Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is POLE fishing still popular?

Hi guy, ive just taken early retirement and I am thinking of getting back into fishing after a 15 year break. My question is.....Pole fishing! Is it still popular, the reason I ask is that I had a walk around 2 pools which I'm thinking of joining, and there was not one person fishing the pole. Don't get me wrong I used to enjoy fishing with a rod & line myself but when fishing a match I used to fish the pole.

So I would be interested to hear your feed back on whether there as been a down turn with pole fishing in recent years.

Thanks Phil.

Default Re: Is POLE fishing still popular?

I would say it's more popular in certain venues, fishing has become quite tribal, by this I mean people like to identify as a particular genera, if that's specimen then to be seen with a pole would make you as popular as like having a 'selfie' with Hitler to those in your genra.

However match fishermen and general pleasure anglers are possibly more pole fixated now than ever before? We have even built lakes designed for pole fishing - snake lakes.
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Blog Entries

I can only talk from my own standpoint,I have three poles,they rarely see the light of day,in fact I have two or three feeder rods,but I use these six to eight times a year,my fishing mainly rotates between float fishing,mainly lakes in the months from April to november,rivers the rest,I barbel fish in between....why because that's what I enjoy doing ,imo pole fishing killed the ability to be able to cast accurately and control your float,do what YOU enjoy and don't follow the flock,you'll probably have better results. Reading this back it sounds like a rant,it's not meant to be,more a little suggestion.
    Last edited by whitty; 27-09-2018 at 13:35.

Assuming you're not intending to start fishing competitively, then as Alan says above, just do whatever makes you happiest. I've never owned a pole so can't really comment but what you may find in the 15 years that have passed is that most tackle has grown stronger to accommodate an increase in the numbers of carp that are stocked. What would have been a one-pound pasty back when you were fishing is now a 15 or 16 pound bruiser of a fish hoovering up bait in the margins... and tackle has grown stronger as a result.

However, there's still plenty of whatever type of fishing you want... just go an enjoy it, you've got the time to now!!

O.C.F.Disorder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daniel121 View Post
    I would say it's more popular in certain venues, fishing has become quite tribal, by this I mean people like to identify as a particular genera, if that's specimen then to be seen with a pole would make you as popular as like having a 'selfie' with Hitler to those in your genra
    I have never encountered this! Do people really shun other "tribes"? I would never shun someone for their method of fishing and am always keen to learn other methods to catch fish (if I see them used effectively). I guess I have opinions about certain ways to fish.. like self hooking rigs being a bit boring or poles being a bit unsportsmanlike but I still use and enjoy both these methods regularly.
    I have felt a tribal vibe around what venues people fish but thats pretty understandable considering human nature.

Pole fishing is as popular as it ever was. However, if you fish certain waters, and talk to certain types of angler, it could be easy to believe otherwise.

Ask on a different forum to this one, and pole fishing is likely to appear more popular. Look in on a certain type of water and it's likely to be the predominant method being used.

Whether an individual bothers with pole fishing is likely to come down to two things, the venues they tend to fish and whether they enjoy fishing a pole.

I've nothing against pole fishing. I even have a top end pole, though it is an old one. However, I no longer tend to fish the type of venues where a pole would be most useful because I don't particularly enjoy fishing them. I can say just the same for fishing quiver tip rods.

Neither my poles or quiver tip rods see the light of day very often, but I have no doubt that they can be most effective tools. Unfortunately, I simply prefer to floatfish with running lines, even if other methods might be more effective.

I was thinking the other day when was the last time I saw a pole angler, probably on the Canal where they are still used a lot. Used to see them a bit on the smaller rivers but they have shrunk so much in size you only need a standard rod to hold station on the far bank now, plus there's the need to rove on these venues so which isn't suited to the pole angler and the gear that goes with it. Can't remember the last time I saw one one a river.

people like to identify as a particular genera, if that's specimen then to be seen with a pole would make you as popular as like having a 'selfie' with Hitler to those in your genra.
    I mentioned in a recent post that it reminded me of a well known phrase used by Catherine Tate’s character Nan, I’ve just been reminded again!

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    I mentioned in a recent post that it reminded me of a well known phrase used by Catherine Tate’s character Nan, I’ve just been reminded again!
    But am I bovvered?

Best way to be, fishing is first and foremost about personal enjoyment, I feel lots of people forget this nowadays, how the individual gets that enjoyment is up to them and nobody else's business.

I have to admit to turning up in camo to match lakes and bright colours including my pink pound shop hat to specimen waters just for giggles. Amazing as it may seem the fish don't seem 'bovvered' what I have on my body
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

But am I bovvered?

Best way to be, fishing is first and foremost about personal enjoyment, I feel lots of people forget this nowadays, how the individual gets that enjoyment is up to them and nobody else's business.
    So True, I’ve spent a few months chasing the bigger bream and carp on my club waters and to be honest I’m not nearly as satisfied as I was the other day when I caught a chub of about 1lb on the river. Then a load of small perch. So my lesson learned do what you enjoy and sod the rest!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast