The price of hooks

steve2

Reaction score
I find all hooks are sharp enough now unlike the 60's and 70's when time was spent with a sharpening stone trying to get a sharp point.

Reaction score
Some modern hooks lose their points very easily,in fact a few of the drennan range do,some dont,I think it's more a lucky bream when this happens.

thecrow

Reaction score
For self hooking rigs you want the sharpest hook you can. That is all.

Sorry cannot agree, there comes a point when anything beyond the sharpness that is required to penetrate the mouth of a fish becomes redundant and nothing more than another selling point for Korda. A sharp hook is required no matter what an angler is fishing for, super duper sharp is not.

I have to wonder how any fish were ever caught when the hair rig was first used considering that the hooks were never as sharp as todays hooks are or how I caught on self sharpened hooks that I am sure were not as sharp as what I now use.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I have given up on most hooks now , I only use Guru MWG or LWG now .
I find that mot hooks are blunt after a couple of perch but found the Guru ones stay sharp the longest as someone else said the moment they donbt go straight into a moggot with out being forced thru they get changed it is way to easy to loose fish due to duff hooks

PG ...

iain t

Reaction score
Thought i try to see how long i can catch with the same hook over the last 48 hrs. Size 14 Animal hook to nylon that costs 16p. I kept the same hook but refreshed the hook length a few times. 2 x Rivers mixed bottoms, 1 x Stillwater with a silty bottom. 32 fish with a mix of Rudd, Tench and Carp on Stillwater. Hook still sharp. Still caught me out a few times by hooking myself. Ist River. Sandy to stone bottom. 18 fish Carp, Trout a few Roach. Due to the stoney bottom and weed, the hook had started to lose its edge. 2nd River Stoney and weedy again. 20 fish mix of Rudd, Roach and Bream. So one hook gave me a sack of 70 fish. At the end of the sessions, the hook was pretty dull and more noticeable due to losing more fish. I put this mainly down to the stoney bottom or the Rivers. I would normally change a hook once or twice per session or when needed. So i suppose 16p ain't bad to last me that long.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have given up on most hooks now , I only use Guru MWG or LWG now .
I find that mot hooks are blunt after a couple of perch but found the Guru ones stay sharp the longest as someone else said the moment they donbt go straight into a moggot with out being forced thru they get changed it is way to easy to loose fish due to duff hooks

PG ...

I use the same hooks and always have a box of sticking plasters with me, The QM hooks are deadly, Tubertini 808 hooks are also a good sharp hook.

davebhoy

Reaction score
I use the same hooks and always have a box of sticking plasters with me, The QM hooks are deadly, Tubertini 808 hooks are also a good sharp hook.

The QM hooks are excellent, although I had one straighten last week. It was a size 14 and a 10lb bream though and I still managed to net it

maggot_dangler

Reaction score

Yep ok on the QM hooks nasty things to extract from your finger been there ouchh!!! but i have to say i have tried the Tubertini 808 and was not too impressed with them i also prefer a dark coloured hook inste4ad of the shiny things .

I see the forum barfs on the CORRECT way of spelling Colour nuff said ..

No sticking plasters i am allergic to them but *OG ROLL and masking tape is fine .. :) ..

PG ...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Yep ok on the QM hooks nasty things to extract from your finger been there ouchh!!! but i have to say i have tried the Tubertini 808 and was not too impressed with them i also prefer a dark coloured hook inste4ad of the shiny things .

I see the forum barfs on the CORRECT way of spelling Colour nuff said ..

No sticking plasters i am allergic to them but *OG ROLL and masking tape is fine .. :) ..

PG ...

Try the b911 F1 hooks, sharp and good hook hold. I use 808's for corn and pellet,

Richox12

Reaction score
I would suspect that economies of scale will come into it somewhere. I'd expect the average sea fishing hook to be saleable pretty much anywhere in the world. They'll be lucky to sell the average uk maggot hook is not likely to find much of a market beyond the UK and definitely not beyond western europe.

Exactly that. Many countries in the world will use an Aberdeen type hook or similar. How many use a B911 ??

Reaction score
The QM hooks are excellent, although I had one straighten last week. It was a size 14 and a 10lb bream though and I still managed to net it

Sounds like a duff hook mate to me,the other week I had seven double figure carp to 16lb+ on size 18 qm1's and I was fairly hard on them,as they were on me...

Specihunter

Reaction score
Decent sea hooks aren't cheap and kamasan now to keep the price the same per size. Reduce the number of hooks per packet, the bigger the hook the less you get.