fished with Wentworth and found out much about him. Maybe Jack Hargreaves is your hero?
    Not at all. Heroes are for schoolboys and writers

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3
    Posts
    11,185

    Default Re: The most incompetent celebrity angler on tv....

    Big difference between incompetent and irritating and angler as opposed to someone with a rod in his hand making a TV programme. I find Robson Greene and Dean Macey incredibly irritating but whether they are incompetent or in Green'es case even an angler is a moot point.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    metroland.....
    Posts
    7,259

    Default Re: The most incompetent celebrity angler on tv....

    I'm sure the producers of TV angling programmes wouldn't know, or indeed care, if an angler was competent or not.
    What they need is an angler who is fun and can string a coherent sentence together. These shows are more for entertainment than anything else, the majority of the viewing public wouldn't spot the incompetence, they just want to be entertained.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •