Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is the use of modern terminal tackle intuitive!

Look,things have always been the same,if you want to learn you read and ask questions,either from other anglers or tackle shops,some advice will be rubbish,but you will learn and you will continually try modern gizmos,I use a maver hair rig tyer whilst barbel fishing and yes I can tie them by hand,but with this tyer I can set the hair length and it remains that length until I reset it,superb,just one bit of kit that has helped my angling over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    To to relieve the boredom I went to spend a penny and a guy rooting around in the grass caught my eye
    Mike for an opening sentence that's a stunner lol.

Terminal tackle, of any era, has never been remotely intuitive to any complete beginner. There have always been odds and sods that would leave an experienced angler bamboozled if they were handed to them without any explanation or context.
    I find some old items of tackle, from before my time, leave me really puzzled without any explanation forthcoming. They are invariably items that never really took off and weren't developed further by the trade. If you lived through the period that they were current, you may stand a chance, if you didn't, you are likely to be stumped.

When I go into a tackle shop these and look at the shelves I think what the hell do we need all this for we only want to catch a fish. Some of the rigs and bits and pieces you need a degree in science and technology to work out how they go together.
    Do they catch you more fish I doubt it but they do sell so someone thinks they do.

Thanks for all the replies! I agree Tackle is not intuitive in its use! That poor chap probably has been put of for life! I offered to loan him a pellet bander jobby but he reckoned he could do it by hand! I can't unless I've got all day and not bothered about fishing!!

I have to say, returning to the sport after a 5-6 year break, I wandered in to "Eric's Angling" at Farlows and just didn't have a clue what half the stuff on the shelves was.

So many hooklength materials, Carp rods that are so thin yet offer 3lb TC's, and what are these "barrow" things? Bite alarms about half the size of mine, the goal post rod pod systems.....

Method feeders, not really popular 5 or 6 years ago, are now all the rage, and all the bait additives & flavourings.

Really did my head in, I came home and did some more research before going back and parting with any cash.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Of all the very many gizmo's available nowadays ( some brilliant, others not so much) the one that has ALWAYS defeated me is the hook tier. I have tried...believe me I have tried...but I just do not get it and never have. Likewise the whip finish tool used by fly tiers. Utterly defeats me.

Fortunately my eyesight is still good enough and fingers nimble enough to tie hooks down to as small as I need and I have enough flies to last me seversl lifetimes.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 29-08-2018 at 12:01.

given the amount of free info on youtube/google/ etc. I'm surprised this chap didn't at least do some homework before venturing out? I was fortunate enough to be taught by my dad who was/is a very good angler-how i would have got on when I started 40 years ago without info, I dread to think.

9. Default Re: Is the use of modern terminal tackle intuitive!

Not everyone has access to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher60 View Post
    Not everyone has access to the internet.
    Really? I thought that was only the over 80's. You even get access to the web in prison these days

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast