Waste 'Cocktail' Destroying Oxfordshire Rivers

maceo

Reaction score
What a terrible shame to see the report in today's local paper and heartbreaking to see the photos.

Campaign warns of waste 'cocktail' destroying Oxfordshire rivers | Witney Gazette

"Of the eight major rivers which flow through the Oxfordshire, including the Windrush, Cherwell and Thames, the majority were recently classed as either moderate or poor."

"a massive cocktail of human waste, antibiotics and bacteria in our rivers"

It's sheer environmental vandalism from these privatised water companies who pump untreated sewage into pretty little chalk streams like the Windrush.

Reaction score
Disgusting isn't it,not least because someone should be responsible to maintain water quality...

xenon

Reaction score
yeah, turning a basic need such as clean drinking water into a source of private profit was always going to end well, wasn't it? Not.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There was just as much pollution prior to privatisation as there is now.

My my view is that if the water companies are to remain private then a good percentage of their profits should be used to modernise the facilities. Any shortfalls in replacing infrastructure should result in higher corporation taxes.

Reaction score
Or custodial sentences for the ceo's of said water companies for being responsible for their companies actions....

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Or custodial sentences for the ceo's of said water companies for being responsible for their companies actions....
That's what I used to chant at one time, but as the Judge said at last year's trial in Aylesbury "I cannot send anyone to prison for this." It's a corporate matter not a personal one.
I'd like to know more and will do in time, but we should all remember that the main culprits for screwing up the system are - the public. Toilets are for human waste and toilet paper ONLY and sinks should not have oils and fats poured down them. I've been around a few STWs now and wet wipes (rag), gravels (as they call them), and fats are their biggest bugbears.

theartist

Reaction score
That's what I used to chant at one time, but as the Judge said at last year's trial in Aylesbury "I cannot send anyone to prison for this." It's a corporate matter not a personal one.
I'd like to know more and will do in time, but we should all remember that the main culprits for screwing up the system are - the public. Toilets are for human waste and toilet paper ONLY and sinks should not have oils and fats poured down them. I've been around a few STWs now and wet wipes (rag), gravels (as they call them), and fats are their biggest bugbears.

Remind us again what happened at Aylesbury Jeff? Was that the public's fault?

thecrow

Reaction score
I've been around a few STWs now and wet wipes (rag), gravels (as they call them), and fats are their biggest bugbears.

I agree about stuff going down toilets and plugholes however are they their biggest bugbears because they can be seen? Other stuff that could be filtered out with the right investment are invisible and just ignored.

theartist

Reaction score
A big series of cock ups created by middle management who concealed it from the board for too long. But some of the problems were caused by wet wipes in a pumping station.

Given the public will continue to flush wet wipes and all sorts down the loo is there not a better way of filtering these out, or would it cost too much?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Des Taylor reckons in this week's Angling Times that the 'pop-up' car washes don't prevent their detergent washings from going down the drains whereas they should be drained into a containment system.

steve2

Reaction score
This can now be said of most rivers in this country and we are all to blame some way.
It's a weird world where people will pollute the water that is coming out of their tap then spend £'s for the same thing in bottles.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Des Taylor reckons in this week's Angling Times that the 'pop-up' car washes don't prevent their detergent washings from going down the drains whereas they should be drained into a containment system.

Everytime I go past one of these car wash places where all the employees apear to be immigrants I think about the polution they're causing, the places are nearly allways mad busy! These places where up and running even when the hosepipe ban was in place....using drinking water to wash cars at a time like that ffs!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I used the car wash in Aberdeen almost every week for over 2 years, and even though staffed by migrant workers, the waste water complied with all local and national waste water regulations, (our project HSE manager did check as the company was very environmentally minded.)

If anyone has any concerns regarding any car wash waste then a simple report to the relevant local authorities is well advised.

As for Des Taylor’s views, well, they are well known on both social and political topics, as the furore at the last BS AGM showed.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score

I know of 3 near to where I live where the waste water goes straight down the storm drain there are probably more, one of them is on what used to be a pub car park

The bad one

Reaction score
It's not just the car washes that allow the contaminated waste water run into the main sewage system, it's every car owner who washes there car on the front drive or road way every Sunday morning..... Not mine btw as it got its annual wash on Monday before going for its MOT. :) Plastic fantastic !Oh and it's a 100% recyclable plastic as well..... Smug Eh! :lol2::hippie:

TrickyD

Reaction score
Talking to a guy a few weeks ago, he was told be an EA employee that without treated sewage going into the local rivers, they would be dry by now. Not fished it this season as its been painfully low .

steve2

Reaction score
Talking to a guy a few weeks ago, he was told be an EA employee that without treated sewage going into the local rivers, they would be dry by now. Not fished it this season as its been painfully low .

There were plans to close a local sewer treatment plant near me because of the smell until it was pointed out that the river it feeds would dry up. The flow on my local River Roding is also down to sewer treatment plants I was told this over 20 years ago so it's not new. I would assume this is the same on many of our smaller streams.
There is no getting away from it we are all to blame for the state we are now finding the world in, be it pollution of water or the air.

Reaction score
We keep building new houses across the country,along with the water mains to supply housing estates,I would imagine that all the water in our houses and mains is enough to keep the Trent and Severn flowing well throughout any drought,probably more rivers than that...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It's reckoned that the Dorset Stour below Iford (after the last of the three Bournemouth sewage works) has 50% treated sewage in its flow when the river is at its lowest. That said the Avon is topping up the Stour now the water network transfers water from the Avon above Ringwood to the water plants in the Stour valley.