Venue apathy

stripey

Reaction score
It isn't really a problem to me Blinka, its either river or sillwater, i have consciously been fishing the upper trent all season and been loving it like never before!,as soon as i get a cavalier attitude about catching it kicks me right up the backside and i have to sit myself down and start to evaluate my mind set, and either have a couple of days on a stillwater or try different sections of the upper trent, i like to fish the trent as much as possible before winter sets in and it turns it into a raging torrent, then i have to fish stillwaters so the seasons dictate where i will be fishing, so in a word i let the weather tell me where to fish.

Reaction score
I just think everyone has periods like that in their fishing,not every year perhaps,but at times and typically weather related,maybe normally the autumn to winter change,but it happens,lack of rain this year has definitely been a issue on rivers and stillwaters.

benny samways

Reaction score
Can defo relate to you on this one Binka.

I was well into my carp fishing on a 25 acre pit throughout May and June, and I was really getting a feel for the place, catching some lovely old carp along the way. Then with the heatwave the lake turned into a toxic swamp. An evil algae bloom has left the place bubbling and loking horrible and I just cant bring myself to fish the place.

I had a great Autumn last year Barbelling on the Great Ouse but we had rain and flow which meant the fishing was ‘able’ to be good. The low flows this year just make it an almost impossible task.

So I am in the doldrums, habitually going to an ‘easier’ carp pool in which I have caught most of its residents and generally going through the motions.

I want the algae to ****** off so I can get back on my pit, with a bit of rain thrown on for good measure so I can have a few evenings barbelling.

bezzer

Reaction score
It's been a funny old season so far, with the rivers and some stillwaters suffering from low water and/or dissolved oxygen levels.

I'm faced with the prospect of a week off work and having worked hard over the weekend to clear my jobs list at home I now have the opportunity to get a few sessions in but I really can't get enthusiastic about anywhere in particular.

Anyone going through the same mill?

Yes I feel exactly the same. I've had today booked off to go down to the Severn for a month now, but yesterday decided to not bother. Been on the rivers half a dozen time this season and apart from one decent morning, it's been very poor.
I'm currently prepping walls ready to paint. Sad or what.

B

binka

Yes I feel exactly the same. I've had today booked off to go down to the Severn for a month now, but yesterday decided to not bother. Been on the rivers half a dozen time this season and apart from one decent morning, it's been very poor.
I'm currently prepping walls ready to paint. Sad or what.

Better things to come mate, maybe it's fate and you're getting all the jobs out the way ready for that Autumn red letter day ;)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I stopped coarse fishing the last two years and the break was good; I just got a bit fed up with it. I have been about 6 times since June and had some fish, found a couple of new places to try and enjoyed it. I am lucky that I live on the coast and can do sea fishing as well so interspersed with that I can break things up a bit and a bit of tidal river fishing thrown in as well. That's how I think I will carry on from now on, keep mixing it up with just a few well chosen coarse sessions.
Going back to some of my old haunts pre-the break was good, finding out how they fished again, my sea fishing has been the poorest I have ever known it but the seasons and species change and I can still look forward to that. I think fewer sessions, going only when the mood takes me and choosing the type of fishing how the mood takes me I should become less jaded in the future.
I have done all the hobbies, painting, photography, chess, collecting etc and many have fallen by the wayside however, even when I have gone off fishing it always come back so I have always kept my rods and gear on hand.
I am going to read less of the depressing stuff if I can as well, we have too much of that; I am sure it affects our moods and how much we want to go fishing especially if your in the doldrums anyway.

Last edited: