Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  44
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    O.C.F.Disorder Guest

Default Re: Eating freshwater fish

Well we used to farm perch and they are apparently very tasty. I love catching a trout or two for the pot but that is as far as it would go.

I think it may be because we are surrounded by oceans which contain delicious crustaceans and fish.
    Out of the Coarse fish , I've tried Zander, Pike and Grayling. All were bland, with a poor texture, IMO.
    I wouldn't bother with any of them, but the Zander was a bit better than the others.

3. Default Re: Eating freshwater fish

When i was a kid my dad used to take me on his works matches although he never fished himself.
    At the end of the match there was always 2/3 fella's collecting all the eels caught.
    I can remember my mother was never best pleased when we took some home.
    They both liked the eels though but there was just too many bones in for me.
    I also tried a pike once but didn't rate that either.
    How times change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JJW View Post
    Re Fish being killed for weigh ins in matches. I've heard of the practice, but it died out a lot longer than 20 years ago. I think it was probably the 60s or early 70s it was last done. I remember hearing Keith Arthur talking about it on his radio show a few years ago. They used to have size limits like in sea angling.

I've eaten trout I caught from a commercial put-and-take fishery . I wouldn't dream of taking home wild fish for the pot - trout or coarse fish.
    Fish were carried to a weigh point,after which they attempted returning them,which obviously was a flawed method and many must have been lost,but because in the days of size limits,not that many over the said limit were caught,often few fish were actually taken to be weighed. On a worse note I watched a few BAA begins being fished on the Severn,in the early days of weights of barbel,the amount that were dropped,or laid on the sandy banks was disgusting,I was stunned because at the time I was match fishing myself and our weighing was far more humane.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Fish were carried to a weigh point,after which they attempted returning them,which obviously was a flawed method and many must have been lost,but because in the days of size limits,not that many over the said limit were caught,often few fish were actually taken to be weighed. On a worse note I watched a few BAA begins being fished on the Severn,in the early days of weights of barbel,the amount that were dropped,or laid on the sandy banks was disgusting,I was stunned because at the time I was match fishing myself and our weighing was far more humane.
    There's no doubt that fish care in matches was abysmal by modern standards, and I'm not that impressed by current standards of fish care in matches. However, can you, or anyone else, honestly say that they have actually seen fish deliberately killed for a weigh in at a coarse fishing match? I definitely have not, not in any match I fished, or observed, from the early eighties to the turn of the century (when I gave up match fishing).

had baked carp once, in Budapest (where it's on every restaurant menu) It was just like a Pathe Gazette newsreel-in no hurry to repeat the experience.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I dont know when the practice ended but certainly all fish in the World Championships were killed. Never heard of that anywhere else.

As for eating coarse fish I think that was born out of necessity many, many years ago and gradually died out. I've tried all the usual suspects none of which ever made me want to try them again. I recall one half decent pike and a reasonable grayling....the rest were a waste of space.

Given the chance I'd try a zander but I doubt the chance will present itself and I would never kill a corse fish just to eat it though I'll take the odd sea trout/salmon if I'm lucky enough to get one.

8. Default Re: Eating freshwater fish

I did once have a perch circa 1lb grilled and it was excellent. However.............
    The last fish I caught and deliberately killed to be eaten was a hapless jack pike of about 3lb taken circa 45 years ago from a loch in Dumfries and Galloway. It was 1 of 3 occasions if memory serves me correctly when my late wife accompanied me fishing. We were staying with relatives at Kirkcudbright and one of their neighbours, a retired gentleman, fancied himself as a gourmet chef. He asked me to catch him a pike for a French pate recipe that he wished to try.
    Pike duly took a small roach I had just caught, was landed then bashed to death with the wife's Scholl sandal. Don't know why but I was never fully forgiven for that. Dead pike was handed over asap to the chef and the following day we were invited to try the resultant pate.
    It was bl**dy awful and my conscience has never fully recovered.

I can remember in the 60's my Granddad going fishing for dinner. Dishes including Pike, Perch, Eels, Trout. The last time i ate Pike was back in the late 60s. It was a way of life for his generation with food shortages caused by the wars. Before his time( he was born in 1897) Everyone ate course fish. I have no idea why this practice died out in England. Maybe pollution, i don't know. I know it is still popular across Europe.
    These days the only course fish i eat is Trout.

Blog Entries

Before I had transport the only way I could fish anywhere but local was to go on bus trips with local clubs, matches were invariably held on these days although I didn't take part in them preferring to fish on my own, I cannot recall any fish being killed rather the catches were weighed on scales taken to each anglers peg, this would have been over 50 years ago.

I don't know about big matches but in these small club matches that happened each time there was a match.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast