Rod for Wye Barbel?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Look njce ,yes,bloody horrible to hold imo.

Ok, i've never handled one. I've seen the trotter rod and it was half decent.
The JW centenary rod looks nice also but again i've never handled one.
Regarding holding a barbel rod, most of them feel ok to me for their purpose as I wouldn't be holding it all through the session.
If I was touch ledgering and holding the rod the hardy 11ft avon is my favourite. It's the best avon rod i've ever handled and really is an all rounder. I often use mine for both legering and for trotting....it's a dream rod!

Reaction score
To be fair mate I haven't picked up the entire range(when they were about),but I picked up three or four,they reminded me very much of split cane,in as much as the top heavy nature of them....maybe lots of people will like them for that reason eh,
lol.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To be fair mate I haven't picked up the entire range(when they were about),but I picked up three or four,they reminded me very much of split cane,in as much as the top heavy nature of them....maybe lots of people will like them for that reason eh,
lol.

No idea about split cane rods except that after handling a few i'd prefer carbon.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Funnily enough I have a 5 piece youngs travel barbel rod that I got on ebay for a decent price, specifically for use on holiday. Its actually ok, though it is heavier than my other avons. Given that it spends most of it's time on a rest, I'm not that bothered (generally on holiday its used most often as a sleeper rod for larger carp). Playing wise, it's a decent rod.

bullet

Reaction score
I've got one of the trotters, and it is ok, but pretty heavy. Once you've used the likes of acolytes, matchpros etc , you wouldn't go back to it, but for the money, it's fair.

silvers

Reaction score
Out of interest, how big do the Wye Barbel go in general? On the bits that I've fished around Hereford (very) low doubles is the best that I've caught and seen.
I've not had any particular problems catching them on a heavy feeder rod (Daiwas in my case), although I have to limit how far out I fish if it's got a fair bit on (more than 1.7m at Hereford bridge gauge FWIW). I appreciate these aren't the snaggiest or most powerful parts of the river.