Is new better?

steve2

Reaction score
Monkey Climbers out of date but still work well.
I was fishing in some very windy conditions with indicators bouncing around and giving false bites on the alarms. I remember I still had some monkey climbers in my rod bag. A quick change over and no more false bites just some real ones.
Hadn’t used these for years but will start to use them again.
Have you found any use for what is now considered to be out of date and superseded by the latest must have only to find what you already have is better.

morston1

Reaction score
There are quite a few anglers using a swingtip now on the fens....it is a long time since they were popular

rich66

Reaction score
Rather like using a swingtip they seem to be out of fashion, but very good with shy biting fish etc

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Daft as it sounds, you'll always get a indication on the tip of the rod well before it registers on any bobbin, alarm etc. Goi g off that a swing tip or quiver tip is the most sensitive of options if legering.

mikench

Reaction score
I like swing tips too on calm days! I have obtained a spring tip courtesy of Eric on this forum but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet!

daniel121

Reaction score
In short no its not, is the answer in my personal opinion.

I don't think fish care about fashion/trends any more than I do. I've been born with a sceptical a d practical mind, this leads me to analyse products to the raw materials which makes them and the purpose of each material. I don't believe in magic floats, latest catch all peace of plastic or have a favourite lucky t shirts as a result.

I personally still use old quills that must be 60 years old they was hand me downs when I got them as a child. I've never been a fan of swing tips even back in the day, so I'm not with the guys above but hey whatever puts fish on the bank is good, old or new.

Reaction score
I've been watching underwater videos by korda,with Danny Fairbrass explaining fig mechanics,then getting done by the fish,I've no doubt some will work better than others,but as they say another day another dollar,I'm positive that works one day,won't on another and without doubt fish pick up your bait and drop it regularly,certainly many items are better today,but why the hell Drrennan don't re-release carbon chub hooks I'll never know....

mikench

Reaction score
It's no coincidence that the expression" hook ,line and sinker " became popular in relation to human frailties and not the inclinations of fish!

I am as guilty/ susceptible as the next man but I like it!:rolleyes:

Philip

Reaction score
My Fairy Liquid bottle cap still works as an indicator :eek:mg:

If you wanted to be a serious angler in the 80s you had to have different coloured washing up liquid bottle top on each rod. Red, Green & Yellow and all hanging at the same height. ....even 1 inch out of line and you were a noddy.

I always have at least one knocking about in a rig wallet in the back of the car. :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I hated those washing up bottle top indicators. Clip them shut and the bloody things wrapped round the rod on the strike and you'd be struggling to unclip them with something angry pulling on the line. Fish them unclipped and on the strike they'd soar 20feet over your head into the brambles never to be seen again.

That was my experience anyway. Give me a pilot float with a hairgrip on a string any day.

bracket

Reaction score
New better than old not really an issue. As far as I'm concerned new replaces old that no longer functions as it should. What really matters is the method being used which can be timeless. I still do what I've always done, the tackle is replace when nessasary but the application remains the same which is what it must do having been gleaned by experience. Pete

Molehill

Reaction score
Is it coincidence that I post the words "washing up liquid" a few hours ago and now I look to find adverts on the right for...........washing up liquid :mad:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I still carry a couple (along with other rarely used stuff) in my bag and would use them without hesitation. Caught me loads of decent tench way back when, but could be a pain finding them if they flew off!

I have other indicators with chains and screw on bits but they languish in a box somewhere.............I think I was probably fooled into thinking I needed to 'keep up with the Jones's'.