Waterproofing gear .

flightliner

Reaction score
It's that time of year again when some here may be thinking of proofing an item of tackle, bivvy, coat, trews etc.
Any "Go too" type or brand that can be reccamended ?

barbelboi

Reaction score
No Mick. I still use a Prestons Drifish (jacket and bib and brace also a Drennan bib and brace of the same vintage) ) some 15 years of age that has been through the wash numerous times and is still 100% waterproof........................Never use a gamp on the rivers..

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mine go in the washing machine 30 deg wash, 800 spin, a sprinkle of pure soapflakes, no conditioner, and hang on line when done. Or wash down with hosepipe. Be careful if using some reproofing agents if your waterproofs are breathable as well. Make sure you buy the right one for the job.

B

binka

Fabsil Gold for me Mick, spray on for clothes or paint on form for brolly/shelter both have done a top job and I also use it to re-proof my work gear now.

Philip

Reaction score
I heard some people used to coat their bivvies with Ronseal wood seal...although not such a good idea for clothes I imagine ...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I also use the recommended Nikwax wash and reproofer for my gear (Paramo walking jackets and the like) and it works well. I don't have a set period between washes but as soon as the rain water stops running off I know it's time!

Having read the chrish post above I had to google Nikwax 'Polarproof' as I thought I was missing something, but I see it is only for fleeces which I don't use. As someone else said, it is worth checking to ensure you are using the correct product and a quick look at the Nikwax website helps with this. They have a considerable range on offer.....

If you use a lot of Nikwax product it is well worth watching out for offers on the larger bottles sometimes found in walking magazines and the like. Makes a considerable difference to cost. I'm not sure where my wife last bought ours but we got a good deal at the time...........
In my experience they occasionally better the prices found on ebay and the like.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
At the moment, the way I do mine in the washing machine seems to work to get them clean, Also had them a couple of years and not had to re proof yet. I had a Sundridge jacket n bib and brace prior to the Preston DF12 and did the same with those, had them for 6 or 7 years without reproofing,

sam vimes

Reaction score
did this and free stuff is on way

Don't do the "competition" unless it's on of the products you really want to try. Once you have a go, you can't have another for a few months. It's a sod when you've ended up with a sample of goo for conditioning angels wing feathers which means you are unable to get a sample of a product you'd really like that pops up a week later.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Slightly off thread so apologies to the OP...

I'm in the market for a pair of (fairly lightweight) LINED waterproof over trousers, if such a thing exists! I don't mind if they have to be reproofed (back on thread!) and can also wear thermals for additional warmth, BUT they MUST be waterproof. Don't mind paying for quality.

I have been using a pair of Rohans but they are well past best.

Any ideas welcome.

ps Not keen on anything covered in advertising slogans, though!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Slightly off thread so apologies to the OP...

I'm in the market for a pair of (fairly lightweight) LINED waterproof over trousers, if such a thing exists! I don't mind if they have to be reproofed (back on thread!) and can also wear thermals for additional warmth, BUT they MUST be waterproof. Don't mind paying for quality.

I have been using a pair of Rohans but they are well past best.

Any ideas welcome.

ps Not keen on anything covered in advertising slogans, though!

I bought mine from screwfix - I think these are the ones Helly Hansen Voss Trousers Waterproof Black Medium 33-34" W 32" L | Work Trousers | Screwfix.com

john step

Reaction score
Is there any actual lightweight waterproof jackets at reasonable cost? I have just returned from a walk in rain and the jacket I wore is only about 12 months old and my shoulders and back are wet along the seams. This is not the first jacket that did that.

Perhaps I expect too much?