Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Waste 'Cocktail' Destroying Oxfordshire Rivers

What a terrible shame to see the report in today's local paper and heartbreaking to see the photos.

Campaign warns of waste 'cocktail' destroying Oxfordshire rivers | Witney Gazette

"Of the eight major rivers which flow through the Oxfordshire, including the Windrush, Cherwell and Thames, the majority were recently classed as either moderate or poor."

"a massive cocktail of human waste, antibiotics and bacteria in our rivers"

It's sheer environmental vandalism from these privatised water companies who pump untreated sewage into pretty little chalk streams like the Windrush.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waste 'Cocktail' Destroying Oxfordshire Rivers

Disgusting isn't it,not least because someone should be responsible to maintain water quality...

yeah, turning a basic need such as clean drinking water into a source of private profit was always going to end well, wasn't it? Not.

Blog Entries

There was just as much pollution prior to privatisation as there is now.

My my view is that if the water companies are to remain private then a good percentage of their profits should be used to modernise the facilities. Any shortfalls in replacing infrastructure should result in higher corporation taxes.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

Or custodial sentences for the ceo's of said water companies for being responsible for their companies actions....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Or custodial sentences for the ceo's of said water companies for being responsible for their companies actions....
    That's what I used to chant at one time, but as the Judge said at last year's trial in Aylesbury "I cannot send anyone to prison for this." It's a corporate matter not a personal one.
    I'd like to know more and will do in time, but we should all remember that the main culprits for screwing up the system are - the public. Toilets are for human waste and toilet paper ONLY and sinks should not have oils and fats poured down them. I've been around a few STWs now and wet wipes (rag), gravels (as they call them), and fats are their biggest bugbears.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
    That's what I used to chant at one time, but as the Judge said at last year's trial in Aylesbury "I cannot send anyone to prison for this." It's a corporate matter not a personal one.
    I'd like to know more and will do in time, but we should all remember that the main culprits for screwing up the system are - the public. Toilets are for human waste and toilet paper ONLY and sinks should not have oils and fats poured down them. I've been around a few STWs now and wet wipes (rag), gravels (as they call them), and fats are their biggest bugbears.
    Remind us again what happened at Aylesbury Jeff? Was that the public's fault?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    Remind us again what happened at Aylesbury Jeff? Was that the public's fault?
    A big series of cock ups created by middle management who concealed it from the board for too long. But some of the problems were caused by wet wipes in a pumping station.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Blog Entries

I've been around a few STWs now and wet wipes (rag), gravels (as they call them), and fats are their biggest bugbears.
    I agree about stuff going down toilets and plugholes however are they their biggest bugbears because they can be seen? Other stuff that could be filtered out with the right investment are invisible and just ignored.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

A big series of cock ups created by middle management who concealed it from the board for too long. But some of the problems were caused by wet wipes in a pumping station.
    Given the public will continue to flush wet wipes and all sorts down the loo is there not a better way of filtering these out, or would it cost too much?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast