What tackle item do you lose most of?

mikench

Reaction score
I bought a pack of The pretied Drennan red hooks for maggots size 18 ! I dropped the first 2 lengths in the grass at my feet and despite looking for ages and combing the grass with my fingers, I didn't find either. So after 10 minutes the pack is nearly half empty and I haven't even cast a bait!

The grass wasn't even that lush! It defies all logic!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Nowadays its lures. Rocky ground and kelp.
Prior to that, pole winders. Always reckoned that no matter how many I set up I would always find one fewer empty winder at the end of the match. And if I did eventually locate it, would be because I stood on it.

Regarding pole winders, depending on how many topkits I set up, after connecting rig to top kit the winder goes in the rod tube top kits have come from along with the doobry ( the little gadget that stops the elastic chafing on sections when folded over) . come the end of the match remove from tube and put floats back on, Or depending on size of winder, put in an empty maggot tub.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Far be it for me to question method, mikench so don't take the hump, but I really cannot understand how you can lose TWO hook lengths in the grass!! Not to suggest my method is infallable but surely if you were to sit on your seat and place a tea towel (not the wife's) over you lap before removing said hook length, the chances are anything, from hook length to shot, would fall into the tea towel or cloth.
I can only think you're standing up??

To make things easier I have a dark coloured towel as a background so I can see the hook length quite easily and even with my very poor eyes I don't recall loosing very much at all. When it comes to shot I then sit the tackle box on my lap (with towel under!) and this does the collecting of anything carelessly dropped.

TWO hook lengths - Give or take, that's a whole days fishing worth!! Ugh!!

On lost tackle: I am reminded of the Hugh Tempest Sheringham chapter in one of his books under the heading 'A Day of Tribulation' where tackle loss becomes almost an art form. Very amusing and beautifully written....

mikench

Reaction score
I accept the charge of incompetence with resigned alacrity! The first hooklength just slipped through my fingers and despite my knees and chair in the way, it fell to the floor never to be seen again! I then put back the original hooklength and recast! The second new red maggot hooklength was taken out of its packet in readiness and It blew away! C'est la vie but annoying nonetheless!:(

B

binka

Other items of tackle I frequently lose are bivvies, bait buckets, jackets, bib's n' braces and unhooking mats.

Don't know why, but I leave me swim and check all around for any litter or misplaced tackle before departing for home and then get there and think where's all me gear gone?

That damned Realtree camo!