Waterproofing gear .

dalesman

Reaction score
Is there any actual lightweight waterproof jackets at reasonable cost? I have just returned from a walk in rain and the jacket I wore is only about 12 months old and my shoulders and back are wet along the seams. This is not the first jacket that did that.

Perhaps I expect too much?

I usually look at last season's walking and outdoor style coats, been able to pick up Gortex coats for half price. Being a walking coat plenty of pocket's.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Korum bib and brace ! They are comfy, waterproof and they breathe!

Tony was asking for overtrousers but having tried both I'd have to agree with Mike, a bib and brace for me. What I found with overtrousers is when you sit down, even if you've stuffed jumpers, fleeces etc inside the trousers they end up inching their way out, hanging below your jacket and getting soaking wet but might not happen if you're stood up. Horses for courses.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I wear Paramo walking jackets, John. Not cheap at £300+ but they do last for ever. I have one that I use for summer fishing that must be 15 years old and still okay after Nikwax reproofing. Very nice to wear (non russle) but still I end up somewhat damp inside the latest one - not from rain, but me sweating!

Are they worth the money? For me yes, as alternatives such as Berghaus and the like just don't have build quality
anymore, but that is only a personal opinion.

ps I will have a look at the bib and brace, IF I can find a shop that stocks them!! Thanks for the info, though..

mikench

Reaction score
You can buy online or by phone from Summerlands as per the link! I have the matching jacket and it's perfect! I'm fussy too!

I would never sit out in the rain , that just isn't me! The ensemble whilst not exactly haute couture is comfortable and cool in summer and, I suspect, will be warm in winter with suitable layers! Apart from Orvis, clothing for fishing and for popping down to the pub are very different and rarely overlap ! The Korum jacket does both however!

sam vimes

Reaction score
In my experience, cheap waterproofs generally aren't. There are exceptions, but they are usually horribly non-breathable or significantly underpriced. Such underpricing is either down to getting a genuine bargain or, for some reason, the price not really reflecting the true cost. Ex-MoD Goretex is covered admirably by the latter.

Sadly, I don't like wearing ex-MoD outer clothing, despite still having a bit of it. I certainly won't be buying any new stuff. The next such purchase I make is likely to be a Helikon Tex product. Not especially cheap, but not outrageously expensive.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
bennygesserit..........The scewfix trousers; Am I right in saying they are a standard trouser, and not an over trouser??Are they lined for warmth or would they need something underneath.? I have a Screwfix depot close by so might have a look, depending on what you come back with!

Mikench......Same with the Korum B & B; I'm assuming they are pulled on over other trousers or thermals?

Thanks for the replies, though!

In my description I should've stressed they are primarily for winter, hence the 'lined' requirement...I doubt I will find the perfect product that covers all the angles, so compromise will be necessary.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
bennygesserit..........The scewfix trousers; Am I right in saying they are a standard trouser, and not an over trouser??Are they lined for warmth or would they need something underneath.? I have a Screwfix depot close by so might have a look, depending on what you come back with!

Mikench......Same with the Korum B & B; I'm assuming they are pulled on over other trousers or thermals?

Thanks for the replies, though!

In my description I should've stressed they are primarily for winter, hence the 'lined' requirement...I doubt I will find the perfect product that covers all the angles, so compromise will be necessary.

The ones I have are completely waterproof but none breathable
I wear mine over padded trousers and they fold up to nothing when not in use
I bought mine a few years back so I am assuming they havent changed in the meantime its hard to tell from the picture whether these are exactly the same as mine - though they do look it
The reviews on screwfix look good , though they say the trousers are breathable whereas I don't think mine are.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Same with the Korum B & B; I'm assuming they are pulled on over other trousers or thermals?

Correct! I wear them over jeans or track trousers! They are waterproof and breathable( see spec in the link) to a high spec!