Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  50
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Split shot

Default Split shot

After reading the thread on lost gear I realised i'm in need of some split shot. I use anchor double cut but the price of it is insane!
    Before I ebay some lead ones from Ireland does anyone know of a outlet for the anchor double cut shot at a reasnable price?

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Default Re: Split shot

Good luck with that, Ian. I needed to restock with shot a while back and nearly fell over when I saw the price.

I went into angling direct last week and bought a pint of maggots and new 8 way anchor shot.

I stood at the counter to pay with a £10 note in my hand thinking that was more than a nought and I would get some change ….

It come to £11.30 (£8.40 for the shot & £2.90 for a pint of maggots)

The small refill tubs are £1.95 each.
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    Good luck with that, Ian. I needed to restock with shot a while back and nearly fell over when I saw the price.
    Whoever is making them is making a serious profit!

Quote Originally Posted by chrissh View Post
    I went into angling direct last week and bought a pint of maggots and new 8 way anchor shot.

I stood at the counter to pay with a £10 note in my hand thinking that was more than a nought and I would get some change ….

It come to £11.30 (£8.40 for the shot & £2.90 for a pint of maggots)

The small refill tubs are £1.95 each.
    Sounds like they stung you on the maggots also.

Blog Entries

I have used my larger shot so many times they struggle to grip the line, smaller stuff I have to hold in my small forceps I drop loads while trying to move it round until the split is facing up so that I can drop the line into it.

I have toyed with getting something else instead of shot but that is even more expensive to loose.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Sounds like they stung you on the maggots also.
    Maggots are £2.90 a pint and casters are £3.40 in angling direct. The cheapest I can find are £2.60 a pint and casters £3.00 but that’s a 30 minuet drive each way
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

Interesting someone else re uses shot time and time again. Tightwads of the world unite.

I use ZLT which are softer to start with. For bulk shot waggler style I use float stop either side of the shot when they start to slip. That or a no. 10 stotz either side which are also moveable.

I also re use the float stops by leaving them on a length of the line when packing up and pulling them onto a loop for storage.

I use the stotz option when they slip on bulk down the line.

PS. About waste of weights...I cannot get my head around the idea of loosing the weight on a take as some carpers do. Are they made of money?
    Last edited by john step; 15-10-2018 at 20:25.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I am not embarrassed to say that I reuse shot too....no 4 and bigger normally, no 6 if I can get them off which I often can't. It really is a silly price now and you only get about 5-6 AAA in a tub. Hooks are cheap by comparison.

With shot so expensive I try to do what i can to reuse it. I float fish much of the time so when I tackle up I add the shot over the tackle box so any dropped falls into the box, and once in a while I recover it. At the end of a session I cut the line above the last shot and remove them for reuse, once home.
    Sounds like a fuff and it is, but with failing eyesight I can drop half a dozen No8 shot before I manage to fix one.....

I hate waste at the best of times just as I hate paying exorbitant prices, so saving as much as I can makes me feel a little better.................

Sad part is, that even buying a number of boxes at one time makes little difference and that is a disgrace..

If the OP, by raising the subject, brings cheaper shot prices to the surface, then he has helped many of us!

ps Don't get me started on maggot prices...........................

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast