Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Waterproofing gear .

It's that time of year again when some here may be thinking of proofing an item of tackle, bivvy, coat, trews etc.
    Any "Go too" type or brand that can be reccamended ?

Default Re: Waterproofing gear .

No Mick. I still use a Prestons Drifish (jacket and bib and brace also a Drennan bib and brace of the same vintage) ) some 15 years of age that has been through the wash numerous times and is still 100% waterproof........................Never use a gamp on the rivers..
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

I use Nikwax cleaning and proofing products.

Products

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I use Nikwax cleaning and proofing products.

Products
    I just get wet lol.

Just re-proofed my jacket and trouser today with Nikwax tech wash and polar proof
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

6. Default Re: Waterproofing gear .

I buy army surplus waterproofs and they've been cheap but high quality.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

Mine go in the washing machine 30 deg wash, 800 spin, a sprinkle of pure soapflakes, no conditioner, and hang on line when done. Or wash down with hosepipe. Be careful if using some reproofing agents if your waterproofs are breathable as well. Make sure you buy the right one for the job.

binka Guest

Fabsil Gold for me Mick, spray on for clothes or paint on form for brolly/shelter both have done a top job and I also use it to re-proof my work gear now.

I heard some people used to coat their bivvies with Ronseal wood seal...although not such a good idea for clothes I imagine ...

I also use the recommended Nikwax wash and reproofer for my gear (Paramo walking jackets and the like) and it works well. I don't have a set period between washes but as soon as the rain water stops running off I know it's time!

Having read the chrish post above I had to google Nikwax 'Polarproof' as I thought I was missing something, but I see it is only for fleeces which I don't use. As someone else said, it is worth checking to ensure you are using the correct product and a quick look at the Nikwax website helps with this. They have a considerable range on offer.....

If you use a lot of Nikwax product it is well worth watching out for offers on the larger bottles sometimes found in walking magazines and the like. Makes a considerable difference to cost. I'm not sure where my wife last bought ours but we got a good deal at the time...........
    In my experience they occasionally better the prices found on ebay and the like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast