Autumn, now we will see how they run.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
In my experience this is the season when most fish will give the best account of themselves, especially following the temperatures we have been subjected to over the last few months.

I'm certain this is not my imagination based on diary entries over many years. I can't wait to get on the bank, hopefully next week.

Or do you think I'm talking hogwash?

theartist

Reaction score
Can't say I've noticed much difference due to the time of year on rivers, for me it's more down to flow levels, Autumn tends to be low water here and if anything there's less fight, not including the mighty scrap from those giant Sycamore leaves of course. Catch an uncaught fish on an unfished stretch and all hell breaks loose no matter what time of year.

Perhaps it's species specific or even venue specific depending on the quality of the water at the time?

flightliner

Reaction score
I've had a few nice Tench this summer but two I had yesterday in fourteen feet of clear water had my arms feeling like they had been holding back a horse all day so you may be right Derek.

seth49

Reaction score
Must admit the carp where I fish, seem to be fighting harder these last few weeks, had a terrific scrap of a nine pounder last week, thought it was a lot bigger, there looking really well now they’ve recovered from spawning, in top condition.

mikench

Reaction score
I hope you are right Derek! Time will tell and I love autumn for a whole variety of reasons none of which are fishing related! If I can catch fish as well them all will be well!:)

B

binka

I think you're spot on Derek, and the prolonged drop in overnight temperatures is the signal which tells fish what is ahead before they go at it full bore in preparation.

Nature's way?

Either way I shall be out there in a renewed and very re-shaped campaign for that ever elusive, super huge stripey ;)

One day... One day...

Philip

Reaction score
Not sure they fight harder but mid Sept to Mid Oct is a prime time for catching. Just about everything is having a munch & I run round in circles trying to decide what to target as they are all having it.

Keith M

Reaction score
I usually step up my line strengths a little at this time of year because historically I’ve caught most of my largest Barbel from September onwards.

I believe this is because the Barbel in the streams and rivers around me are steadily putting on weight at this time of year to see them through the colder months that could be coming; when a lot of their food will start to get scarcer and scarcer and their body clocks will start to slow down so that they can survive a bit easier in the freezing cold winter temperatures, and their need to eat gets far less, so Autumn; when they are trying to put on weight; is my favourite season for catching Barbel.

That’s what I’ve always thought, although often the really cold months seem to get fewer and fewer these days; except for the occasional really cold winter; and the barbel have seemed to remain quite active a little further into the winter months; and I’m hoping that it’s the same this autumn and winter.

We often get more rain and flood water at this time of the year too and the streams and rivers around me often get a good flush through after the low summer flows, and there are times when the rivers run high and there is lots of debris being washed downstream and the warm weather anglers start to disappear too.

Keith

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Difficult to prove or otherwise, but as others have said, fish caught of late seem to be pulling harder than those caught during the heatwave.