Probability in fishing

mikench

Reaction score
the extent to which an event is likely to occur, measured by the ratio of the favourable cases to the whole number of cases possible.

This is the mathematical definition! My peg today consisted of wooden boards 6" wide and with a gap between them of .5"! I dropped in no particular order a baiting needle, a hook, a pack of float stops, a float and some quick change swivels! Everyone dropped clean through the gap and not one landed on a plank! I couldn't have achieved a 100% success rate if I'd tried! What is it about gaps in pegs above water!!! At least I got the float back because, well , it floated!!

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Those platform sound dangerous with a 5” gap.
You could break an ankle or worst if your foot slipped sideways between that gaps how do you get a chair to sit on them without the legs going between the gasps

chrissh

Reaction score
Half inch Chris! 0.5"!

Are half inch is better.
on one of the fisheries I go to they renewed all the platforms this year with the same 1/2“ gap … one of the guys there dropped his keys though the gap the owner of the fishery had a magnet on a length of string just for this happening the guy go his keys back along with scissors, forceps, knifes, baiting needle, old hooks plus more, that was from just one platform

theartist

Reaction score
The probability of losing gear when you are too busy putting decimal points into imperial measurements is quite high one would suspect :D

john step

Reaction score
I can lose things in plain grass let alone a platform. Earlier this year I noticed the battery door was missing on one of my alarms. It could only have come adrift where I was fishing because I always take batteries out when not in use.

I have been back 3 times to the spot with a rake but it seems to have evaporated into the air!

wetthrough

Reaction score
Disgorgers are my favourite. I buy them in bulk now. Maybe chicken wire on platforms isn't such a bad idea after all!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I very rarely fish a still water and even more rarely a still water with platforms. I don't like fishing off platforms and the chicken wire is a major hazard, landing nets get caught on it, hooks get hooked under it etc etc.
Since most clubs use decking to construct their platforms and decking has grooves to allow water to run off it why do they leave gaps between the planks....not a good idea imo.

peterjg

Reaction score
Probability (and maths) in fishing:

There are three fishing mates, they have been fishing all day, not a bite between them, they are demoralised and hungry. They decide to go to the local pizza restaurant and share a jumbo pizza. They each have 10 one pound coins in their pockets, no other money.

They walk into the restaurant and order the jumbo pizza, the waiter says it is £30, that's ok they say, we have the exact money. Good says the waiter because I have no change. The three anglers are half way through the pizza when the waiter returns with 5 of their one pound coins, sorry he says, I have overcharged you, the pizza is £25.

The anglers say thanks for being so honest, and each take £1 back and give the last £2 to the waiter.

Therefore the three anglers each paid £9, total = £27 + the waiter's £2 = £29. Where is the other £1 coin?

Sorry, I'll shut up!

wetthrough

Reaction score
Since most clubs use decking to construct their platforms and decking has grooves to allow water to run off it why do they leave gaps between the planks....not a good idea imo.

I think, because they expand and contract. If they were tight together in the summer they might buckle up in the rainy periods.

theartist

Reaction score
I very rarely fish a still water and even more rarely a still water with platforms. I don't like fishing off platforms and the chicken wire is a major hazard, landing nets get caught on it, hooks get hooked under it etc etc.

I'm forever trimming the chicken wire on platforms on a club stretch where it's all gone badly, I think it only takes one brolly to be put up before the wire starts to go. Sometimes it's left far too long and is way too dangerous for anglers nets getting caught and fish getting damaged. It would be better if there was a disclaimer that read Wood -Slippery when wet, or common sense as we used to call it before the days of litigation

mikench

Reaction score
I once rang the legal dept of a large bank and the person who answered said" common sense dept!" . Very refreshing but sadly never repeated!

bullet

Reaction score
I find the same problem with BBQ grills...."How the f**k did that sausage get through there"...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think, because they expand and contract. If they were tight together in the summer they might buckle up in the rainy periods.

Yea, i'm aware of wood swelling and contracting in varying weather conditions although t shouldn't be as much of an issue with treated decking.
If that was a worry then a smal slit left between each plank should be sufficient.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm forever trimming the chicken wire on platforms on a club stretch where it's all gone badly, I think it only takes one brolly to be put up before the wire starts to go. Sometimes it's left far too long and is way too dangerous for anglers nets getting caught and fish getting damaged. It would be better if there was a disclaimer that read Wood -Slippery when wet, or common sense as we used to call it before the days of litigation

Imo there are more con's than pros for having wire on platforms. As far as i'm aware the only pro for having it is to help prevent slipping, where as there are a number of con's...landing nets etc being snagged on it and around the edges of the platform when actually netting a fish, tripping over it or having footwear get caught on it, hooks getting caught on it when they go near the ground, harsh on fish should one accidentally be dropped. There are probably more con's but those spring to mind.
If it's absolutly necessary to cover the wood then there must be other alternatives worth looking at. Some kind of rubber matting for example.
I can remember someone customising a platform using old carpet!....it did work great but I have no idea how long it would have lasted before it needed replacing.
The owners could hoover the platforms first thing to get them nice and clean for the anglers lol.

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
On a stretch of the Derwent I fished last year in winter, I put one foot on a rather damp and greasy platform and went arse over tit. Our garden decking in the winter without the sun on it to dry it is lethal. On a club lake they have invested heavily on recycled plastic platform which are great, still drop stuff between the slats though, and getting bank sticks in is a pain :).

If I take a pack of eyed hook, I can almost gaurantee that I will pull half a dozen out instead of just one, and end up spilling onto either me or the floor, and don't even mention lead shot:(

bullet

Reaction score
No slip decking paint works well, basically varnish with sand in it.
Should never need more than 5mm between deck boards imo.

theartist

Reaction score
No slip decking paint works well, basically varnish with sand in it.
Should never need more than 5mm between deck boards imo.

Makes you wonder why clubs and fisheries don't use this given all the problems over decking and chicken wire, perhaps it's toxic if it gets washed into the water whilst tacky?