Composite

steviebearuk

Reaction score
Just because a fishing rod says it is made of carbon composite does that mean they are not up to much??
I have a friend who has one and loves it but my other friends say it is cheap tack.

Regards

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's usually quite dubious as to what exactly manufacturers mean when they use the term "composite". Without knowing, it's nigh on impossible to be sure what it might be a composite of. However, it is generally true that the word composite is usually applied to rods that end up at the cheaper end of the market. I believe that the composite is often one of carbon and glass fibre. That doesn't mean that the rods are automatically inferior tools, but they are usually heavier than more expensive carbon rods. They are often more robust and possibly a bit softer in action.

iain t

Reaction score
Composite can include a mix of Carbon, Fibreglass and graphite. As Sam say said usually applied to from the low-cost range of rods. If your friend likes it, tell him not to worry about his mates as he is probilly catching more fish that them.

thecrow

Reaction score
Just because a fishing rod says it is made of carbon composite does that mean they are not up to much??
I have a friend who has one and loves it but my other friends say it is cheap tack.

Regards

Does he catch fish on it?

Does he enjoy his fishing while using it?

Would he catch more fish using a more expensive rod?

If the answers are 2 yes's and a no there is no problem as far as I can see. Cheap is as ever very subjective, my tackle is not top stuff (I have a landing net handle that cost more than one of my barbel rods) doesn't stop me catching fish and enjoying myself.

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My first feeder rod was a Fladen ExxtraFlex made from basalt fibres and supposedly impossible to break.
I never had any problems with it and whilst I never had anything above 4lb on it it did what was required and I enjoyed using it.

daniel121

Reaction score
Redeemed

Impossible to break? I bet that's not true mate :D

OP

Regarding the question to me compersite means made of several materials? With that in mind my favourite stick float rod in made of graphite mixed with carbon, I can assure you it wasn't cheap mate. Furthermore its certainly not rubbish.

Don't worry what others say, it's a tool to aid bait presentation and play fish. If you like the rod and it does the job you want it too who cares what ya mates say?

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Redeemed

Impossible to break? I bet that's not true mate :D

OP

Regarding the question to me compersite means made of several materials? With that in mind my favourite stick float rod in made of graphite mixed with carbon, I can assure you it wasn't cheap mate. Furthermore its certainly not rubbish.

Don't worry what others say, it's a tool to aid bait presentation and play fish. If you like the rod and it does the job you want it too who cares what ya mates say?

Dunno they're fairly bent over at this stage:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Lol, a lot of rods will take on a curve like that, its when you try and give them a bit more stick they go bang.
North West blanks at one time had a policy of if you break one of their rods in normal use it will be replaced,
I remember Zebco bringing a range of rods out called Rhino, supposedly unbreakable,I don't know if they were
or how they performed.

daniel121

Reaction score
To be honest mate that video proves nothing really, the water is there as a gimmick they don't have a fish on. So we don't know the size of the weight/line they have on?

As mark says above many rods with a through action will bend like that, it doesn't mean they won't go bang. On a humourous note I bet my Mrs could break one pretty bloodly easy - unfortunately:eek:mg::D

steve2

Reaction score
If the rod does the job you bought it for it make no difference if you paid £20 or £200 for it. The most important thing is the enjoyment you get from using it.
The rods that will get the most use from me this pike season are my cheap pike/carp rods at less than £30 each. They have the best action of any of the rods in my collection.

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To be honest mate that video proves nothing really, the water is there as a gimmick they don't have a fish on. So we don't know the size of the weight/line they have on?

As mark says above many rods with a through action will bend like that, it doesn't mean they won't go bang. On a humourous note I bet my Mrs could break one pretty bloodly easy - unfortunately:eek:mg::D

well it cost £26 and did everything i wanted so it's all gravy :)

bullet

Reaction score

Very true, i dont let my missus anywhere near the rods after she broke a nice little 7ft fly rod i had propped up in the corner of the kitchen.
I never got to the bottom of how it happened, although i strongly suspect it was being forcefully removed to a new location,as, "that doesn't belong there"
All are now safely stored in the far corner of the garage, on racking out of her and her cars reach.

mikench

Reaction score
The rods that will get the most use from me this pike season are my cheap pike/carp rods at less than £30 each. They have the best action of any of the rods in my collection.

What are they Steve out of interest?

steviebearuk

Reaction score
Shakespeare omni rods Mikench.. 11ft pellet waggler and 10ft feeder. I have looked on a few websites and they say they are carbon but the rods say carbon composite.

thecrow

Reaction score
Shakespeare omni rods Mikench.. 11ft pellet waggler and 10ft feeder. I have looked on a few websites and they say they are carbon but the rods say carbon composite.

Shakespeare do some good tackle at good prices, nothing wrong with their stuff.

By the way all carbon rods are composites as they have to be bonded using resin so 2 materials are used on them all.

daniel121

Reaction score
well it cost £26 and did everything i wanted so it's all gravy :)

Key there is it did everything you needed it to do, that's all that matters regardless of what any spin doctors at the tackle companies tell us :)

daniel121

Reaction score
Very true, i dont let my missus anywhere near the rods after she broke a nice little 7ft fly rod i had propped up in the corner of the kitchen.
I never got to the bottom of how it happened, although i strongly suspect it was being forcefully removed to a new location,as, "that doesn't belong there"
All are now safely stored in the far corner of the garage, on racking out of her and her cars reach.

Pmsl, mine not as unique as I thought then? :D:D;)