Multiplier use, oiling, repair.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have a second hand Shakespeare Atlantis reel which I used yesterday on the beach and it was OK, cast 100 yids with a cross wind and fairly pleased with it. However, there does not seem to be anywhere to oil it and the star drag did not work. There is also a clicker button that did not work on the other end but not too bothered about that. It only cost a fiver so not expecting much but it would be nice to oil it and repair it if I could. It has a level wind system.
I have a diagram which looks fairly complicated and not sure whether I should take it apart and see whats wrong and try and repair/oil it myself. Any bit of advice might help.

Last edited:

liphook

Reaction score
Not familiar with that particular reel but let me tell you if you are getting 100 yards with a level wind reel it won't need touching! But I suspect you are being optimistic! Taking off the side plates will give you access to the inards and a look through YouTube will give you plenty of info on how to maintain/service them. Is the drag locked down tight?

iain t

Reaction score
An ABU lookalike reel. On sea reels, the worse bit is not washing the reel down after every session. Sound to me that the salts got into the reel and seized the drag. Best for you is to strip down and see if you can get these bits working again

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Its quite small for a multiplier, the star drags working in that I can turn it and it winds down tight but its not doing anything, the spool stays free running. I have been using it the last few times and the level wind is probably cutting the cast down but it is a lot easier to use with it, I used to use a multiplier many years ago and always found all that thumbing of line distracting and I am thinking I prefer the level wind dispite the distance. I am sure I am getting 100 yardish. I paced out 100 steps on the beach a while ago when using my carp rod and 2oz weight and was getting 50-80 steps on it, I am getting further with the beach rod and this multiplier with 4oz grip weight.
I am not too bothered about the star drag but I am not sure whether to take a look. If I remember rightly multipliers are a bit complex inside, springs that fly off and not easy to put back together and a bit of oil might not go amiss, is wd40 OK.
I will see if I can add a picture later. I will look on line for some tutorials as well, probably should have done that anyway.

Last edited:

liphook

Reaction score
There are reel tutorials on the Planet Sea Fishing and Angling Addicts sites. World Sea Fishing also has a mine of information. WD40 is not recommended for lubricating reels - grease for the drive train, oil for bearings.
You should really be using a shock leader for casting anything over 2oz

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There are reel tutorials on the Planet Sea Fishing and Angling Addicts sites. World Sea Fishing also has a mine of information. WD40 is not recommended for lubricating reels - grease for the drive train, oil for bearings.
You should really be using a shock leader for casting anything over 2oz

Thanks Ian and Liphook for the advice, I will have a look for some tutorials on the suggested sites later.
Ive just had a quick look, loads of stuff on you tube on how to take apart etc, one how to untangle a birds nest as well. I will have proper look later, thanks.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Had a go at this today, raining all afternoon. Took the side plate off and removed the spool and couldn't see any obvious wrong. Then I dropped a little brass thing and couldn't find it, on the floor with torch and glasses for 30 mins. Gave up on that so removed the brass thing on the other side, the centrifugal brake shoe- thought it still must be balanced.-eeek.
Anyway put it back together and its all working fine, even the star drag which was never working before. All a bit of a mystery except I think it may be that all the screws were ever so slightly loose. May have just needed a tightening up. I used to work in engineering for a spell on 32 ton lorries. At least I could see the bolts on them.
Anyway alls well that ends well; even an excuse to never hoover again until I find that brass jobie; happy larry.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Then I dropped a little brass thing and couldn't find it
Happen it was the little brass thing that was causing it not to work.
I remember being given a Shakey fixed spool once, cheap one, but not too bad. It's only bad point was the anti-reverse wasn't silent, there was a little noise with it, not too intrusive, but annoying enough. I looked at all the bits on the parts sheet wondering what it could be and there it was - labelled "Noise ..." (Can't remember the second name.) Anyway, took the reel apart and this noise thing just unscrewed and came away, but would the anti-reverse still work?
Yep, and perfectly. no noise. You see, these clever manufacturers put stuff into their products and it's only idiots like us that take them apart and lose bits to make them work better.

EDITBIT: Just found the review I did. Sorry the scan is blurred one end.
shakey reel_0001.jpg

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
WD40 is a water dispersant not a lubricant, If you want something thin that sprays, use GT85. In general the received wisdom about multiplier bearings is, that if they are lively and you keep getting overruns and birdsnests then put a thick oil, like 3 in 1 in them, if you feel you want more distance and overruns aren’t an issue then use GT85, sewing machine oil or TG’s Rocket Fuel.

Setting the end-float up properly also influences casting distance and using the centrifugal brake blocks in the handle end-plate (if the reel has them)

If I was to take up beachcasting again, the only reel I’d consider is an Abu 6500 CT Mag Elite.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Found it, the little brass thing that I lost, now I will have to take it apart again and put this back on the anti drum bar with its mate but I dont think it was this that it made it work again I will have to hoover up now, no more excuses,
see what I mean.

John Keane

Reaction score
Found it, the little brass thing that I lost, now I will have to take it apart again and put this back on the anti drum bar with its mate but I dont think it was this that it made it work again I will have to hoover up now, no more excuses,
see what I mean.

Is it just me or is that photo massively out of focus?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Is it just me or is that photo massively out of focus?

It is, sorry about that, mobile phones. I have just replaced the little brass jobs and put it all back together and it works perfectly, better than before because now the star drag works as well which it never did. In the end I have not actually done anything so I think it just needed tightening up. The contacting screws felt a little loose when I first took it apart, maybe enough to make the innards to malfunction. Anyway, I like this reel so nice to have it back and I now have 4 rods and reels I can use and I am only a fiver lighter. All I need now is a warm day, a light wind, no rain, and a high tide about 1pm and a load of fish, its a toss up whether I will die first.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
These photos are pretty poor, I only mention this as when you strip a reel or anything for that matter a photo is your friend. If you take a picture at each stage of stripping it makes reassembly far easier. If you strip and immediately reassemble it may not be necessary but you could wait for days or weeks for a spare part only to forget how the bloody thing went together, then you haven’t got a reel you’ve got a three dimension jigsaw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
These photos are pretty poor, I only mention this as when you strip a reel or anything for that matter a photo is your friend. If you take a picture at each stage of stripping it makes reassembly far easier. If you strip and immediately reassemble it may not be necessary but you could wait for days or weeks for a spare part only to forget how the bloody thing went together, then you haven’t got a reel you’ve got a three dimension jigsaw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Its a good tip and well taken, thanks, I actually couldn't remember if the plastic bits went on first or the brass bits but I am sure it was the brass bits first.
Regarding my phone pictures for some reason it doesn't take close up shots very well. long shots are perfect but not very close in and I don't have another camera. I have included them in some of my posts on this thread because I thought they would make it clearer what I was doing even if they were out of focus. I am intending to buy a new camera with a telephoto lens for nature shots, I will bear in mind something that can take close ups when I get round to it.

Last edited: