Expectation vs Realisation.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm long past the time when I chased around the southern counties to find big tench, barbel and chub (I passed on carp, sort of) and these days, partly because I am limited by health issues and consequently the number of times I can fish, I limit myself to a small number of waters, both running and still, that I can reach easily and fairly quickly, and more importantly where I have (all other things being equal) the best chance of catching.

As far as I'm concerned, familiarity with waters is key, particularly when it comes to catching better quality roach, perch and in the warmer months, crucians, and when I say 'better quality' I mean relative to what the water holds. The OP used the word 'expectation' and I have to say I expect to catch every time I fish, even in winter when, like others, I have my share of blanks, BUT if anyone is going to catch on my waters, I give myself every chance that it will be me! It might be seen as 'blowing my own trumpet' but I do catch well the majority of times......

I am so familiar with my waters, I can virtually tell when I arrive what I might expect to catch and this is helped considerably by the fact that I can choose the swim where I GIVE MYSELF THE BEST CHANCE. That word familiarity again.
I watch other anglers who arrive and drop in the nearest swim to the car (regardless of conditions) 'expecting' to catch and are always amazed when it doesn't happen. They will walk around to me in my shaded swim after an hour and after a few minutes say "Cor, it's a bit chilly here, I'm off back to my swim in the warm sun"(never thinking to work out why I'm catching well and he isn't) and off they toddle.
Giving yourself the best chance, isn't it??...........................

Yesterday I fished for a few hours; The first two after good roach (I caught two) early on, and the last two, because roach were showing up in the water with lots of surface activity, I decided to go for a fish a chuck on hemp and tares, and very enjoyable it was too. Nothing bigger than 8" but good fun!

The chap opposite (with all the lake to choose from) sat in the sun watching a motionless float.................

Realisation? Oh yes, that's the feeling that comes over you when you leave the car in zero temps and find the water partly covered in ice.......Still, I'm out in the fresh air!! Mmmm..

Last edited: