Uncooked tares

chrissh

Reaction score
I have been given a bag of uncooked tares I have google how to prepare them with different answers

One says soak them over night for 12 hours then cook and another is saying just put then in a saucepan and Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 to 30 minutes

What is the best way and how long will they keep once cooked, can they be frozen

Will the wife go mad, do they stink the house out when cooking like hemp?

Thanks for any help

john step

Reaction score
I just bring to the boil and simmer. Some advocate adding iron tablets to the water to make them darker. I catch on them OK as they are.
They don't smell awful like hemp.
The keep for years frozen. I think they improve upon freezing as they go rubbery and better for hooking.

flightliner

Reaction score
3/4 of a flask top of tares placed in the flask along with an iron tablet then pour boiling water in but leave an inch or so sof any swelling of the seeds.
Leave overnight then pour into a seive and wash under a cold tap.
Bag and use when convenient !

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I think if you soak them it just cuts down on the cooking time.
Keep an eye on them though when you cook them.

Reaction score
By keeping an eye on them,I think it's to not overcook them,lots of anglers like them soft and mushy,these tares are of no use to me,I keep pulling a few out on a spoon and squeezing them between thumb and forefinger,when you can just crush them they are ready,these stay on the hook better when you miss bites,saving rebaiting all the time. Bring to the boil,then simmer with a lid on,leave for approximately twenty minutes(this can vary from batch to batch),then check regularly. Please don't waste your time trying to darken them,it makes no difference to your catch rate at all,I've won many matches on tares and fish do not mistake them for hemp,they eat them in their own right,as they eat many other seeds,fish take less time to respond to tares when fed with hemp,so that is the way it's developed.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I use them all the time and have done so for many,many years.....

You have all the info you need in the posts above, and I can add nothing to what has been recommended.

Only one point; Watch the cooking time if you use this method as they go past the best hooking softness very quickly and the whole lot is lost, but can be used as ground bait, crushed.

Perhaps best to try a smallish amount first??

..................and if you don't already know, push the seed up the shank as having it hanging from the bend not the best presentation, imo.

Lovely bait to use and I hope it works for you....

mikench

Reaction score
I use the flask method Chris with a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda! Make sure it's a decent flask that retains the heat as I didn't and ended up doing it twice! Still haven't caught on them though!!!!;)

Reaction score
Caught roach,dace,chub,bream,barbel,tench,bleak and probably more on tare,so Mike must fish where there aren't any...:wh

mikench

Reaction score
and if you don't already know, push the seed up the shank as having it hanging from the bend not the best presentation, imo.

I wonder if this has anything to do with my lack of success? I thought the little tare on the bend looked lovely!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I wonder if this has anything to do with my lack of success? I thought the little tare on the bend looked lovely!:rolleyes:

I've read that before,but I've found on many occasions that if the point sticks out of the tare too much I don't get a bite,if I slide the tare back down a bit and bingo,what works for you I say...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Mikench....I may well be wrong about 'up the shank' as being the only way to hook tares, but this is what I do and have done the years, and if the seed drops down to the bend then I change it. I am talking still waters though, and others on here may well be happy to 'bend hook' them for running water.

Someone might just confirm this one way or the other........

The only exception to this is when I use a double tare when one is pushed up the shank and the other sits just below it, almost half way round the bend, so to speak. Before I had to stop fishing for health reason I definitely had greater success with double tare AND because two were 'sitting in tandem' the bait stayed in position for a number of recasts. I can safely say the roach I caught from my still waters were better quality fish in the main..........

I say again; Others who fish running water regularly with them mmay well approach this in an entirely different way......More than one way to skin a cat!!

I hope to fish this week and I will be going all out with tares to begin with, but once I have them (hopefully) feeding well I intend changing to the berry, a lovely bait to use, just for the sheer hell of it!!

The berry season lasts for such a short time it is a pity if they are, at the very least, not given every chance to work, even if proves unsuccessful. Just great to try something different - imho, anyway!!

wetthrough

Reaction score
Make sure it's a decent flask that retains the heat as I didn't and ended up doing it twice!

Once may have worked for me as I put a bit less than a cupful in a 500ml flask. I've just done some more the same way and they're good.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The answer to this may well be regional, so you might get differing opinions form different parts of the country.....

As far as I'm concerned, and I'm talking about the south of the country (Reading, Berks and surrounding areas), AND I'm also talking primarily about still waters, I tend to stop using them in December BUT again the weather and more specifically water temperature, will also have affect my decision. If we have a reasonable December and this continues in January (without major drops in temperature) I have still caught roach on them.

What I have written above contains a lot of 'if's and but's' but this is how it has been for me over many years, and when I look back through my basic diaries I haven't caught a great deal after Christmas on tares. What I will say is that if I have stuck to certain swims on certain still waters, and fished them several times a week with this bait, feeding with hemp, I am quite sure you can prolong the period roach will take them.

The same goes for hemp; Some years I cannot get roach to feed on it (more or less) after the end of November, but then I have had caught 40+ roach on the stuff on 22nd December!! Again I'm talking still waters).

Personally, I think it never a bad idea to carry a small bag of tares and hemp taken from the freezer which might just the chance of a fish when other baits fail as we move into the cooler months. If they don't work pop them back in the freezer........

Water temperature, air temperature, wind direction, etc. all play a part, so taking these factors into account, I would suggest this; If you fish for roach and have swims that produce good fish regularly, then concentrate on them and stay with them throughout Oct/Nov/Dec using the tares with hemp feed. Give them a chance to work and not just try them for half an hour!!

Hawb811...............Apologies if you are already aware of the above. It is alos just my experiences with this bait and others might offer different opinions.......

Good luck, though!