The most incompetent celebrity angler on tv....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just keep recommending Sensor, Ian....that'll do it ! :)

Maybe said individuals " misdemeanour" was not that heinous in the great scheme of things but its the arrogance of the act that got up my hooter. And I recall Wislon admitting to fishing in the close season years ago when he'd found some big perch and run out of time. I'm not suggesting he got away with it because of who he is but its not right and isn't anything to be proud of so why mention it ?

I reckon you'll come round on the sensor :wh.

Yeaph, you would think Wilson would have kept his trap shut!.....silly old Wilson lol.
Maybe he knew he was gonn'a fire off and live abroad and didn't give a monkeys?

If you decide to move the BJ reel on put my name on it along with that Hardy 11ft avon rod, oh, and the supero barbel rod :).

bracket

Reaction score
The problem for angling programs is that the maker is investing money in the show and wants to sell it, it needs numbers watching it, so how to go about that?

I'm guessing they have the option of choosing an out and out respected angler to host the show (who also has a personality, can act, sounds good etc. etc.) and accept only anglers will watch it - and half of them won't like it because we all disagree on nearly everything :wh - or find a well known "personality" with experience in front of the camera and hope the public boost the watching figures.

Molehill has got this dead right. Unfortunately the makers of one of the first, and most technically correct angling series ever made did not consider these aspects. It involved highly skilled anglers, who had proved themselves time and again, and were household names amongst angling circles. For the knowledgeable angler it was a must watch. For the uninitiated general public, it was like watching the proverbial paint dry. For those who may remember, I am speaking of "Hooked" fronted by Jackie Charlton. Pete.

Philip

Reaction score
Oh man, I hated that screeming reels shyte!

I probably would have put it slightly more diplomatically but in essence, yes, I have to agree with your appraisal of it. :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I probably would have put it slightly more diplomatically but in essence, yes, I have to agree with your appraisal of it. :)

Haha, it was shyte though.
I remember the presenter made me skin crawl. I think his name was Nick something or other.

Philip

Reaction score
Haha, it was shyte though.
I remember the presenter made me skin crawl. I think his name was Nick something or other.

Nick Fisher if memory serves me well.

Actually I didnt want to be critical on this thread of anyone but if I was forced to choose he would actually be the fishing "celeb" I disliked most & most unfairly of all I dont even really know why ! I just didnt like his face, it was like John Hurt gone wrong & I hated his style, his delivery, his manner and , well, literally everything he said or did.

I used to think the only reason they picked him to front it was because he had "Fish" in his name.

I know its unfair but as I say ..if I was FORCED to choose worst fishing celeb it would be him.

Sorry Nick.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Screaming Reels, has been shown recently, Another one from the past that I thought was good was "The Fishing Race"
Nick Fisher was the presenter of Screaming Reels, he also has been a guest presenter on River Cottage, and also wrote screenplays for television, New Tricks, Hustle , Holby City. Screaming Reels was **** though.

Philip

Reaction score
The Fishing Race

Was that the one with the Golden maggot as the reward ?

Possibly TVs meanest ever prize after slogging their guts out running all over England trying to catch fish.

Keith M

Reaction score
Yep, the golden maggot, there were some good episodes such as fishing in someones garden pond to get a specific species,

Yes it was ‘The Fishing Race’; a fishing competition in which the aim was to catch the greatest number of different species of fish in a variety of locations; with teams of two.

I also remember Jim Gibbinson and Ian Gillespie fishing for a piranha in a small pond in a zoo, and another team getting a topless woman to paddle up and down in another location to try to distract one of the other teams.

It was not a technical fishing show but just good light hearted fun which appealed to everyone; whether they were an angler or not.

The first series featured Dennis Darkin and John Darling, Brian Harris and Clive Gammon, and Ian Gillespie and Jim Gibbinson. The second series, set in Sweden, had as competitors Clive Gammon and Gareth Edwards (the Welsh rugby player), Kevin Linnane and Terry Eustace, Jim Gibbinson and Ian Gillespie. The prize for the winners was the Golden Maggot Trophy.

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
Not exactly a celebrity angler but this weeks video gaf should go to AD for showing people how to form a granny knot in a loop to loop connection

YouTube

Jump to about 1.30 where he joins the two loops together. I don't use loop to loop but everything I've read says it should look like a reef knot before tightening.

wetthrough

Reaction score
If there isn't then I do beg his pardon. As I understand it, prior to pulling tight the joint should look like the right hand one in the image not the left hand which I've seen called a granny knot?

loop_knot.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
If there isn't then I do beg his pardon. As I understand it, prior to pulling tight the joint should look like the right hand one in the image not the left hand which I've seen called a granny knot?

View attachment 5460

What you are showing there is exactly the same knot. How it sits when pulled tight depends largely on the differences between the two lines being coupled. A big differential (in stiffness/diameter) is more likely to result in something that looks less like a reef knot.