Frozen dead bait from the supermarket...

fishplate42

Reaction score
...What fish do you buy and where do you get it from?

Ralph.

steve2

Reaction score
Sardines and Herrings from a supermarket or market stall but only if the size is right, all others from a tackle shop.

john step

Reaction score
If I see sprats I buy some from the supermarket. They are very soft and not the easiest to stay on but they are very good bait.

Mostly for pike I buy a bulk pack of lamprey from The Tackle shop Gainsborough. Mr Fickling does mail order if you are not that close. He also does many other types of freezer bait in bulk. Worth a look on the website.

chrissh

Reaction score
We have a continental supermarket that sometimes have the small 4-5 inch joey mackerel.

you get between 20-30 to a 1 kilo I bag then in 6s and take 2 bag for a day thaw out 1 bag and keep the other in a cold box

The only problem I have found with them is if you take too many for a day’s fishing and don’t use them they don’t re-freeze very well

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I looked in the local supermarkets (Tesco, Lidl and Iceland) this morning, but I could not find anything suitable. Thanks for the tip about The Tackle shop, Gainsborough.

Pilking on Monday Ralph?

Sort of. The idea is to have a go at slider fishing, now the trees have been trimmed and maybe a pole or two. It also occurred to me, time and bait permitting, that we could have a go at finding one of the famed pike that inhabit the Medway. We will see if Nick's Tackle has any deadbait. We only need a few baits to give it a try.

Ralph.

fishplate42

Reaction score
We have a continental supermarket that sometimes have the small 4-5 inch joey mackerel.

you get between 20-30 to a 1 kilo I bag then in 6s and take 2 bag for a day thaw out 1 bag and keep the other in a cold box

The only problem I have found with them is if you take too many for a day’s fishing and don’t use them they don’t re-freeze very well

That's a good point. We have all sorts of continental and Asian supermarkets, down the road. I will go and have a look tomorrow, thanks!

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you’re passing my way I have loads in the freezer Ralph that your welcome to.

john step

Reaction score
Ralph. If I were to fish a river for the first time I would opt for an oily fish with plenty of scent that would be carried to the pike on the current.
Thats the usual suspects...herring,mackrel,sprat, sardine.

thecrow

Reaction score
Have a look at the fishmonger at Morrisons, their Mackerel is line caught and very fresh, I would keep away from Tesco the fish look as if they have been on the slab longer than they were in the sea :)