Split shot

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've just bit the bullet and ordered two 6 section anchor double cut shot containers.....£12.38 jincluding delivery ffs :eek:mg:.
I only really use bbs, no1's and AAA's so I have loads of tubs in a draw full of all the small ones :rolleyes:.

john step

Reaction score
My dad being from Yorkshire might have something to do with it :)

Being not too far from the Humber I reckon the air has drifted down causing the atmosphere of monetary carefulness to infiltrate Lincs.:wh

john step

Reaction score
I've just bit the bullet and ordered two 6 section anchor double cut shot containers.....£12.38 jincluding delivery ffs :eek:mg:.
I only really use bbs, no1's and AAA's so I have loads of tubs in a draw full of all the small ones :rolleyes:.

TWO??? Lottery win????

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I've been using it for the past couple of years. I'm even happier now that they do it in AA size. Previously it only went up to BB. It's just a shame that it's quite difficult to find. When you do find it on-line, it's usually with suppliers that know how to charge for P+P.

Have you tried Go Outdoors ? they stock a range of Dinsmores tackle .

sagalout

Reaction score
I use and really like the dinsmore grippa styx in the larger sizes (6, 4 and 1) but in the smaller sizes (8, 9, 10, etc)
they're awful, not centrally cut and not cut to a consisent depth, very hard to put on the line and prone to falling off as soon as you look away.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use and really like the dinsmore grippa styx in the larger sizes (6, 4 and 1) but in the smaller sizes (8, 9, 10, etc)
they're awful, not centrally cut and not cut to a consisent depth, very hard to put on the line and prone to falling off as soon as you look away.

Sounds very similar to their split shot.
The shot is hard also and because of this I don't squeeze it on to hard and then it drops off, especialy when a fish pulls back and the line stretches a touch.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Sounds very similar to their split shot.
The shot is hard also and because of tuis I don't squeeze it on to hard and then it drops off, especialy when a fish pulls back and the line stretches a touch.

I have mentioned somewhere before that I like ZLT shot. They seem softer than others I have tried. When re using them however they do not grip so hard. I feel thats a playoff twixt line damage and re use ability.
However if my shot are bulked I cure this with a no. 10 stotz either side of the bulk.
If its at the waggler I use float stops to stop the shot sliding.
Works for me.

sagalout

Reaction score
Sam, my local shop Wye Angling sells the dinsmore styx in sizes above 8, if you want I can check the price, if you like it I can get what you want and post it to you. The post should be minimal, large letter, 2nd class 79p for 100g or £1.26 for 250g, might even get away with a small 2nd class for 58p.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam, my local shop Wye Angling sells the dinsmore styx in sizes above 8, if you want I can check the price, if you like it I can get what you want and post it to you. The post should be minimal, large letter, 2nd class 79p for 100g or £1.26 for 250g, might even get away with a small 2nd class for 58p.

I bit the bullet a few months ago and bought a fair bit direct from Dinsmores. It minimized the pain on what seemed like excessive P+P. As I don't tend to use as much shot these days, I should be OK for a little while. If and when I do need some, probably in time for next season, it's likely to be (brown) refills in AA, BB and No1 sizes. At that point, I may well be in touch. Thanks for the kind offer.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bit the bullet a few months ago and bought a fair bit direct from Dinsmores. It minimized the pain on what seemed like excessive P+P. As I don't tend to use as much shot these days, I should be OK for a little while. If and when I do need some, probably in time for next season, it's likely to be (brown) refills in AA, BB and No1 sizes. At that point, I may well be in touch. Thanks for the kind offer.

Can you re use those styles Chris?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I re-use the Grippa Styx numerous times. However, they do slowly deteriorate, especially when the hinge is stressed unduly (pinched on too hard or opened out too far).

Ok, I was curious as I always thought styx where made for single use. I remember a chap I knew used to have them on his set up pole rigs and he told me the ones he used where no good once they'd been squeezed on the line. He'd try to re use his riggs as often as he could so as to get his moneys worth out of all the bits.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ok, I was curious as I always thought styx where made for single use. I remember a chap I knew used to have them on his set up pole rigs and he told me the ones he used where no good once they'd been squeezed on the line. He'd try to re use his riggs as often as he could so as to get his moneys worth out of all the bits.

That may have been the case with Styl weights, and maybe even with Stotz. The Grippa Styx come in far bigger sizes. They are effectively Dinsmore shot in the same shape as Styl sor Stotz. Only fairly recently have Preston produced Super Stotz in sizes bigger than No.8. However, the biggest Super Stotz is No.1.

The smaller Grippa Styx might be just as awkward to re-use, but I've never even bothered with less than No.8. It's fairly rare that I go smaller than No.6 shot. The most used (and lost) are AA, BB and No.1.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Why does shot vary so much ? During a clear out earlier this year I had a good look at all the shot I'd accumulated and a fair bit of it went straight in the bin. I would also prefer no 8 to SSG in those multi size dispensers.

Still dont really understand why its so expensive.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That may have been the case with Styl weights, and maybe even with Stotz. The Grippa Styx come in far bigger sizes. They are effectively Dinsmore shot in the same shape as Styl sor Stotz. Only fairly recently have Preston produced Super Stotz in sizes bigger than No.8. However, the biggest Super Stotz is No.1.

The smaller Grippa Styx might be just as awkward to re-use, but I've never even bothered with less than No.8. It's fairly rare that I go smaller than No.6 shot. The most used (and lost) are AA, BB and No.1.

Yeah, those sizes are the ones I use most frequently, pretty much all the time to be honest. I can't see the point in using anything smaller than a no1 unless your using fine hooklengths as they just ping off constantly if you do use em.