River?

fishplate42

Reaction score
It may be called a river, but The Medway, above Allington Lock, is more like a big canal.

While my brother and I were fishing it this week, it was dead flat with no detectable flow when we first started. An hour or so in, and there was a definite flow for a while, then it stopped and almost seemed to run in the opposite direction for a while, before reverting back to no flow at all.

It dawned on me that maybe we should be treating it like a canal, rather than trying to fish it like a river. My local river here in London is a tiny little trickle in comparison, but because it has no physical barrier (so long as the level stays above the shallow weirs) it flows constantly down and eventually into the tidal Thames. I fish it by trotting a small float down the flow and it works very well (most of the time).

Do the fish differently in this 'canal' type environment, as opposed to the fish in a river that constantly flows?

Ralph.

theartist

Reaction score
Fish behave differently in all types of river Ralph but never question the river being a river, she'll always be a river despite what man does to it :)

Wait till new year when the water levels rise (and we get proper rain) then you'll see her true colours

tomino2112

Reaction score
Been in the same spot week ago Ralph, I was wondering exactly the same it is extremely still. But I fished it as a river and I caught something so not sure if it makes any difference. What I find interesting about that location is that the depth seems to vary immensely. I was lure fishing last time and counting the lure to drop I had very different results every foot of distance. Would be quite interesting to see what the bottom looks like

theartist

Reaction score
Those slow bits like lock cuts will be your friend come winter, until then i'd be looking at the shallow faster areas but all that will change when the first frosts hit hard

thecrow

Reaction score
The tidal Trent sometimes almost stops depending on how high the tide is, its a good time to bait up as you can be more accurate with your freebies.