Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Eating freshwater fish

A bit controversial I know but when and why did people in this country stop eating freshwater fish?
    Last night I was chatting to a friend and we have both in the past eaten freshwater fish that we have caught.
    Throughout the world people eat freshwater fish so why don’t we?
    The Victorians had gudgeon and bleak picnics where the fish went straight from the river into the pan. Up until the 1950’s or later many fishing books had recipes on how to cook your catch.
    We are quite happy to fish from our polluted seas so why not how rivers and lakes.
    With a never-ending growth in population in this country will farm reared freshwater fish be back on the menu some time soon. After all at the moment it is a virtually untapped source of food.

Default Re: Eating freshwater fish

I have no idea but it is illogical and bizarre! I am told that many freshwater fish taste unpleasant and should be purged of what and where they eat in clean water first! I was amazed to learn that all fish in matches were killed not for the pot but to weigh them and this practice only ceased 20 years or so ago! I have eaten pike in France and carp in Poland and properly prepared they were delicious! Mind you many bland ingredients taste delicious when butter, garlic and herbs are added , even snails!!!!

Blog Entries

I have eaten the odd Zander that has been deep hooked as they rarely survive it.

I have seen Carp and Bream on fishmongers slabs in the past but I refuse to believe that all are from farms located abroad.

I would have no objection to farmed coarse fish being on the menu but how can a check be kept on where those fish on the slab have come from? imo it will further increase the chances of fish being stolen and sold to fishmongers leading to even less stock in our waters.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Blog Entries

Some freshwater coarse fish are very tasty and are eaten in Europe and Scandinavia where you will almost always find Pike, Perch, Zander, Grayling and Carp on the menu, depending on the area.

That said,the rules and laws there are somewhat different to those existing in Englandand Wales where the fish in still waters belong to the riparian owner, and on most club stretches of river and canals there are rules that prevent the taking of fish . . . . .

Personally I find Pike pretty tasteless unless you make them into fish cakes and add a lot of herbs or spices; Grayling I think are one of the tastiest on their own as well as Zander. I would regularly eat those, by choice, on a menu in both Norway and Sweden.
    I only tried Carp a few times and found them to be a rather “sour”taste to be honest.

Here at homeI think a there are simply many alternative options to “fishing for the pot” which, coupled to the more stringent rules and laws, makes the eating of coarse fish prohibitive.
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 21-09-2018 at 09:47.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I think it’s just a sentimental British trait not to eat certain creatures.
    We don’t eat horsemeat, dogs etc whereas other countries do.

I've eaten grayling and trout in the past, but I've not had a grayling for at least 25 years. I recall trying carp once, it came from a mates garden pond.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I was amazed to learn that all fish in matches were killed not for the pot but to weigh them and this practice only ceased 20 years or so ago!
    No chance, I have no memory at all of fish being routinely killed in matches. Though standards of fishcare, and keepnet design, have improved hugely over the years, keepnets have been used for at least the 35 years (+) I've been fishing. I'm pretty sure that they've used for a lot longer than that. I'd suggest that the routine killing of fish to weigh in at matches goes back further than living memory.

Blog Entries

I have a friend who regularly buys trout from fish mongers, I once said to him fresh water fish are not the tastiest and not a patch on sea fish.
    He told me that he'd tried a few different fresh water fish and they were all given the ceviche treatment by him and all were delicious, he told me the one fish he preferred and I was astonished.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    I have a friend who regularly buys trout from fish mongers, I once said to him fresh water fish are not the tastiest and not a patch on sea fish.
    He told me that he'd tried a few different fresh water fish and they were all given the ceviche treatment by him and all were delicious, he told me the one fish he preferred and I was astonished.

I really do enjoy eating ceviche dishes when in southern France where it is very popular, and almost all species of fish benefit from the process.

However, you really tend to taste more of the curing liquids than the original fish; the citrus juices, the onion, salt and spices . . . . .

I imagine that Grayling Ceviche would be very nice . . . . I must give that a try oneday, out of interest though, what was you friend’s preference?

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I'd like to think that the reason most of us don't think about eating fish we catch is more than sentimental. I love my fishing and realise that if I eat what I catch today it won't be there tomorrow.

I'd hope that our sport increases our awareness and concern about environmental matters. This is an overcrowded country and if we ate the fish we catch it wouldn't take more than a year or two to denude our rivers of most of their life. I guess that all we'd be able to do then is play Fish Sim on our X Boxes.

Re Fish being killed for weigh ins in matches. I've heard of the practice, but it died out a lot longer than 20 years ago. I think it was probably the 60s or early 70s it was last done. I remember hearing Keith Arthur talking about it on his radio show a few years ago. They used to have size limits like in sea angling.

I've eaten trout I caught from a commercial put-and-take fishery . I wouldn't dream of taking home wild fish for the pot - trout or coarse fish.
    Last edited by JJW; 21-09-2018 at 11:44.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast