Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Probability in fishing

the extent to which an event is likely to occur, measured by the ratio of the favourable cases to the whole number of cases possible.

This is the mathematical definition! My peg today consisted of wooden boards 6" wide and with a gap between them of .5"! I dropped in no particular order a baiting needle, a hook, a pack of float stops, a float and some quick change swivels! Everyone dropped clean through the gap and not one landed on a plank! I couldn't have achieved a 100% success rate if I'd tried! What is it about gaps in pegs above water!!! At least I got the float back because, well , it floated!!
    Last edited by mikench; 28-09-2018 at 17:05.

Default Re: Probability in fishing

Those platform sound dangerous with a 5” gap.
    You could break an ankle or worst if your foot slipped sideways between that gaps how do you get a chair to sit on them without the legs going between the gasps
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

Half inch Chris! 0.5"!

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Half inch Chris! 0.5"!
    Are half inch is better.
    on one of the fisheries I go to they renewed all the platforms this year with the same 1/2“ gap … one of the guys there dropped his keys though the gap the owner of the fishery had a magnet on a length of string just for this happening the guy go his keys back along with scissors, forceps, knifes, baiting needle, old hooks plus more, that was from just one platform
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

Mmmm magnet fishing! I might be better at that!

The probability of losing gear when you are too busy putting decimal points into imperial measurements is quite high one would suspect

I can lose things in plain grass let alone a platform. Earlier this year I noticed the battery door was missing on one of my alarms. It could only have come adrift where I was fishing because I always take batteries out when not in use.

I have been back 3 times to the spot with a rake but it seems to have evaporated into the air!

Blog Entries

Disgorgers are my favourite. I buy them in bulk now. Maybe chicken wire on platforms isn't such a bad idea after all!

I very rarely fish a still water and even more rarely a still water with platforms. I don't like fishing off platforms and the chicken wire is a major hazard, landing nets get caught on it, hooks get hooked under it etc etc.
    Since most clubs use decking to construct their platforms and decking has grooves to allow water to run off it why do they leave gaps between the planks....not a good idea imo.

Probability (and maths) in fishing:

There are three fishing mates, they have been fishing all day, not a bite between them, they are demoralised and hungry. They decide to go to the local pizza restaurant and share a jumbo pizza. They each have 10 one pound coins in their pockets, no other money.

They walk into the restaurant and order the jumbo pizza, the waiter says it is £30, that's ok they say, we have the exact money. Good says the waiter because I have no change. The three anglers are half way through the pizza when the waiter returns with 5 of their one pound coins, sorry he says, I have overcharged you, the pizza is £25.

The anglers say thanks for being so honest, and each take £1 back and give the last £2 to the waiter.

Therefore the three anglers each paid £9, total = £27 + the waiter's £2 = £29. Where is the other £1 coin?

Sorry, I'll shut up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast