ULTIMA FLO-CAST HOLLOW MONOFIL. Your thoughts

iain t

Reaction score
I have just found 2 spools of this in sizes 4lb and 6lb in my line draw. As the name suggests the line is hollow in the middle. This also suggests it's a perfect floating line. One problem is i have read is that the line does not like the cold weather as it can become brittle.
Have you used this line and what are your thoughts on it?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious to know the diameters of the line in comparison to other lines of the same B/S.

chrissh

Reaction score
Found this on a google fly fishing site

ANTI TWIST MICRO GROOVE SYSTEM
The six microgrooves reduce any tendency for the line to twist to a minimum, ensuring it stays straight with it's original extruded profile. This is a remarkable development and an advantage that many see as being the most important in this line's specification.

LONGER CASTING
The reduced surface friction resulting from the grooved surface and lighter weight assists longer and smoother casting.

PERMANENT HIGH FLOATING
Flo-Cast's hexagonal central hole reduces it's specific gravity from 1.14 to 1.04, making the line more buoyant and permanently floating.

A TRULY UNIQUE LINE
Flo-Cast is so revolutionary that the extent of what it can be used for has yet to be fully established. We do know that it is already delivering in the areas for stick float and wagler fishing and the unique characteristics of this new product will give great benefits in float fishing, carp fishing, trout fishing and rig making when beach fishing.

To get a central hole in a diameter as fine as 0.18mm is a remarkable feat and at present, although we have been asked, it doesn't look as though we can go any lower than this. The other remarkable thing is that the ultra high quality polymers mean that Flo-Cast is as strong, or stronger than most other hi-tech lines that don't have a hole in the middle.

It is generally recommended that Flo-Cast is used only when the general water temperature is above 10 degrees celsius. Due to the method of construction, high abrasion in very cold conditions can cause splitting in the line and while this does not affect the line's performance it can make it difficult to handle. If this does happen the section can be simply cut off and replaced.

The colour has been carefully chosen making it invisible against the sky from the fishes point of view but clearly visible on the surface so the angler knows when to correct any bow in front of the float.

[url=https://postimages.org/] [/URL]

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for that Chris :).

Deffo not for me that one, their strength to diameter is very suspicious to my mind.
Also a line covered in groves is more likely to pick up surface scum and sink!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I used to use it regularly, but it has been discontinued. In normal use it was absolutely fine. However, as the op suggests, it did have a bit of an issue when water temperatures got close to freezing. The issue wasn't that it got brittle, just that it seemed to delaminate. It effectively separated into strands, it didn't seem to weaken it though. It did mean that I'd end up binning a couple of feet of it after using it in really cold conditions. Despite that issue, I'd still be happy to be able to get some more. I've got just one part spool of it left. It floats better than any conventional mono I've ever encountered.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If i'm honest I just don't like ultima line. I remember the first ultima I used was a long time ago and it was a free spool off a angling mag.
By the way I didn't buy the magazine, it was a m8 of mine :).

lambert1

Reaction score
I'm with Sam on this one. I managed to get some from Ebay and still use it. I don't have much left unfortunately as to my mind and admittedly limited experience, it is good and floats very well.

iain t

Reaction score
The colour is a strange transparent pink. It looks like is better to use it in the warmer months. I've just reloaded my pins but will give it a try later

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to use it occasionally for trotting on my pin but on a windy and gusty day it would sometimes lift a little bit too easy off the surface, and I also used to use it on a fixed spool reel for surface fishing for Carp, which it seemed Ideal for as from below it didn’t seem to have too much of a ‘surface film footprint’; and it seemed to lie out a little straighter on the surface too.

I still have some 5lb flo-cast loaded onto one of my Sheffield spare spools for trotting but haven’t used it for quite a while now so I probably never will as it’s getting a little too old now.

I was a little sad when it was discontinued as I liked it too.

Keith

Last edited: