Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Expectation vs Realisation.

Luck willcatch anyone a big fish, maybe even a record fish, but to be consistently ‘lucky’you need a lot more than just luck.................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

There have been many red letter days in my angling life,big catches,catches of large fish,of all species,but some days with little success have given great pleasure to me,yesterday's one barbel was a win,win,even though I've caught many bigger ones,everything is relative,anyway I've done with my Plato moment....

John S, you have me at a disadvantage mate. I've no recollection of any of my lures appearing in the press, that is unless my memory is worse than I think. Can you recall where you saw them.

Blog Entries

If ever I pack up and don't think about the "next time" I reckon I will pack it up.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Blog Entries

I’ve had quite a lot of good days when I have caught more than I expected over the years, but it’s not always big fish that have given me my red letter days.

The red letter day that stands out more than any of the others that I’ve had was way back in the late 70s when a mate and I were fishing a local pond known as ‘Squires’ which had smallish Carp in it up-to around 13lb-ish.

It was a steaming hot day and thunderstorms where forcast in the area and it was back in the days of fibreglass rods which didn’t tend to conduct electricity like carbon rods do today, so we weren’t that worried. I remember I was using a Jim Gibbinson Clooper Carp rod that I had made myself from a kit bought from Going’s Bros of Southend with a Mitchell 300 reel and an old white ‘Heron’ bite indicator.

As we started to hear thunder in the distance the Carp runs started quite suddenly, and they continued, one after the other, continually while the heavens opened above us and the lightening was right overhead, these runs continued untill about an hour after the storm clouds had passed and the runs then stopped as fast as they had started.

My mate and I had had around 15 to 20 Carp into double figures each during this storm and I still remember this day as if it was yesterday.

Nothing big but a quite memorable few hours fishing for us and what I would call a red letter day.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 07-09-2018 at 16:59.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Keith, glad nothing went pear shaped but my understanding is that the fiberglass rod, because it offers more electrical resistance, could end up shattering. If it shatters, then the lightning has to go somewhere..................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barbelboi View Post
    Keith, glad nothing went pear shaped but my understanding is that the fiberglass rod, because it offers more electrical resistance, could end up shattering. If it shatters, then the lightning has to go somewhere..................
    Yes but we didn’t really know this in those days and we were more worried (but not overly) by the trees around us being struck by lightening.

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gibson View Post
    John S, you have me at a disadvantage mate. I've no recollection of any of my lures appearing in the press, that is unless my memory is worse than I think. Can you recall where you saw them.
    Sorry Derek, I didn't mean I saw them just that they were mentioned in the Angling press. I cannot remember his name but a chap was showing some remarkable hand made lures in an article. Immaculate art work almost.
    He paid you the compliment of saying he learned a lot from you about lure making.

At the time I PM'd you to ask if you were the same Derek Gibson and you said you knew him.

When I was younger and first started fishing my expectations always exceeded my results. However the older & more experienced I get the more my results start to match or even exceed my expectations.

I guess its because you start to know what’s realistic on a given venue at a given time and set your expectations accordingly. You also start to pick and choose your times and your targets better & as you gain experience you also have a better idea what to do in a given circumstance to try and catch the fish.
    All this helps to stack the odds in your favour.

When your a keenie first starting out, every cast you hoped to catch a monster... I actually quite miss that !

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Sometimes thinking outside the box can work, I was in a match on a commercial, for the first 3 hours or so I had around 2lb of bits in my net, It was raining and windy making presentation against the island around 10 metres away difficult using the pole. Instead of putting a heavier float on, I tied a length of line to the dacron connector on a spare topkit,threaded a float up it and finished off with a method feeder and short hooklength with quickstop on the hook. On went an 8mm pellet after mixing some 2mm pellets and groundbait together,The groundbait for cloud attraction and 2mm for "feed" attraction, The float was just for a marker set around a foot overdepth,After a couple of fish, it did not matter if I lowered the feeder in or "slapped" it in I ended up with over 50lb of F1's in the next 2 hours to win the match.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast