Eating freshwater fish

The bad one

Reaction score
I'm of the understanding that the eating of coarse fish started to die out between the first and second world wars, as the growth in transport and refrigeration became more readily accessible.
Watched a programme last night on lost railway lines where Scottish wholesale fishmongers would have salmon and other fish caught from the Spay estuary and area coastal villages along the line, ready for the 3 00 pm train south and into English markets. No doubt this type of sea fish/food distribution was happening from every major fish landing ports around the UK.

In effect any town or village with a railway station was able to have iced fish/sea food delivered to it within 24 hours of landing. Also as motorised transport (vans) became within the reach of small mongers businesses they would travel to towns and villages with no direct railway links to sell their wares.
I know for a fact this was happening during the early 1950s when I was a kid, as I lived in a village and the fish man as he was known to us, came on Wednesdays.

By the start of the second world war it would be unlikely there wasn't many towns or villages that wasn't covered by sea fish/food distribution.
I also know that by about 1940 the War Office took a decision that to feed the nation cheap protein in the form of fish and to make up the shortfall of seafish being landed, they funded the setting up of commercial coarse fisheries and canneries in Lake District. The principle fish being canned was perch and to convince the public of this source of fish protein, they marketed the canned perch under the name of“Perchines.” A play on the word “Sardines” which were very popular at the time as a staple canned fish.
By 1950 the fisheries on the Lakes had declined into terminal finality and stopped producing, due to sea fishing coming back on line and into full swing, supplying once more the much preferred sea fish.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have no idea but it is illogical and bizarre! I am told that many freshwater fish taste unpleasant and should be purged of what and where they eat in clean water first! I was amazed to learn that all fish in matches were killed not for the pot but to weigh them and this practice only ceased 20 years or so ago! I have eaten pike in France and carp in Poland and properly prepared they were delicious! Mind you many bland ingredients taste delicious when butter, garlic and herbs are added , even snails!!!!

Where was this when killed to weigh in Mike, ? I have fished matches around the North West and on the River Severn around Abermule and surrounding areas over the past 50 years and never come across it. We even returned any pike caught in stead of retaining them to weigh in because pike did not count in the matches, This was to stop anyone playing a 6oz roach as if it was a 10lb carp in the hope a pike would go for it. I have a book very similar to the Mr Crabtree style books, I think it may be called Fishing with Terry and Jim,? At the back of the book are recipes for freshwater fish,

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Basa: I give the cat 60g/day of pollock. One day, the shop had none, so I bought basa. Neither cat would touch it. Put me right off, as did an account of the hygeine standards of the producers... I hope it was slanderous, but I still don't fancy basa, especially as I had tried it before the feline opinion was sought. It hasn't got much going for it.

Has Geosmin been mentioned yet? In his book "The Longshoreman", (wonderful enough to have been a Radio 4 "Book of the Week") Richard Shelton explains that this substance gives many freshwater fish a bitter and muddy taste, and (bless him) gives the cure - marinate the fish in lemon juice or vinegar solution overnight; the acidity breaks it down.

If I were forced to eat freshwater fish, I'd give them the gravlax treatment (it works brilliantly on trout, I've tried) - fillet and skin the fish, coat and cover with a mixture of sugar and salt, flavoured with dill and/or juniper berries, in a dish, put a weight on top to help squeeze out the water, put in the fridge and turn them over daily. If you're going to keep them a while, drain and re-cover after day 1. Slice, wrap, freeze. They become so concentrated that they stay flexible in the freezer. Delish!

Somewhere , I have a book called "First, catch the fish" or similar, full of coarse fish recipes. I don't know if it's a warning of what happens when too many people try to harvest a finite resource, or just an expression of the vagaries of angling in general, but the last recipe is what do do if all you could catch was minnows.
It's title?
"Consolation Soup".

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Basa: I give the cat 60g/day of pollock. One day, the shop had none, so I bought basa. Neither cat would touch it.

I tried it and found it revolting. Catfish from Far East from polluted water is what I read about. No thanks.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve been told that whenever it just says ‘Fish’ on a menu instead of saying Cod, Haddock etc. it is usually just Vietnamese Catfish (Basa); so I never eat fish on a menu like that which hasn’t been named.

Ive had it before and it is pretty vile compared to real Cod, haddock or skate etc.

I like to know exactly what I’m going to be eating, and where it was caught (within reason).

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In the southern States there are many Catfish restaurants that range from proper buildings with a full range of fish and sea foods on the many to wooden shacks on the bayous and those serve only Catfish.

My in-laws took me to a few of the shack-type places, and to be honest the hygiene left alot to be desired, as did the taste of the fish. I only ate catfish a few times and will never be tempted again I’m afraid.

Where we lived in Mississippi there were many sea food places to eat in, and who needs catfish when crawfish and oysters are so plentiful and inexpensive. In it local fish place you could get a dozen fresh oysters and a cold beer for $10

The bad one

Reaction score
I've said before on here I've eaten coarse fish in Russia with varying degrees of indifference to it. A type of Cornish Pastie mad from curcian carp, heavily spiced with Paprika and dill... passable as fast food at a stop on the Trans-Siberian Express. Crayfish in a restaurants round the back of the Kremlin near the memorial to the unknown soldier, very nice.
Sturgeon in supposedly the best restaurant in Moscow, No 1 Red Squire, with the PA of the then ambassador of the UK. Tasted very earthy and not particularly nice. Omal an indigenous white fish to Lake Baikal smoked at the side of the road that was excellent very taste indeed. Taimen, a salmon type of fish that is found in Siberia, nothing special!

steve2

Reaction score
I tried it and found it revolting. Catfish from Far East from polluted water is what I read about. No thanks.

We already eat fish from polluted water unless of course you call the sea clean. Lets not forget no one would eat rock eel if you put it's true name dogfish on the menu.
So all we need to do is rename fish to something more user friendly and people will eat it.

john step

Reaction score
We already eat fish from polluted water unless of course you call the sea clean. Lets not forget no one would eat rock eel if you put it's true name dogfish on the menu.
So all we need to do is rename fish to something more user friendly and people will eat it.

Yes I take your point about the sea being polluted. The point I was making was that I read an article somewhere or other where it stated that a lot of the fish farms that produce basa are very heavily polluted, much nmore so than the sea.
If I remember correctly , from industrial heavy metals and sewage.

I agree that it would be nice if all our edible fish could come from unpolluted water. Wouldn't that be nice.

I used to like rock and chips though.

JJW

Reaction score
I've eaten dogfish from a chip shop in Mevagissey that was named on the board as dogfish. Wanted to try it. It was ok but much prefer cod.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
It's often called Rock Salmon!!!! Not keen on catching them let alone eating them!

wetthrough

Reaction score
Have to differ with you there Mike. Caught and eaten it and thought it was really nice. Tasted more like Prawns than fish as I recall and quite meaty in texture but it wa a long time ago.

mikench

Reaction score
I will try some again next time I see it in a fish and chip shop in Yorkshire where they do make the very best fish and chips!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dogfish were sold in the chippy as “Rock Salmon” until the Trades Description Act of 1968 where it became illegal to mislead customers in the description of a product.

Locally the name changed to “Huss” but I knowit was called different things in different parts of the country

mikench

Reaction score
It still is Peter!:)

starry smooth hound (Mustelus asterias) is a shark species which is perfectly legal to sell in the UK using a range of common names such as dogfish, flake, huss, rock eel or rock salmon under the Commercial Designations of Fish legislation.

Philip

Reaction score
The best thing about Rock Salmon and chips is that you only had one big long bone down the middle to contend with..the rest was just meaty flesh on the sides. Very yummy if you get a good one done well.

Like a few others I have munched on all the usual freshwater suspects and Zander is probably the nicest I recon. Perch are ok and the rest are pretty bland imo. Worst by a country mile is Barbel. Awful.