EA Licence Sales . . . . Down

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not a member of that club. Never have been, and as I'll be relocating to Provence by Easter I am never likely to ever be a member.

We we just need to agree to disagree on this one.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
If the EA really want to help an endangered fish then they should stop issuing licences to trap eel's every year but hold on that would mean not getting the income from the netsmen wouldn't it?
The EA don't get much revenue from the netsmen at all. I don't know how much it is, I did read it some years ago when the EA wanted to charge for crayfish trapping licences, but we got that stopped. Id like the netting of eels stopped also.

As for this £30,000 grant, doesn't it have to be cash matched by the applicant organisation? I would have thought so although again, I have never needed to apply to the ATr for anything, yet. The EA gave us £10,000 for habitat improvements to a stream that we hope will encourage more spawning activity, but that was dwarfed by a £100,000 charity grant. It will all be spent - ON THE STREAM and not on toilets! I guarantee.
20180804_132022.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
Geoff, just an aside back to your eel pass, A water I fish on occasions has one fitted. It's nothing more than a long strip of what appears to be Astro turf rolled down an incline and secured, apparently very efficient too.
I'd be tempted to use a long plank with brush heads nailed to it as an alternative.
Obviously every situation is differant, maybe yours even more so.
I mention this as as the amount you quote seems rather a lot of money???

Philip

Reaction score
I am guessing but I suspect allot of money for these types of things is wasted as it goes towards products that are "certified this" or "environmentally approved that" and they charge a premium for it. Plus I suspect that H&S probably plays a part and you have to have a "qualified installer" do it to "approved h&S standards" etc etc.

You can become so bogged down in red tape that its easy to lose track on what your actually trying to achieve. Take the Eel pass. It’s a tube with brushes for an Eel to pass through. That’s it.
How can it POSSIBLY cost 30k ?

It simply does not …what I suspect makes it cost 30k is the unnecessary bureaucracy and you have to adhere to, to cover your back side from potential litigation when some idiot decides to try and walk across it for a laugh, hurts themselves then sues you because you didn’t have it installed by an certified installer & have a sign specifically saying “don’t climb on this”.

shane99

Reaction score
My guess is a mixture of both reasons. Let’s run a quick poll, when did you last get asked to produce your licence?

In four years I have been asked once, three years ago at a day ticket water by a very meticulous bailiff. I’ve never seen an EA officer checking for licences.

getting on for 18 years ago - April the first. Bet that EA Officer visited a lot of waters that day & would love to know how many Anglers he found without one - he checked electronically as I didnt have the physical but I bought online the night before.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Let me say it again; Any club can apply for an improvement grant.

The only restriction to any application being the availability if funds at the time of application.

Why only clubs? What about urban fishing areas, bet they could do with a bit of help. Farmers who allow fishing on their land, run down commercials or day ticket places, council free fishing areas. I would love to see these areas stocked with fish and improved; everyone who fishes these pay the same licence and even the non fishing public benefit.
If there are 10,000 clubs in the country with an average membership of 500 that's only 50% of the licence payers so 50% don't get anything, maybe more than that. And all those areas are open to all the public which is how public money should be spent, not for private fishing and their tool sheds! Or at least the offer should be available for anyone with a good case to put.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Geoff, just an aside back to your eel pass, A water I fish on occasions has one fitted. It's nothing more than a long strip of what appears to be Astro turf rolled down an incline and secured, apparently very efficient too.
I'd be tempted to use a long plank with brush heads nailed to it as an alternative.

I have seen that in my local park streams, just a plank with nylon brush attached. I imagine the very small elvers can wiggle their way between the strands and bigger eels can wriggle along the top, either way they must have plenty of grip to get along. Must cost about £10.

bullet

Reaction score
A lot of "scientific" equipment seems to carry a massive premium.
I monitor invertebrate numbers on a local river for a charity.
The equipment I was provided with is apparently well over £100 a set.....basically a broom handle with a fine meshed net head on it and a plastic bucket, like the ones you get tile adhesive in, also a plastic tray and a few bits and bobs....

Reaction score
'Scientific ',what is remotely scientific about those items,just being conned,again...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Sounds simple enough, but it's all researched and I've had the very best advice from conservation expert at London Zoo and from the EA. These things will be around in 100 years from now.
I did ask about a canoe hitting them and would it get damaged? They said "Yes! The canoe will probably sink." ;)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Take the Eel pass. It’s a tube with brushes for an Eel to pass through. That’s it.
How can it POSSIBLY cost 30k ?
You have it wrong. The £30k was for some toilets and lake improvements. My eel pass is £18k and it has to be securely fitted to deal with floods where 380 tonnes of water are flowing over the weir ever SECOND. It's also all the angles that have to be encountered to make it fit the concrete structure. Our guy spent three hours just measuring the job up.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Post any pictures on here please I could do with a laugh
Hold on, it's not installed yet. :D We do intend having an iron fencing put up with spikes on it to deter canoeists from walking over it to get up the weir. We had it just a week ago when our member was asked to move his rods, would you believe, so they could pass him to do it. They shouldn't even be on our land (except in an emergency), it's private property with a sign saying KEEP OFF.
37269995_2318074788204383_5884953954072133632_o.jpg

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Post any pictures on here please I could do with a laugh
Hold on, it's not installed yet. :D We do intend having an iron fencing put up with spikes on it to deter canoeists from walking over it to get up the weir. We had it just a week ago when our member was asked to move his rods, would you believe, so they could pass him to do it. They shouldn't even be on our land (except in an emergency), it's private property with a sign saying KEEP OFF.
37269995_2318074788204383_5884953954072133632_o.jpg

I monitor invertebrate numbers on a local river for a charity.
The equipment I was provided with is apparently well over £100 a set....
Nah, you can get decent stuff for less than £100. We did and we are going to buy some for a local village community so they can be trained to do it too. Does seem dear for what you get, but it's a quality broom handle. :D

iain t

Reaction score
The EA say they do this and that to improve the riverways. Saying and proving is a different matter. The only photographic proof I've seen over the years is from Ray Walton with loads of trees on a bank cut down. I have never in the last 30 years seen the EA do anything on the rivers i fish. All the improvement have been done by the clubs and their work parties. So why should i pay a government body that says they care when in reality it's the clubs that do the work. Seems that paying for a licence over the years is just for an extra income for the government to waste on themselves.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I have never in the last 30 years seen the EA do anything on the rivers i fish. All the improvement have been done by the clubs and their work parties.
And here's the big laugh (on us!)
When your club wants to do something on the river, build platforms, put in berms, even a step down to the river, you MUST get permission from the EA - and here's the laugh - THEY CHARGE YOU FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF DOING IT YOURSELF!

That's like taking your car to a garage for an MOT and it failing on windscreen wiper blades, say. You tell them, you'll fix it and they say "We'll have to charge you for the permission to do that."