My longest break ever.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
That is in over 60 years of fishing.

The current weather played a major role in my decision, ''I hate excessive heat'', but now I sense a change. My anticipation is building by the day, but I will still need to be selective on the days I choose. In short my excitement is evident even to Mrs G.

Does anyone else suffer from a similar affliction, but perhaps for other reasons.

Reaction score
I hate not weather Derek,but what we classed as hot say twenty years ago(say 24/25degs)is now the norm,when it was hotter than the figures mentioned i'm loathe to venture out,for one the fish don't feed well and worse I can't enjoy my day,at the moment temperatures 19/22 are comfortable...

thecrow

Reaction score
I also cannot stand the hot weather we have had this year, thankfully I have got out and fished early packing up before it was to hot for me, as Alan said 19/22 are ok.

Best of luck on your future days.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A combination of filthy hot weather and poor health has kept me away from the water for several months. Only very recently have I felt remotely interested in picking a rod up again....I am slowly getting back to it but realistically I think this season is going to be a major washout.

It would have been very easy at times to give it up completely but fortunately I resisted the urge.

I pick and choose my days and venues to suit me now and that seems to work.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I can't cope with hot sunny weather, it totally drains me. The recent run of very hot days have kept me indoors.
In fact I've had exactly one day on the bank all summer.

On top of that I had a small procedure in hospital that didn't go right which ended with a weeks stay has an in patient, it was supposed to be a day surgery thing that escalated. When I've recovered from my latest treatment I've promised myself to put some time in on the bank.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was the very hot weather that prompted to try my luck with my first attempt at lure fishing for bass on my local coast line, only had a few but it was both enjoyable and very refreshing to have a sea breeze and up to me privates in luke warm water.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
The opportunities for me to fish are limited but because of this i have fished in weather i would not have done normally.
I have packed up early though when the really hot weather was here.
It's not just the hot weather though,it was forecast for rain on the day i could fish in the early spring and i would not normally have gone but i did because it was the only chance i had.
It absolutely hosed it down just after i had got tackled up but on the plus side it showed my coat was waterproof.:)

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome back Derek and i hope your first foray is a successful one! If Mrs G can see your excitement it proves there's life in the old dog yet!:rolleyes::wh

steve2

Reaction score
Although I can't remember the date I think I last went fishing at the end of May or early June. He weather just got too hot for me. I am hoping to get out for some lure fishing an Monday.

peterjg

Reaction score
My longest break from fishing was when I was 16 /17 when I discovered motor bikes, cars and girls - but not necessarily in that order. I had to stop fishing for about 3 months following an operation 10 years ago.

john step

Reaction score
Like most others here I found the heat a right bind. I did not let it stop me fishing as I adjusted the time of day on the bank. I started late and fished into darkness.
I prefer that to early starts. Starting early it goes all downhill in the heat. Starting late is an improving prospect I feel.

carpinbob

Reaction score
I haven’t been out since the beginning of May what with the weather being a pain , but hopefully another 2 weeks then I’m out again.