Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rod for Wye Barbel?

Having had my first trip to the Wye recently, and having a fantastic time, I can see I will be visiting again, hopefully soon.
    I took the only rod I have that I thought suitable, an old greys 1.5 TC Prodigy TX specimen,
    this coped well with everything, the river was low, feeders and bags, but tbh I've never really liked the rod and find it a bit heavy in the hand and generally rather brutish.
    My tackle expenditure has been rather limited this year, so I feel I can manage an upgrade to something a bit more pleasant to use but capable of dealing with a range of conditions on the Wye.
    Any suggestions?
    Ben.

Default Re: Rod for Wye Barbel?

I think i'd stick with what you have, especially if the rods ten or more years old.

Why do you say that, Tigger?

Quote Originally Posted by bullet View Post
    Why do you say that, Tigger?
    Say what?

If you mean if the rod is one of the older ones, that's because the older prodigy rods where the better ones. I was told they where harrison blanks.

That's what I meant...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bullet View Post
    That's what I meant...thanks.
    No worries, apparently they where a better build all round than the later offerrings.

Blog Entries

Especially the ‘SX’ models which were the next model up from the ‘TX’.

I have one of the ‘SX’ Prodigy barbel rods.

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Harrison Torrix 1 3/4 is your man.

Blog Entries

I'm horrified to think that the early(or any other)Prodigy was a Harrison blank,I've never picked up a Harrison(barbel)rod that felt anything like that,saying that the prodigy rods felt different on every one I picked up,so by the law of averages you should be able to get a goodun,back to the thread question,Harrison Torrix for me also(1.75lb),I prefer 11ft,but with the Wye a 12fter is probably the best option,budget allowing that is,if not,you need to go walkabout looking at different rods as it's very easy to be disappointed,even with the Torrix I'd advise you look at someone's first,though I'm sure you'd be delighted...

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I'm horrified to think that the early(or any other)Prodigy was a Harrison blank,I've never picked up a Harrison(barbel)rod that felt anything like that,saying that the prodigy rods felt different on every one I picked up,so by the law of averages you should be able to get a goodun,back to the thread question,Harrison Torrix for me also(1.75lb),I prefer 11ft,but with the Wye a 12fter is probably the best option,budget allowing that is,if not,you need to go walkabout looking at different rods as it's very easy to be disappointed,even with the Torrix I'd advise you look at someone's first,though I'm sure you'd be delighted...
    You've lost me there?

When I went into Harrisons I looked at both the torrix and the chimera rods. The price difference between the two was pretty negligable, the torrix being about 8 quid a rod more expensive....I prefered the feel of the chimera myself.
    I used to use the old daiwa tournament whisker kevlar rods for my barbel fishing and they where fantastic, I very much regret selling them.
    If you can find one, the best barbel rod i've ever handled is the Hardy marksman supero rod, all the rest pale into insignificance for me after seeing them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast