Split shot

john step

Reaction score
I just cannot fix small shot to the line and it i have to put say 6 on it will take me an hour and i will lose 5 for every one i manage! After 3 casts or bites i need to replace 3!

I know i haven't a prayer in putting 12 styls or stotz or their shot equivalent on the puller float i bought so it is consigned to my tackle draws.

If anyone who likes roach fishing wants it you are welcome to it !

Mike, I have an applicator for Stotz. Its a spring loaded wide tweezers in effect. Marketed by Daiwa when I bought it.

Its easier to put two no. 8 together to make a no6 which WONT PING off and can be slid if required.

The secret is to lay a no.8 stotz on your palm with the slot downwards. The tweezers are then opened against the pressure of the spring and you can grip the stotz.

You can then wave it about, take it for a walk or leave it in your tackle box...it is secure:)

Then you just lay your line in the slot of the stotz and squeeze. Done.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Removing the shot from my line in order to re use them is the very reason I use anchor double cut. I re use them until I loose them, and the same shot can last me many outings. Sometimes after a number of uses they may start to slide down the line a little, so if that happens I just trap those shot inbetween the ones that still grip ok.

mikench

Reaction score
I nearly bought a Stotta, a tool marketed by Preston which is for Stotz. I say nearly in that it was returned by Royal mail to the seller on Ebay days overdue by which time i concluded that i was never going to be able to use it( skill and patience) and i received a refund!

I do reuse shot when possible! My wife doesnt understand that certain tackle needs replacing when she notices little parcels arriving!! " Havent you bought that before" she says! "Yes but its like makeup and as you tell me so often it does not self generate" i reply!

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
I reuse as much shot as I can, until it won’t hold on. I lose loads of no 8’s struggle to line them up.
I also reuse hooks cut them off my old hook lengths and re tie.
I reuse float stops too, slightly different way to described above, which actually sounds easier so will give that a go thanks.
Don’t like wasting tackle, I do that enough on bait

Anyone tried Dinsmores grippa styx ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As I said earlier I do recycle shot but not below no 6.....I cannot be doing with fiddlearsing around trying to get no 8's off the line. There are usually thousands in a pot anyway.

I'll reuse big ( and/or expensive) hooks too provided they are basically sound. They get touched up ( oo-er) with a sharpening tool obviously. I'm talking here of sizes 8 ( maybe 10) or bigger, anything smaller gets trashed.

Never thought about trying to reuse float stops but I dont often use them anyway.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have only ever re-used the larger sizes of shot, and even then only if when removing them they have not become burred, as that would cut or weaken the line when reapplied.

Smaller shot I never bother removing or re-using as it is far too much of a “fuff” to be honest . . . . .

rayner

Reaction score
I manage mostly with stotz type shot, pellet wagglers are self loaded.
Up to a couple of year ago I used to waste time trying to reuse No8s but don't bother anymore.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

Reaction score
Shot in sizes six and above are re-usable,opening them with my thumbnail,I use shots with the stainless tool John uses,no problems,I am not keen on using float stops as float stops,I don't find them good enough to hold depth,especially after striking or particularly vigorous fights.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Anyone tried Dinsmores grippa styx ?

I've been using it for the past couple of years. I'm even happier now that they do it in AA size. Previously it only went up to BB. It's just a shame that it's quite difficult to find. When you do find it on-line, it's usually with suppliers that know how to charge for P+P.

rich66

Reaction score
I've been using it for the past couple of years. I'm even happier now that they do it in AA size. Previously it only went up to BB. It's just a shame that it's quite difficult to find. When you do find it on-line, it's usually with suppliers that know how to charge for P+P.

Thanks Sam, sure my local tackle shop has it. I’ll give it a try

john step

Reaction score

Sam, I had not heard of this product before. Am I right in believing that they are shot in the style of stotz, ie long barrel shaped ? If so I will give them a whirl.

Keith M

Reaction score
I like Johns method of keeping his rubber stops and Ill try it next time,

Currently I keep my rubber stops on a small sewing needle after use and it’s a simple job to thread new line through the eye of the needle and slide the recycled stops off the needle onto the new line as long as the eye is large enough; but Johns method sounds good.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam, I had not heard of this product before. Am I right in believing that they are shot in the style of stotz, ie long barrel shaped ? If so I will give them a whirl.

They've been mentioned a time or two on here, but most take little notice, or the chatter veers towards Stotz and the like. Though Grippa Styx are available in the stupidly fiddly sizes, I don't bother with them. For me, they are just cylindrical shot alternatives.

silvers

Reaction score
Shot? I prefer to call them heirlooms!
Always reuse size 6 and larger. Some of those 6s have been in the family over 20 years!
For B.B. and larger I use the smallest blue Drennan silicone tube as a buffer. This does mean that they sometimes ping off. AAA is the size that I have to buy most frequently because of this.

8,10 and 12 are all still lead (although I can’t remember the last time I used a 12.

Dinsmore grippa Styx are ok, i’ve not found them especially better than the anchor shot